PDA

View Full Version : John Kerry breaks leg on bike ride

djg21
05-31-2015, 07:05 AM
GENEVA (AP) — U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry broke his leg in bike crash Sunday, apparently after hitting a curb, and scrapped the rest of a four-nation trip that included an international conference on combating the Islamic State group.

http://www.timesunion.com/news/politics/article/Secretary-Kerry-flown-to-Swiss-hospital-after-6297322.php

572cv
05-31-2015, 07:21 AM
I hope he is ok. Also hope his Serotta is ok! :)

bicycletricycle
05-31-2015, 07:23 AM
Would you pay more for a john Kerry owned serotta?

:)

Hope it's not his femur

soulspinner
05-31-2015, 07:47 AM
His sunglasses are too small for his face in the pic released. Also, does a very wealthy guy still have 7800 on his bike?

Anarchist
05-31-2015, 08:09 AM
.... does a very wealthy guy still have 7800 on his bike?

Does it work??

shovelhd
05-31-2015, 08:15 AM
No pseudo-PMC for him this year I guess. How's the Ottrot?

gemship
05-31-2015, 08:38 AM
Oh goody this thread topic is just a locker for sure:fight:

Just to keep it bicycle related look on the bright side. This accident can only help the cause for better bicycle infrastructure.

Mr. Pink
05-31-2015, 08:43 AM
His sunglasses are too small for his face in the pic released. Also, does a very wealthy guy still have 7800 on his bike?

Maybe a better question is why do so many guys who basically have no money have to have the latest 10,000 dollar bicycle every few years?

gemship
05-31-2015, 08:46 AM
Maybe a better question is why do so many guys who basically have no money have to have the latest 10,000 dollar bicycle every few years?

So true, it seems like everybody just buys things on credit. They may make good money but the money is already spoken for.

ultraman6970
05-31-2015, 08:50 AM
Wonder if he has obamacare :P

bicycletricycle
05-31-2015, 08:50 AM
7800 is sweet, those hoods are like barends.

mistermo
05-31-2015, 09:19 AM

M'eh. Who cares. Too many white guys on bikes anyway. n-1.

JAllen
05-31-2015, 09:23 AM
Hope he is ok! To have broken bones at his age can be deadly.

As gemship said, hopefully this can become a rallying cry for better infrastructure. It seems to take someone "better" than all of us to have something happen to to change things.

JAllen
05-31-2015, 09:25 AM
M'eh. Who cares. Too many white guys on bikes anyway. n-1.
Haha! :)

buddybikes
05-31-2015, 09:25 AM
Knew this would go down hill fast. Please keep it positive.

He is one tough ass, doing the schedule he is doing and keeping in top shape after beating prostate cancer. Read on another forum when he was a senator, he was riding a pass in Colorado dropping people.

Wondering when he would drop in and get sized for a Firefly, his home base. Good bucket list purchase, seems to ride more than sail...

sailorboy
05-31-2015, 09:35 AM
Mebbe it was that Euro 'road furniture' that caught him off guard a bit. I know he's getting up there and all, but surely he is a better rider than that to simply run into a curb. The roads are definitely a little different over there.

bcroslin
05-31-2015, 09:35 AM

He's in Switzerland where they don't check your bank account and employment status before deciding on your quality of care. :)

d_douglas
05-31-2015, 09:46 AM
Just checked out the article and realized this happened in Geneva - my old stomping ground. The first photo shows the World Health Organization's HQ - my old office window is even in there!

I hope he is doing OK in those gnarly Swiss hospitals ;) . When my wife gave birth to our kids a few years ago, we commented that the food they served us was better than lots of restaurant food!

The ride from Lausanne to Geneve is a great one - if you've got to break your leg on a bike ride, that's not a bad one - good wishes to Mr K...

witcombusa
05-31-2015, 09:55 AM
Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy...;)

Cicli
05-31-2015, 10:03 AM
Hope he heals up and gets back on his bike. Hate to see a cyclist get hurt doing something they enjoy.

