PDA

View Full Version : Your best ideas for a club century rest stop?

josephr
06-01-2015, 08:47 AM
I've worked a few rest stops, but now have been given the opportunity for glory --- to head up my own rest stop for our club's fall century!

Its still pretty hot in early Sept, so we'll have towels iced down and everything --- this will be the last stop 18 miles from the end so none of the shorter distance riders -- mostly guys trying finish the full 100.

Soooo...my post is to get the creative juices flowing -- what are some of your best rest stop experiences? We're using a church parking lot, so shots of bourbon is out. :(

Also -- if anyone has a drawing for simple bike parking stands, that'd be helpful!
Thanks!
Joe

Bradford
06-01-2015, 08:49 AM
When I still lived back east and rode the PMC, I always liked it when the last rest stop had a couch made of ice bags. Just sit down and get that all over cool feeling. :banana:

benb
06-01-2015, 08:57 AM
FIRST AID
FIRST AID
FIRST AID

Not sure where your event is being planned but I have rode numerous century type rides where there were no first aid kits at the rest stops. If you had a minor crash and wanted to clean yourself up or get a bandage you had no option except to let the ambulance come pick you up and abandon your ride.

I was one of about 20 people who had crashed on wet train tracks on a century in the white mountains.. I ended up riding an additional 15 miles off course to go to a pharmacy just to get some antiseptic spray and gauze to clean my rash up so I could continue the ride.

The other thing I have noticed is some rides have a tendency to only have water at the early stage rest stops.. really annoying, buy the time you get to the 50-60 mile rest stops you are dehydrated and hungry since water doesn't replenish electrolytes. Same issue if the rest stops are under provisioned and slower riders get there after all the food is gone.

I tend to not bother with these events any more, if you are going to charge me a bunch of money and claim to offer support I do not want to have to stop to buy my own food or procure my own first aid if something goes wrong.

roguedog
06-01-2015, 09:02 AM
Roasted red potatoes with salt, olive oil and some garlic or rosemary
COLD water
Maybe something like a mist "tunnel" ppl can walk thru

tumbler
06-01-2015, 09:25 AM
--- this will be the last stop 18 miles from the end so none of the shorter distance riders -- mostly guys trying finish the full 100.
We're using a church parking lot, so shots of bourbon is out. :(

Maybe some shots of EPO to help them pull hard thru the finish?

FlashUNC
06-01-2015, 09:34 AM
Cold, wet washcloths.

Wipe down with one of those bad boys and you suddenly feel like a million bucks.

Also, ice cold mini cans of Coke. Like nitro jet fuel for the finish line.

MattTuck
06-01-2015, 09:38 AM
You could do finishing bottles, but that is kinda shady.

I like the idea of the salted potatoes. Salt is good if you've been sweating all day.

cderalow
06-01-2015, 09:45 AM
Roasted red potatoes with salt, olive oil and some garlic or rosemary

COLD water

Maybe something like a mist "tunnel" ppl can walk thru

Sounds yummy but heavy for the last 15 miles.

Water Gatorade coke chips ice bars gels.

eddief
06-01-2015, 09:49 AM
your head in a tub of cool water. Or tubs of water with pitchers near buy so you can lean over, scoop water, pour over head. Or have attendants do the pouring. towels.

seanile
06-01-2015, 09:54 AM
a couple mini golf holes would be nice.

bicycletricycle
06-01-2015, 09:57 AM
salty food
cold beverages

peanuts and coca cola
fritos and gatorade?
olives and lemonade ??

mg2ride
06-01-2015, 09:57 AM
Place to sit in the shade!

Otherwise cold water/Gatorade and light snacks.

The cold towel sounds great!

echelon_john
06-01-2015, 10:01 AM
Peeled hard boiled eggs and a salt shaker
Ice couch is a great idea! Never heard that one.
Hoodsies (ice cream cups)
Popsicles

sandyrs
06-01-2015, 10:27 AM
A rest stop treat I will remember for the rest of my life is chunks of watermelon in- and I know it sounds gross- pickle juice. The combination of sweet/salty was shockingly tasty and exactly what the body needs near the end of a grueling day.

Idris Icabod
06-01-2015, 10:45 AM
I did a century where they had M and M's in little cups, grab a cup and had a little snack on top of the usual bananas etc.

