PDA

View Full Version : OT: for my fellow car nuts on the forum...

Climb01742
06-01-2015, 03:43 PM
take a look. a wonderful, surprising twist at the end...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyEPpn3U1TA

CheshireCat
06-01-2015, 04:26 PM
that was bananas.

autobahn I assume?

fuzzalow
06-01-2015, 04:27 PM
Gotta love whatever that [3rd car] owner did to the lump in that car to make it haul like that. Compared to the other two subject cars in the video, that [3rd car] is aerodynamically like pushing a barn door through the wind.

[3rd car] looked solid on the transient lane changes too. Stiffening the suspension on a car that can push through the air like that is not just a luxury, it is survival - start porpoising a car like that at 180kph and there's no assurance one of the wheels won't go light and either go straight or come around.

Louis
06-01-2015, 04:34 PM
Neat - until something bad happens.

At least there wouldn't be any cyclists around, but drivers like that also play those games on roads where there can be bikes.

notsew
06-01-2015, 04:43 PM
I love how the driver just starts cracking up. Any car guy can appreciate a sleeper!

BobO
06-01-2015, 05:10 PM
Gotta love whatever that [3rd car] owner did to the lump in that car to make it haul like that. Compared to the other two subject cars in the video, that [3rd car] is aerodynamically like pushing a barn door through the wind.

Turbo,... big honkin' turbo. :cool:

[3rd car] looked solid on the transient lane changes too. Stiffening the suspension on a car that can push through the air like that is not just a luxury, it is survival - start porpoising a car like that at 180kph and there's no assurance one of the wheels won't go light and either go straight or come around.

...and yet it still appears to be basically stock. Truly nice work, I would guess we're dealing with an engineer who grasps springs and dampers.

azrider
06-01-2015, 05:23 PM
HA....that was awesome. Sent that to a buddy, thanks for sharing

bcroslin
06-01-2015, 07:53 PM
That looks terrifying in the best possible way. With that said, that type of driving belongs on a track and not on the interstate. Hate to be the heavy but that's not cool.

Peter P.
06-01-2015, 07:58 PM
Maybe the Porsche driver wasn't trying to put the VW in its place?

Or maybe you're just referring to the VW's acceleration?

Clue me in.

choke
06-01-2015, 08:02 PM
That looks terrifying in the best possible way. With that said, that type of driving belongs on a track and not on the interstate. Hate to be the heavy but that's not cool.Given that it was in Europe where the laws are different and people actually know how to drive...I have no problem with it.

If you spend a few hours on the Autobahn you'll quickly realize that most US drivers shouldn't have a license.

professerr
06-01-2015, 08:26 PM
That was great.

For those who've not seen this classic "Nemesis!!!", worth spending 2 minutes watching to the end, then once again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPfxtJ8SQgk

bcroslin
06-01-2015, 08:41 PM
Given that it was in Europe where the laws are different and people actually know how to drive...I have no problem with it.

If you spend a few hours on the Autobahn you'll quickly realize that most US drivers shouldn't have a license.

If you spend a few hours in Florida you'd come to the same conclusion. ;)

rounder
06-01-2015, 09:06 PM
Loved the Porsche ride. Thanks.

martl
06-02-2015, 05:30 AM
that was bananas.

autobahn I assume?

yep.

tbf, there's some pretty fast Golf I around. There is a bunch of locals near Nürburgring who have a race-prepped Golf I (nothing fancy, in the 160-180hp range) and use it to chase rich kids in their Ferraris and GTRs for fun.