PDA

View Full Version : 1 drunk driver, 2 dead cyclists -Whistler, BC

Anarchist
06-01-2015, 09:22 AM
Getting sickening.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Three+killed+after+alleged+impaired+driver+cyclist s+Highway+near/11097703/story.html

Ridden that road many times.

Sad.

Black Dog
06-01-2015, 10:01 AM
Sad indeed. Drunk and Distracted driving leads to such sad and avoidable events like this.

Keith A
06-01-2015, 10:15 AM
Yet another tragedy and three families lives are devastated because of a careless, but avoidable act of another.

climbgdh
06-01-2015, 10:42 AM
I followed this closely yesterday since I spend a ton of time in Whistler and have been here the last 3 or 4 days. Horrible tragedy. Don't know any of the victims but have friends that do. Condolences to all affected.

Anarchist
06-01-2015, 09:39 PM
I followed this closely yesterday since I spend a ton of time in Whistler and have been here the last 3 or 4 days. Horrible tragedy. Don't know any of the victims but have friends that do. Condolences to all affected.

So the driver is a chronic offender, currently banned and lives up the valley.....

Perfect. He will not be punished, because it won't be his fault.

Just wonderful.

climbgdh
06-01-2015, 10:03 PM
So the driver is a chronic offender, currently banned and lives up the valley.....

Perfect. He will not be punished, because it won't be his fault.

Just wonderful.

Brutal.... I was just listening to CBC news and they didn't mention this. By up the valley I assume that's Lillooet?

VT Skier
06-02-2015, 07:02 AM
Let's all hope self-driving cars come sooner rather than later.

climbgdh
06-02-2015, 08:11 PM
Driver in this accident had suspended license due to DUI and had no less than 5 previous incidents involving drinking and driving. This is beyond words. When will our system punish these people properly? I don't get it. My Grandfather was killed by a drunk driver 36 years ago and I thought punishments had gotten tougher but these people are still on the roads. Brutal.

Black Dog
06-02-2015, 08:15 PM
Driver in this accident had suspended license due to DUI and had no less than 5 previous incidents involving drinking and driving. This is beyond words. When will our system punish these people properly? I don't get it. My Grandfather was killed by a drunk driver 36 years ago and I thought punishments had gotten tougher but these people are still on the roads. Brutal.

It seems like we will never get it. A car is the only way you can kill someone and not have to face any real consequences. Any other act that endangers the lives of others is actually taken seriously. How can anyone with 5 DUI's not be in jail?????? This is murder.

JAllen
06-02-2015, 09:42 PM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depraved-heart_murder

They need to start charging these monsters.

gone
06-03-2015, 07:24 AM
It seems like we will never get it. A car is the only way you can kill someone and not have to face any real consequences. Any other act that endangers the lives of others is actually taken seriously. How can anyone with 5 DUI's not be in jail?????? This is murder.
I wish I could find a link to the story because I swear I'm not making this up. Here in Wisconsin where a town of 100 people typically has three taverns and DUI enforcement is a complete joke there was a story last fall of a woman who killed someone on her seventh DUI. She had also killed two children (including one of her own) on her third DUI.

I'm not a huge fan of capital punishment but at some point you just have to say "you're clearly not able to play well with others, game over, thanks for playing" and rid society of the problem.

rain dogs
06-03-2015, 07:28 AM
seriously...:crap:

February 2007: Arrested for impaired driving in Fort St. John and convicted later that year. Sentenced in 2008 to a one-year driving prohibition.
December 2008: Arrested for driving with a suspended licence in Lillooet. Sentenced in 2010 to 30 days in jail and a three-year driving prohibition.
October 2009: Arrested for impaired driving in Lillooet. Sentenced in 2010 to 60 days in jail and a three-year driving prohibition.
April 2011: Arrested for operating a motor vehicle while disqualified in Lillooet. Sentenced later that year to 45 days in jail and a three-year driving prohibition.
March 2014: Arrested for driving with a blood alcohol level over .08, and operating a motor vehicle while disqualified. Sentenced in October 2014 to 144 days in jail and a three-year driving prohibition on the first count, and 120 days in jail on the second count.

Then kills three people. :mad:

http://www.cbc.ca/ (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/driver-in-crash-that-killed-whistler-cyclists-had-suspended-licence-for-drunk-driving-1.3097680)

Keith A
06-03-2015, 08:05 AM
Obviously, the fact that he didn't have a license did not stop him from driving. So how do we get drivers like this off the road?

unterhausen
06-03-2015, 08:42 AM
I think the California program that crushes street racer's cars would be a good start. Lend your car to a drunk, it gets crushed.

gone
06-03-2015, 09:04 AM
Obviously, the fact that he didn't have a license did not stop him from driving. So how do we get drivers like this off the road?
I can't help but think there isn't a foolproof technological solution to this e.g., something affixed to the perps body that prevents a car from starting when they're behind the wheel. This is an admittedly simple example but I'd bet that if the best and brightest in the world were behind it something could be created that would be beyond the ability of your average drunk to defeat.

The "punch in a number" system currently in place in some locations is too easily defeated.

And I agree with the earlier comment that self driving cars can't get here soon enough.

soulspinner
06-03-2015, 09:12 AM
seriously...:crap:

February 2007: Arrested for impaired driving in Fort St. John and convicted later that year. Sentenced in 2008 to a one-year driving prohibition.
December 2008: Arrested for driving with a suspended licence in Lillooet. Sentenced in 2010 to 30 days in jail and a three-year driving prohibition.
October 2009: Arrested for impaired driving in Lillooet. Sentenced in 2010 to 60 days in jail and a three-year driving prohibition.
April 2011: Arrested for operating a motor vehicle while disqualified in Lillooet. Sentenced later that year to 45 days in jail and a three-year driving prohibition.
March 2014: Arrested for driving with a blood alcohol level over .08, and operating a motor vehicle while disqualified. Sentenced in October 2014 to 144 days in jail and a three-year driving prohibition on the first count, and 120 days in jail on the second count.

Then kills three people. :mad:

http://www.cbc.ca/ (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/driver-in-crash-that-killed-whistler-cyclists-had-suspended-licence-for-drunk-driving-1.3097680)

THAT is criminal................

JAllen
06-03-2015, 09:30 AM
I think a cold steel cage might work, plus something along the lines of what gone said for when they're out.
I think the California program that crushes street racer's cars would be a good start. Lend your car to a drunk, it gets crushed.
Recycled to make bicycles! :)
I can't help but think there isn't a foolproof technological solution to this e.g., something affixed to the perps body that prevents a car from starting when they're behind the wheel. This is an admittedly simple example but I'd bet that if the best and brightest in the world were behind it something could be created that would be beyond the ability of your average drunk to defeat.

The "punch in a number" system currently in place in some locations is too easily defeated.

And I agree with the earlier comment that self driving cars can't get here soon enough.
Something like a house arrest ankle piece.

Anarchist
06-03-2015, 10:39 AM
And he is going to get a lawyer who will argue that due to his heritage he cannot possibly be responsible for his actions and some stupendously stupid Provincial Court judge will buy it and give him another suspension, possibly a short detention, then he will be free to go do it again ................