Second the small cans of coke idea. I did the Triple Bypass probably 10 years ago and a young guy (maybe 6 or 7 years old) and his Mother had parked up on the top of the second pass in their SUV loaded with cans. Wasn't affiliated to the ride, just Dad was doing it and they thought it was a nice thing to do. Gotta love nice people.

Louis
06-01-2015, 10:47 AM
A PA system blasting Queen's "We Are the Champions" followed by "Another One Bites the Dust" in permanent alternation.

OtayBW
06-01-2015, 10:54 AM
We do tomato sandwiches. This year, we will include pickles!

deechee
06-01-2015, 10:57 AM
I hate port-a-potties. Especially the ones cooking in the sun. It smells absolutely rank and you walk into a furnace. As others said, shade, grass, water, and first aid would definitely be nice. If you don't have grass, at least chairs to sit on. benches, plastic garden stuff, who cares. Something to put your butt on.

A Di2 charging station haha. No joke, I was at a training camp over the weekend and two ppl with dead batteries. I don't know why they stopped riding (we had a support vehicle) but eesh, talk about people who don't prepare.

zennmotion
06-01-2015, 11:15 AM
If it's hot, deploy young kids armed with super squirt guns and garden hoses, release the beasts! Ugliest jersey contest, or just prizes for likely ugly jersey candidates as they ride in- same kids can vote. Prizes can be ridiculous- how about slim jims, individual size boxes of froot loops, rubber dinosaurs, plastic tiaras, dog bicuits? Streamers and pinwheel accessories for through traffic bikes, or spoke noise makers. Get the choir out singing some gospel and happy hymns! Or you need an awful garage band playing. Or parts of a school marching band- tuba and drums are really all that's necessary. At one event I was at, they had a bagpiper. I'm not really a fan of bagpipes, but it made me tear up anyway. Gallons of unsweetened iced tea- I get so sick of sugared drinks on event rides, man I'd do about anything for a good cold cup of tea- ideally with mint or lemon. HAND OUT POPSICLES (mmm... purple!)!!!! When I'm hot and exhausted at a rest stop- cool me off, give me something cold to drink besides gatorade or tepid water, then make me laugh, at you or at myself, then squirt me in the ass with a hose as I'm heading back onto the Endless Trail of Certain Death. Good luck!

zennmotion
06-01-2015, 11:15 AM
We do tomato sandwiches. This year, we will include pickles!

Brilliant! Pickles!!!:hello:

zennmotion
06-01-2015, 11:18 AM
your head in a tub of cool water. Or tubs of water with pitchers near buy so you can lean over, scoop water, pour over head. Or have attendants do the pouring. towels.

Yes! A tub of cold water to dunk your head! You want a banana? HTFU... You gotta bob in the tub to grab the banana with your teeth...

jmoore
06-01-2015, 11:33 AM
One of the rallies I did had guys handing out bandana's that were soaked in ice water. That was about 15 miles from the finish and they were very welcome.

zennmotion
06-01-2015, 11:38 AM
I

Also -- if anyone has a drawing for simple bike parking stands, that'd be helpful!
Thanks!
Joe

Here is a manufactured rack used for races and events, you just hang the bike by the front of the seat. You could easily make something like this from some 2X2 wood or PVC piping.
http://images.jensonusa.com/large/ra/ra409a19sil.jpg

I don't know if you have a CX scene down there, but if you do, the local racing organization might have these in storage for CX events- I know they have them here for the various mid-atlantic series- so check in with a local race promoter, no sense in making something if you can just borrow. I don't know why you would really need a rack anyway unless there is no grass or unpaved ground around the parking lot. If unpaved space is limited, you could also set up some volunteers as bike valets to keep the parking organized in a small space- our local bike advocacy org does valet service for big public events in DC, they put your bike into a fenced off protected space. Kids could also do that... I am a huge fan of child labor...

Hank Scorpio
06-01-2015, 11:46 AM
How about a few autographed copies of "The Adventures of Ford Fairlane" on VHS for the first riders to arrive?

zennmotion
06-01-2015, 11:55 AM
A PA system blasting Queen's "We Are the Champions" followed by "Another One Bites the Dust" in permanent alternation.