I also hope this thread dosent degenerate into political garbage arguments. I hate politics. It brings out the worst in people.

93legendti
05-31-2015, 10:05 AM
He's in Switzerland where they don't check your bank account and employment status before deciding on your quality of care. :)

Ah, not so much. From the article:

"Kerry decided to seek treatment at Massachusetts General Hospital because the fracture is near the site of his earlier hip surgery, Kirby said."

rwsaunders
05-31-2015, 10:07 AM
According to the BBC, he actually had the accident in the French Alps, was flown to Geneva and now he's being flown to Mass General.

93legendti
05-31-2015, 10:08 AM
Mebbe it was that Euro 'road furniture' that caught him off guard a bit. I know he's getting up there and all, but surely he is a better rider than that to simply run into a curb. The roads are definitely a little different over there.

Yup.

"around the time of his fall, a Twitter feed about local driving conditions warned of the danger due to gravel along the pass. According to the newspaper, some Haute Savoie officials were with Kerry..."

Hitting a curb due to gravel- no amount of bicycle infrastructure spending will prevent that. Not every bicycle accident due to poor handling can be fixed by more spending.

d_douglas
05-31-2015, 10:12 AM
I never said that I could read! Oops, well he is missing out on a pretty great hospital experience, if there is such a thing.

And it is private healthcare in Suisse - they do check to see what kind of coverage you have before you go into an exam room! As a Canadian, it was weird, but the closest thing to a U.S. hospital that I have experienced.

Mr. Pink
05-31-2015, 10:26 AM
Just heard that he "is expected to make a full recovery". Uh, maybe, but, something tells me that a man in his seventies, no matter how studly he is, will have problems coming back from a femur break "close to a previous hip injury". Hey, he's rich and powerful as hell, but, he ain't immortal. Good luck to him, though. As a sixty two year old with great insurance, I'll be very encouraged if I see him on a bike in a year or so.

Aaron O
05-31-2015, 10:32 AM
I think it's awesome that he's out there riding and I hope he heals up well.

Mr. Pink
05-31-2015, 10:43 AM

Just an aside, but I just read an op-ed piece in the NYT today about the hazards of living with children in massively polluted India, and the author stated that treatment was withheld from the author's child (!) in a hospital until a 1000 dollar charge on a credit card cleared. Now, that's compassion.

572cv
05-31-2015, 10:43 AM
Some of us with (now) dated Serottas keep them because they handle wonderfully and ride great. Don't race any more, don't need a new bike regularly. I bet if JK needs a new ride, he'll head towards Seven or Firefly, or maybe IF. That's what I'll do, although I'll also have Ericksen on the rear screen.

I wish all of our political leaders worked out regularly. It clears the head and helps you make better decisions. Especially riding, where you have to focus on the task at hand, you can really separate yourself from the work world for a time, and the things you are worrying about can be processed in the background of your mind for a while.

Mr. Pink
05-31-2015, 10:46 AM
Christie needs to burn off some of that anger with some miles, for sure.

thirdgenbird
05-31-2015, 11:42 AM

-it works better than 7900 (reportedly)
-7900 is ugly
-7800 still looks better than 9000 on some frames
-because silver
-the cassettes fit on ck classic hubs (which can be had cheap now)

If I were forced to ride shimano, there is a good chance I would pick 7800 regardless of cost. Downtube shifters, ck classic hubs and a ck bottom bracket please.

1centaur
05-31-2015, 12:32 PM
"Paramedics and a physician were on the scene with his motorcade at the time and provided him immediate attention. They quickly decided to order the 10-minute-long helicopter transport."

Great to have a doctor there with you all the time (though expensive for taxpayers), but I think I would be bummed to be forced to ride with a motorcade behind me just because of my position in government. Maybe for politicians who crave attention all the time it's like breathing, but the meditation offered by cycling would be ruined for me if I was climbing a mountain at 7mph with a number of cars puttering along 50 yards back, especially if I was on a bad day.

