PDA

View Full Version : Issue with Easton Ascent ii spoke replacement

Fishy1923
05-31-2015, 09:26 PM
A spoke busted on my front Easton Ascent ii wheel. I was 10 miles from home so I wrapped the spoke around another spoke to keep it from hitting the fork etc., not thinking much about it. Turns out it isn't a easily replaceable spoke as it's double threaded. Shop has said they have left four messages with Easton and have not received a response. So, I'm trying to see if I can find a way to find it myself but not having much luck. I found the ebay auction below (which I believe would be a correct spoke), but it is in Europe. Anyone have any ideas how to find a replacement? I do not know a thing about spokes so any help would be appreciated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-x-EASTON-ASCENT-2-DOUBLE-TWIN-THREADED-DRIVESIDE-SPOKE-292mm-SILVER-700c-/351390990575?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51d08900ef

kramnnim
05-31-2015, 09:35 PM
Need someone with a spoke threader...

http://www.mrrabbit.net/oscommerce-2.3.3/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=85

TBLS
06-01-2015, 05:28 AM
Easton's website has an FAQ that spokes are available thru bicycle parts distributors and from Easton directly. They have always responded when I have called or used the email contact feature so may want to go direct vs the shop

Gummee
06-01-2015, 06:56 AM
A month and X phone messages later and we're still waiting for spokes from Easton.

Got a complete wheel to relace...

OP: If you a shop with a Phil Wood machine, you can have em cut/roll spokes as needed. If you're trolling ebay, try Velomax in your search too. The early Easton wheels were re-branded Velomax-es

M

oldpotatoe
06-01-2015, 07:00 AM
A month and X phone messages later and we're still waiting for spokes from Easton.

Got a complete wheel to relace...

OP: If you a shop with a Phil Wood machine, you can have em cut/roll spokes as needed. If you're trolling ebay, try Velomax in your search too. The early Easton wheels were re-branded Velomax-es

M

Call Nick at Wheels Manufacturing. They have a Morizumi machine and if he knows the length, he can roll double ended spokes.

cmbicycles
06-01-2015, 11:30 AM
The hub side of the spoke has a few mm longer threaded portion if I recall, so harder to replicate on a Phil machine, not sure about a Morizumi as i've never used one. It can be done or extended with the Hozan (or similar) threader.

The spokes aren't too hard to replace, you just have to unthread the portion from the hub... if it broke at the hub flange you unthread it from the inside where the axle goes (have to take the axle out first), which is slow going but not terribly difficult if you have some pliers to fit in there (preferably small vise-grips) to grab the end of the spoke that protrudes. If it broke higher up the spoke you have a much easier time getting the spoke out. I used to put a little heat on the hub shell first.

That said, spokes from Easton aren't that much $, as long as you can get a hold of them. Did you or your shop measure the spoke to see how long you need it?

Fishy1923
06-01-2015, 09:29 PM
Thanks all for the replies. I emailed Easton and they said they do not have them in stock but gave me the following measurements.I'll plan on calling Wheels manufacturing and give them the measurements.

SPOKE SS T3 2.0/1.7 296 - Ascent II 700 Front

regularguy412
06-01-2015, 10:00 PM
FWIW, I've had very good results when dealing with Easton. I will say, tho, that my experience was before they were bought out. So YMMV.

Mike in AR:beer:

Hermes_Alex
06-01-2015, 11:51 PM
2.0-1.7-2.0 butting roughly corresponds to a Wheelsmith DB14, even though the older Easton/Velomax wheels like that used a now-discontinued Sapim spoke with the same profile. Like others mentioned, you will need to cut and thread both ends of the spoke, a service I imagine Wheels MFG can do for you.