PDA

View Full Version : Garmin HRM Premium strap maintenance question

SoCalSteve
05-30-2015, 07:11 PM
Hi all,

This thread got me to thinkin' (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=168090&highlight=garmin)

Since it appears the straps go wonky after a short time (yes, this has happened to me 3 times)...Is there a way to clean out the connection snaps on the straps as maybe that is why they go south on us?

If so, what would you use...a Q-tip would seem logical, but what solution would you use to help (maybe) make a better connection so we don't have to keep buying them.

Thoughts, opinions and experiences welcomed.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Spdntrxi
05-30-2015, 07:28 PM
Had since release ... I just rinse after use nothing else..

guido
05-30-2015, 07:31 PM
I wash my every few weeks to a month... Never had an issue...

bigbill
05-30-2015, 07:52 PM
I went through two comfort straps, each worked for a few months and then quit. I followed the instructions and washed the strap every 7-10 days and I tried cleaning the contacts with alcohol. I also replaced the battery and that didn't make any difference. I bought an older "discomfort" strap late last year and it's been flawless. I'd be curious to the size of the people who haven't had any problems. Maybe it's the "wrap" of the strap and big guys don't get enough.

Have you seen this?

JeffWarner
05-30-2015, 07:53 PM
I don't think its the contact between the sensor and the strap that causes the issues ... I think its when the back side of the strap starts to come apart and the electrodes get shorted out. There have been 3 variations of the soft strap. The second model seemed to holdup for a while, but the current release .... the strap starts to laminate (the rubberize electrode covers come away from the strap) and then I start to get issues.

But to keep it up, I just take it in to the shower once a week and rise it off.

Spdntrxi
05-30-2015, 08:42 PM
I went through two comfort straps, each worked for a few months and then quit. I followed the instructions and washed the strap every 7-10 days and I tried cleaning the contacts with alcohol. I also replaced the battery and that didn't make any difference. I bought an older "discomfort" strap late last year and it's been flawless. I'd be curious to the size of the people who haven't had any problems. Maybe it's the "wrap" of the strap and big guys don't get enough.

Have you seen this?

44 chest... Not sure why that would matter

makoti
05-30-2015, 11:31 PM
FWIW, my problem (I was the OP on the other thread) turned out to be the unit itself. Battery changes, different straps didn't help & all the straps work great with the new unit.
I just rinse mine in cold water after each ride, but the instructions with the strap said machine wash after 7 usages.

wasfast
05-31-2015, 12:25 PM
I've had 3 premium straps in 5 years. The most recent one has much different construction. The reinforced areas suggest that there is a problem with internal connections going bad. Could be fatigue or sweat attacking the metal internally. Designwise, the latest version seems much better than the previous ones. YMMV.

05-31-2015, 12:45 PM
They definitely have been seeing design improvements. That said, I haven't had problems once I took the head completely off the strap and washed both after every ride. I'm sure Contador doesn't perspire enough to rust out the fittings and cause the assembly to loosen. I do.

And I don't see what chest size has to do with anything. I've seen a very few of these straps actually fail at the plastic, but almost always its from salt getting into the snap connection and not getting cleaned out until the parts are corroded and no longer work. I suppose if someone didn't even adjust the length on the strap before wearing it, and stretched it to its limit, it could put unreasonable strain on the device, but there's plenty of adjustment in the standard strap. I'd have faith and keep buying Garmin. Wahoo has gotten a lot better but Garmin has been bulletproof in my sweaty hands. You might consider getting the integrated plastic strap version of the Garmin HRT (the one with the plastic hooks on each side to connect to the strap, priced a little less than the premium). I find it every bit as comfortable as the premium one, much more durable, and if anything faster to transmit a heart rate. It may not work as well if you're wearing a bra, but for those who don't, it does really well.

Neil
05-31-2015, 01:02 PM
I'm in Jeff Warners camp here - I just ping the sensor unit off the strap, then get in the shower post ride with the strap on, it gets washed at the same time as I do and is left to dry out hung over the towel rack.