As for his choice of hospitals, I'm sure he is also considering security, continuity of care and ease of doing his job.

93legendti
05-31-2015, 12:48 PM
I broke my femur years ago. I recovered extremely quickly. Kerry is in VG condition and he isn't over weight. Barring complications (like I had and overcame), I expect him to recover quickly, especially if he gets a thompson rod-at least that's what the protocol was 35 years ago...

If it's a compound fracture, recovery will likely be more difficult.

oldpotatoe
05-31-2015, 01:38 PM

He has the same thing members of congress and I have, post USN. Mine called Tri-Care, government program...very, very good. Private Doc, little or no co-pay...about $50 per month for both of us. All ya gotta do is spend 20 years in the military or be a member of the Government.

Andreas
05-31-2015, 01:45 PM
Also, does a very wealthy guy still have 7800 on his bike?

Because it is the best mechanical shifting group that ever was.

gemship
05-31-2015, 01:46 PM

as well as the best brakes

gary135r
05-31-2015, 02:25 PM
According to the BBC, he actually had the accident in the French Alps, was flown to Geneva and now he's being flown to Mass General.
This according to Boston.com. "The Dauphine Libere, a local newspaper, said Kerry fell near the beginning of his ride to the famed mountain pass called the Col de la Colombiere, which has been a route for the Tour de France more than a dozen times."

soulspinner
05-31-2015, 03:31 PM

Ok it was tongue in cheek, but come on, better than DI2????:)

numbskull
05-31-2015, 03:32 PM
I broke my femur years ago. I recovered extremely quickly. Kerry is in VG condition and he isn't over weight. Barring complications (like I had and overcame), I expect him to recover quickly, especially if he gets a thompson rod-at least that's what the protocol was 35 years ago...

Wrong, I think (although I am not an orthopedist).

Sounds like he broke a hip that already had a prosthesis in it. This is often bad. Usually they snap just below shaft of the ball prosthesis. This is about 15-20 cm from the joint itself. It means they likely need to replace a significant portion of his proximal femur with a special prosthesis that extends down the bone this distance.

A lot depends on how clean or fragmented a break it is. I'd not be surprised if his bike riding days are done

gary135r
05-31-2015, 04:03 PM
A lot depends on how clean or fragmented a break it is. I'd not be surprised if his bike riding days are done

That would suck. I know a broken bone is different, but that's why I'm delaying a hip replacement as long as I can for fear of not being able to cycle. I know there are success stories, but I'm fearful of complications

rnhood
05-31-2015, 04:12 PM
I don't think its that bad, although most any type fracture is not good. But he will fly back tomorrow and is expected to make a full recovery. That is what is currently being reported.

Ralph
05-31-2015, 04:55 PM
That would suck. I know a broken bone is different, but that's why I'm delaying a hip replacement as long as I can for fear of not being able to cycle. I know there are success stories, but I'm fearful of complications

Got a buddy with a hip replacement, believe about 72, who still rides about 8000 miles per year. Lives in Florida, but currently on a 6 month trip around the West in his Airstream. Not slowing him down any. He hikes a lot also, currently adding to his 14's collection of climbs around Colorado.

If you would like to contact him, PM me and I'll give you contact info. He likes to talk about it. Believe he has already worn out one hip joint, replaced it, and still going strong. He's up on type of joint best for cycling. I have trouble keeping up with on a ride.

gary135r
05-31-2015, 05:14 PM
I'll PM you

Avincent52
05-31-2015, 06:11 PM
I think it's really cool he rides a Serotta.
If I had his money I'd ride something made-to-measure with a gleaming Italian gruppo and silk tubulars (and a support van with a dozen wheels following behind.)
In any case, here's hoping for a quick recovery.
And as bad as Kerry's day was, it was better than Joe Biden's.