... or anything by Abba, or the Village People. Oh, wait. This is 'bama. never mind.

josephr
06-01-2015, 12:02 PM
How about a few autographed copies of "The Adventures of Ford Fairlane" on VHS for the first riders to arrive?

we have a guy around these parts who's riding in RAAM and his personal goal is 5 million feet of climbing this year ---a sub 5-hour century for him is a 'rest day' ....so, any prize for first likely to have a predetermined recipient.

we've been doing pickles for years --- green olives are great too! ---another stop on our group does bacon/tomato sandwiches. Frozen pickle-juice pops are awesome.

definitely going to use some of these ideas!!! keep'em coming!!!
Thanks!
Joe

Jaq
06-01-2015, 12:28 PM
You gotta bob in the tub to grab the banana with your teeth...

http://www.nsma.org.au/pics2010/cigarspa.jpg

merlinmurph
06-01-2015, 12:28 PM
The best rest stop I can remember is near the end of D2R2 at Apex Orchards. Fresh, juicy peaches. Best peaches I've ever had.

After the ride, the wife and I stopped to buy some peaches to bring home.

Tony T
06-01-2015, 01:58 PM
Anything and Nutella! :)

Bob Ross
06-01-2015, 03:31 PM
Second the small cans of coke idea. I did the Triple Bypass probably 10 years ago and a young guy (maybe 6 or 7 years old) and his Mother had parked up on the top of the second pass in their SUV loaded with cans. Wasn't affiliated to the ride, just Dad was doing it and they thought it was a nice thing to do. Gotta love nice people.

When I did the Markleeville Death Ride in 2010 there was a Boy Scout Troop that had set up atop one of the passes maybe 200 yards past the official rest stop. As you would approach one or two younguns would run up to you and ask "Did you remember to top off your water bottles?" If you hadn't they would encourage you to keep riding, they'd take your bottle(s), go fill them from an ice water keg in the back of Mom's station wagon, and then they would chase you down to give you back your now-full bottles before you'd gotten too far!

palincss
06-01-2015, 05:23 PM
Ice.

msl819
06-01-2015, 05:43 PM
Brilliant! Pickles!!!:hello:

ICE cold cokes and pickles! I am in the south like you and after a long hot summer/fall ride I crave pickles and pickled okra!

bigbill
06-01-2015, 06:00 PM
I put on a century in South Carolina in the mid 90's that had lots of positive feedback. I challenged local grocery stores to man a rest stop and told them at a minimum that they needed sliced fruit, cold water, and some kind of cold sports drink. After that, they could do whatever they wanted. The course was unique with a hourglass shape with the start finish at the "waist". The stores tried to one-up each other leading up to and during the event. One stop had a keg, another had ice cream, and one with hot dogs and hamburgers off the grill. It wasn't a course to lose weight.

Work with the local Chamber of Commerce and see what businesses are new to area, who is having a sales campaign, and who is looking to expand. Cyclists are a good group, we'll spend thousands on a bike, we'll spend on businesses that support cycling.

shovelhd
06-01-2015, 08:43 PM
Kegerator

Fiertetimestwo
06-01-2015, 08:55 PM
I really appreciated that the Audax Club who organize the Alpine Classic in Australia have a guy with a tub of warm soapy water whose job it is to clean and dry your sunglasses.

It was a real luxury to have someone take your glasses caked in sweat and suncream and hand them back sparkling clean!

rounder
06-01-2015, 09:05 PM
The Seagull Century in Maryland (flat) offers apple pie and ice cream at the last stop. Not sure how nutritional it is, but it tastes really great after a long ride. Sometimes they have a band there. Good luck with your ride.

schwa86
06-01-2015, 09:12 PM
Big posters of cold beer to remind you why you need to finish...

old fat man
06-01-2015, 09:20 PM
It's 18 miles to the finish? How about a sign saying "Closed, but you're only 18 miles away from the end."

Or, ice cream sandwiches. That's what I look for at my last rest stop on a long hot ride. Just enough to get me through the last hour or two.

charliedid
06-01-2015, 09:43 PM
Did anybody say ice cream? And snickers and 3 minute chair massage...