Rada
05-31-2015, 06:13 PM
Ok it was tongue in cheek, but come on, better than DI2????:)

He did say mechanical shifting, so probably not so tongue in cheek. Personally I would agree.

shovelhd
05-31-2015, 06:37 PM

Truth.

OldCrank
05-31-2015, 06:40 PM
I hope I'm able to ride in the non-infrastructure-improved Alps when I'm 71.

Give the doctors their due, he'll be back on that Serotta soon.

Seramount
05-31-2015, 07:14 PM
I hope Mr. Kerry returns to riding his bike asap.

wish more public figures participated in our sport.

gasman
05-31-2015, 11:53 PM
Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy...;)

Please avoid political views. This is a pretty serious fracture on a man who loves to ride. Think of how good our cycling infrastructure could be if all politicans rode their bikes.

Llewellyn
06-01-2015, 04:02 AM
as well as the best brakes

Swapped out my 6500 brakes for a pair of 7800's - I couldn't believe how much better they were / still are (and the 6500's were fine).

Oh, and I hope he recovers soon.

oldpotatoe
06-01-2015, 06:03 AM
I think it's really cool he rides a Serotta.
If I had his money I'd ride something made-to-measure with a gleaming Italian gruppo and silk tubulars (and a support van with a dozen wheels following behind.)
In any case, here's hoping for a quick recovery.

Yes, very sad. When any parent loses a child.

soulspinner
06-01-2015, 06:13 AM
He did say mechanical shifting, so probably not so tongue in cheek. Personally I would agree.

Campy. Accept no substitute.:)

fuzzalow
06-01-2015, 06:52 AM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery to Mr. Kerry.

He, like everyone of us, will look forwards to getting back on the bike and will fight with all possible effort to not have this accident take away his ability to ride again. In this, we are all the same.

I am absolutely certain that he, like we, would have asked the same question, among the first of many questions, to the doctors that patched him, and us, up afterwards: "How long before I can get back on the bike?".

oldpotatoe
06-01-2015, 06:54 AM
And probably constant state of sleep deprivation, I'm surprised he still has the energy to ride at all. Bravo and quick recovery to Mr Kerry.

William
06-01-2015, 07:02 AM
And probably constant state of sleep deprivation, I'm surprised he still has the energy to ride at all. Bravo and quick recovery to Mr Kerry.

:beer:

William

OtayBW
06-01-2015, 07:03 AM
And probably constant state of sleep deprivation, I'm surprised he still has the energy to ride at all. Bravo and quick recovery to Mr Kerry.Yes, but riding could be one of the best tools for helping with jet lag.

TimD
06-01-2015, 07:43 AM
Please avoid political views. This is a pretty serious fracture on a man who loves to ride. Think of how good our cycling infrastructure could be if all politicans rode their bikes.

Not only does he love to ride, he loves to serve his country even more, and has done so his entire life. He's got way more money than time, yet spends most of that time flying around the world trying to solve insoluble problems in ways which don't involve the deaths of young Americans.

Just sayin'.

gemship
06-01-2015, 08:05 AM
All kidding aside I don't care what he does just don't get hurt on the taxpayer's dime.

Retirement could be awesome for him and it wouldn't make a dam bit of difference for me.

bcroslin
06-01-2015, 08:15 AM

I also ride with a friend who's in his early 60's and is a dr. and he's had BOTH hips replaced. He was back on the bike in 5-6 weeks after each surgery if I recall. We had a scary crash a few weeks ago that he got caught up in and he dislocated a hip but the ER docs were able to get it back in under general anesthesia and he should be back out riding with us in another week or so. It seems like if you've got a great surgeon that doing a hip replacement isn't as scary as it sounds.

bcroslin
06-01-2015, 08:16 AM

amen.

TurboNate
06-01-2015, 08:23 AM

Very well put, I hope I'm around to see this happen one day.

veloduffer
06-01-2015, 08:25 AM
Vaughters, Tim Johnson and Pete Mooney says Kerry is a very good cyclist. I wish him a speedy recovery - no body likes being off their bike for long periods. Here's the article in the Wall St Journal:

http://on.wsj.com/1cs62Dn

witcombusa
06-01-2015, 09:03 AM
Not only does he love to ride, he loves to serve his country even more, and has done so his entire life. He's got way more money than time, yet spends most of that time flying around the world trying to solve insoluble problems in ways which don't involve the deaths of young Americans.

Just sayin'.

You're drink'n all the Kool-Aid they spew...:confused:

Plum Hill
06-01-2015, 11:27 AM

Please check the Paceline Forum Etiquette thread.

gasman
06-01-2015, 11:38 AM

Please stop these comments !!

gary135r
06-01-2015, 12:10 PM

Just sayin'.
This statement seems political too. Just because it's positive, doesn't stop it from being political.

gasman
06-01-2015, 12:55 PM
This statement seems political too. Just because it's positive, doesn't stop it from being political.

Good point. Let's keep the politics out of the discussion.

He's a bike rider who has a serious fracture and deserves our best wishes for a full recovery.

TimD
06-01-2015, 01:00 PM
Neither Kool-Air nor statements of political opinion.

Statements of fact in the public record.

joosttx
06-01-2015, 01:09 PM
Hope John mends well. Wishing him all the best.

SPOKE
06-01-2015, 01:21 PM

I was encouraged to delay but with a constant dull ache that reduced my ability to get a good nights sleep I decided to get mine replaced. No problem recovering and cycling. My only problem was the first joint (ASR) was recalled 8 months after I got it. Just had the revision done in March and took my first ride 8 days later. 30mi rides in 4 weeks.

Don't wait for it to impact your quality of life....

gary135r
06-01-2015, 01:31 PM
Neither Kool-Air nor statements of political opinion.

Statements of fact in the public record.
"he love to ride, he loves to serve his country even more" how can that be a statement of fact? Unless you're a personal friend, it's just opinion.
"He's got way more money than time, yet spends most of that time flying around the world trying to solve insoluble problems in ways which don't involve the deaths of young Americans."
He spent most of his public service sitting in the Senate chambers, not flying around the world. He also ran for President during a time of war and if he won he would have been directly involved in the deaths of Americans.
The point I was trying to make is talking about political figures is always a touchy subject on message boards, because if we talk about their off-duty recreations, somebody will always swing it political. One way or the other.
IMO

einreb
06-01-2015, 01:31 PM

I'm 4+ years on my hip resurfacing and its been an outstanding success (life in general and cycling). I researched to ridiculous levels and traveled for the right doctor and device.

I was 40 at the time of the operation and had tried to put it off as long as possible. Its an interesting balance between waiting, quality of life, etc.

I'm of the opinion there is a preposterous amount of misinformation out there about resurfacing/replacement... happy to answer questions or start a new thread.

-Bernie

gary135r
06-01-2015, 01:34 PM
I was encouraged to delay but with a constant dull ache that reduced my ability to get a good nights sleep I decided to get mine replaced. No problem recovering and cycling. My only problem was the first joint (ASR) was recalled 8 months after I got it. Just had the revision done in March and took my first ride 8 days later. 30mi rides in 4 weeks.

Don't wait for it to impact your quality of life....
Just 4 weeks. Wow. Sleeping is tough I'll admit. Maybe a winter replacement might be a plan. Gives me time to recover before the season starts. The VA would cover me during my recovery time which helps.

gary135r
06-01-2015, 01:38 PM
I'm 4+ years on my hip resurfacing and its been an outstanding success (life in general and cycling). I researched to ridiculous levels and traveled for the right doctor and device.

I was 40 at the time of the operation and had tried to put it off as long as possible. Its an interesting balance between waiting, quality of life, etc.