And ice cream.

bikinchris
06-01-2015, 10:44 PM
Once, I bought a sandwich tray from a local restaurant in exchange for using their restrooms. The riders tore up the sandwich tray. At 80 miles you are sick and tired of bananas and Fig Newtons.

Mint or peppermint or some other strong scent on the cold towels will make them even more refreshing.

TurboNate
06-01-2015, 10:58 PM
Watermelon and salt!

Also could make some watermelon helmets(Google it) it's truly refreshing and entertaining. Some off bike humor at that point could be priceless.

benito
06-02-2015, 01:04 AM
horchata.

watermelon lemonade.

sparkling rose`.

okay scratch that: ice luge of modelo.

donn12
06-02-2015, 06:07 AM
I did a 60 mile MTB event and they had tomato and mayo or tomato and hummus sandwiches. Dump some salt on it and wow....maybe the best thing I have eaten. They also served ice cold coca cola....it was kind of like visiting heaven

martl
06-02-2015, 06:53 AM
i always liked centuries that offered on the last rest stop something a bit special, i.e. other than the usual cookies/powerbars/water/isostar monotony.
This could be anything, from barbecued sausages to the glass of Chianti (i know alcohol is off limits for you).
What about adding some Eroica style? slices of white italian bread with olive oil, salt and pepper?

aosty
06-02-2015, 11:41 AM
The Belgian Waffle Ride has an "oasis" at around mile 120... hot girls in bikinis, margaritas, a cooler of beer, and pickle juice shots.

:banana: :hello:

beeatnik
06-02-2015, 12:57 PM
Those girls are amazing. After standing out there for hours they're still super nice and, um, helpful. I had a margarita, a beer and some spritzing last year.

California Gravel Gauntlet p/b Superpro Racing had dope rest stops. At the Rumble in the Ranchlands the last stop came before the hardest, most mindnumbing section. They had grilled cheese sammies. First stop had delicious pancakes; the 2nd had tasty hot dogs and sausages. Bulleit and Oskar Blues beerz also flowed freely.

Doesn't take much....
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/554/18203823668_aaf8f5848a_c.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7640/16128415794_e86025dd83_b.jpg

vqdriver
06-02-2015, 01:51 PM
At 80 miles you are sick and tired of bananas and Fig Newtons.

agreed. you can add chex mix to that

all the suggestions for something savory vs sweet are right on. but really, at the last stop of the day, i'm not looking to refuel as much as a quick boost to finish strong. eggs, potatoes, etc would be great at stop 3 or so but too heavy at mile 80 imo.

pickles sound perfect. maybe something with texture too. like ritz/saltines or croutons.

fwiw, misting stations don't have to be elaborate. it can be as simple as a garden hose with a mister attached to the end. have a couple of those on a hot day and you're golden.

but having enthusiastic volunteers is key. riders are tired. give em the emotional boost of cheerful people and the last section will go by much faster.

have fun. be the hero!

tiretrax
06-02-2015, 02:17 PM
I love the idea of a couch made of ice bags, a drive through mister system (can get at home depot), and a sign that says last rest stop is closed (I laughed for five minutes at the thought of that). I also suggest stockings filled with ice, ice to put in ones helmet, and bandanas soaked in water (could be from a sponsor with their logo).

Cola and something more than bars/cookies. I'm sick of that stuff by mile 70.

peanutgallery
06-02-2015, 05:28 PM
I have it on good authority that there is an endurance dirt motorcycle event in Indiana (could be ohio or Illinois) and the last checkpoint is managed by a local nudist colony

Imagine the surprise

Louis
06-02-2015, 05:50 PM
I have it on good authority that there is an endurance dirt motorcycle event in Indiana (could be ohio or Illinois) and the last checkpoint is managed by a local nudist colony

Probably attributable to hallucinations at the end of a tough ride.

cv1966
06-02-2015, 06:12 PM
Cold, wet washcloths.

Wipe down with one of those bad boys and you suddenly feel like a million bucks.

Also, ice cold mini cans of Coke. Like nitro jet fuel for the finish line.

Yes on both. A ice cold washcloth is fantastic late on a hot ride. Cokes are always good.

notsew
06-02-2015, 06:21 PM
When I did STP last year in 90+ degree weather, the last stop had a misting "doorway" made of pvc tubing. You just walked through and got a fine misting head to toe. It was glorious.