I'm of the opinion there is a preposterous amount of misinformation out there about resurfacing/replacement... happy to answer questions or start a new thread.

-Bernie
That's what one of doctors told me. You'll know when it's time. I feel like I'm getting there. How long will yours last having being done so young?

SPOKE
06-01-2015, 04:48 PM
That's what one of doctors told me. You'll know when it's time. I feel like I'm getting there. How long will yours last having being done so young?

My revision components (ceramic ball & polyethlyne lined cup) have a claimed life of 20-25yrs. According to my surgeon cycling has little negative impact on the life of the wear components (ball & cup). Running is not a good thing. Also remember.....as we age our activity level typically declines (I intend to fight this trend😜)

einreb
06-02-2015, 07:54 AM

I don't know. There is a chance it will last me the rest of my life. It was tough for me to decide on the device since I had to balance new technology vs. long track record.

The benefit of the resurfacing is that its bone conserving. You run into trouble with total hip replacement revisions since each time they take the spike/stem out of the femur you lose a little more bone.

The tough thing about resurfacing is that it is a more complex surgery than total hip. Surgeon selection is incredibly important IMO.

oldpotatoe
06-02-2015, 08:11 AM

Vote early and vote often..I hear The Trump is entering. Does he ride a bike?

OldCrank
06-02-2015, 08:51 AM
WHAT you don't remember Tour de Trump??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_de_Trump

https://www.google.com/search?q=tour+de+trump&rlz=1C1WPZB_enUS630US630&espv=2&biw=1680&bih=949&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=n7RtVZe4HsihyASrmYCIDw&ved=0CDAQsAQ&dpr=1

oldpotatoe
06-02-2015, 09:17 AM
WHAT you don't remember Tour de Trump??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_de_Trump

https://www.google.com/search?q=tour+de+trump&rlz=1C1WPZB_enUS630US630&espv=2&biw=1680&bih=949&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=n7RtVZe4HsihyASrmYCIDw&ved=0CDAQsAQ&dpr=1

I guess I washed that name outta my hair, but it keeps getting dirty:p

TimD
06-02-2015, 10:41 AM
"he love to ride, he loves to serve his country even more" how can that be a statement of fact? Unless you're a personal friend, it's just opinion.
"He's got way more money than time, yet spends most of that time flying around the world trying to solve insoluble problems in ways which don't involve the deaths of young Americans."
He spent most of his public service sitting in the Senate chambers, not flying around the world. He also ran for President during a time of war and if he won he would have been directly involved in the deaths of Americans.
The point I was trying to make is talking about political figures is always a touchy subject on message boards, because if we talk about their off-duty recreations, somebody will always swing it political. One way or the other.
IMO

http://www.state.gov/secretary/travel/2014/

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/biog/203657.htm

teleguy57
06-02-2015, 10:44 AM
I guess I washed that name outta my hair, but it keeps getting dirty:p

So, you did a tour of duty in South Pacific, I mean, the South Pacific? :)

gary135r
06-02-2015, 12:53 PM
My revision components (ceramic ball & polyethlyne lined cup) have a claimed life of 20-25yrs. According to my surgeon cycling has little negative impact on the life of the wear components (ball & cup). Running is not a good thing. Also remember.....as we age our activity level typically declines (I intend to fight this trend😜)
Thanks Spoke:beer:

gary135r
06-02-2015, 12:56 PM
I don't know. There is a chance it will last me the rest of my life. It was tough for me to decide on the device since I had to balance new technology vs. long track record.

The benefit of the resurfacing is that its bone conserving. You run into trouble with total hip replacement revisions since each time they take the spike/stem out of the femur you lose a little more bone.

The tough thing about resurfacing is that it is a more complex surgery than total hip. Surgeon selection is incredibly important IMO.
Thanks Bernie. How long 'till you were were back on your bike?

gary135r
06-02-2015, 01:00 PM
http://www.state.gov/secretary/travel/2014/

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/biog/203657.htm

Thanks for proving my point.

einreb
06-02-2015, 08:36 PM
Thanks Bernie. How long 'till you were were back on your bike?

5 months till I was back on the road. I raced at 7 months. I could have ridden in a few weeks, but surgeon recommendation was no running or cycling for 6 months. Biking a month 'early' for me was an actuarial gamble I was willing to take. The risk wasn't the cycling, but any sort of impact accident.

I waited until 6 months to run, played 2 hours of basketball the night 6 months out from surgery. Everything hurt but my hip :)

The trauma of the surgery weakens the neck of the hip. The thought is that its at its weakest at 3 months then back at near full strength at 6 months. 'Neck fracture' is a known failure mode. Limiting impact activity like running or crashing on a bike in the first 6 months is a way to greatly limit that risk of failure.

The recovery with the resurfacing is potentially longer than a THR. Its typically a 'bigger' surgery (although my incision was only 3.5 inches). However, the end result was worth it to me.

My inital thought was some sort of rock star recovery, running a marathon 4 months out, etc but at some point I was able to wrap my head around doing the recovery and rehab correctly and looking at it as a long term project.

-B

bcroslin
06-02-2015, 09:32 PM
Looks like Kerry will be up and limping around tomorrow (https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/06/02/secretary-kerry-recovering-after-having-his-broken-leg-set-boston-hospital/OnS1bZ5zjCz3yBwswAfUOL/story.html).

93legendti
06-02-2015, 10:15 PM
Looks like Kerry will be up and limping around tomorrow (https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/06/02/secretary-kerry-recovering-after-having-his-broken-leg-set-boston-hospital/OnS1bZ5zjCz3yBwswAfUOL/story.html).

Good news. I was up walking the day after my surgery, a few times that day, if memory serves.

'...“The procedure was uncomplicated, the fracture was fully repaired, and we plan to get him up walking on Wednesday,” said Burke, who in 2009 replaced one of Kerry’s hips and, in 2010, the other. “I anticipate a short hospitalization, a full and complete recovery, and a return to normal function.”

..Just before setting off for a 90-minute grueling uphill segment used in the Tour de France, the motorcycles that typically accompany him on his bike rides fired up their engines.

The secretary of state glanced toward them and, momentarily distracted, his front wheel hit a curb at the edge of the parking lot, causing his bike to abruptly stop.

Kerry then tumbled over, and his right thigh slammed into a different portion of the same curb. The force focused near the hip, fracturing his femur, which resulted in a long journey back to Boston to have it repaired...'

So full recovery and infrastructure a non-issue.

Cornfed
06-03-2015, 12:23 PM
Good perspective on the "controversy":

http://www.mensjournal.com/adventure/outdoor/john-kerry-s-serious-cycling-cred-20150603

gary135r
06-03-2015, 04:30 PM
So full recovery and infrastructure a non-issue.

That's good news. hope he has a speedy recovery

93legendti
06-03-2015, 04:35 PM
That's good news. hope he has a speedy recovery

Me too. I couldn't bend my leg after my surgery. I had to stretch the muscle over the giant callous that formed at the fracture site. Nonetheless, I was running in 6 weeks. My dr called it a super recovery. I hope John is as lucky as I was.

gary135r
06-03-2015, 04:38 PM
My inital thought was some sort of rock star recovery, running a marathon 4 months out, etc but at some point I was able to wrap my head around doing the recovery and rehab correctly and looking at it as a long term project.

-B
Thanks for the perspective Bernie. It's scary to make the move but will be inevitable soon I fear. I've had some major surgeries, and with modern medicine, the recovery times are quite astonishing now. If your in the hospital for more than a day it's abnormal. Cheers! :beer:

gary135r
06-03-2015, 04:43 PM
Good perspective on the "controversy":

http://www.mensjournal.com/adventure/outdoor/john-kerry-s-serious-cycling-cred-20150603
good article