PDA

View Full Version : Need help planning bicycle route from NH to RI

tchapman
05-30-2015, 04:59 PM
Hi,

I have a work meeting down in Newport, RI in July and would like to ride my bike there from Concord, NH. It looks to be about 140 miles, so I would plan on doing it in a day, but I'd like some help with logistics and advice on routes through Massachuttes and Rhode Island. Does anyone know of good bicycle routes that will get there in as direct as manner as possible?

Thanks!

Tom

Bruce K
05-30-2015, 05:50 PM
I would PM TiDesigns

He has done the Boston area to RI for sure

Pretty sure he's done the northern half too

BK

MattTuck
05-30-2015, 06:28 PM
No reason to go through Boston metro area. Have you tried strava routes? That is supposed to use data from other cyclists to make informed decisions on which roads to select. I would just put in your start and end point and see what it says.

pinkshogun
05-30-2015, 06:30 PM
you can also contact the Narraganset Bay Wheelmen. They have been mapping rides on scenic roads in lower Mass. and Rhode Island since 1971

nbwclub.org

leftyfreak
05-30-2015, 06:39 PM
I would PM TiDesigns

He has done the Boston area to RI for sure

Pretty sure he's done the northern half too

BK

Not to be a party pooper, but there's no chance that Ti Designs would be able to reconstruct a good route. It is true that he's ridden from Boston to RI, but he's also the guy who ended up in Brattleboro, VT when attempting to return to Boston from southern NH. :eek:

I don't have any good suggestions to connect the two locations unfortunately. Should be a great ride though!

buddybikes
05-30-2015, 06:58 PM
I just went on google maps and did Concord to Newport - chose bicycle and map route looks pretty damn good from what I know of the roads.

sitzmark
05-30-2015, 07:48 PM
If you choose a route that puts you anywhere near Worcester, you can pick up a patchwork route that is a temporary route leading to the Blackstone Valley Rail Trail. There will be a finished rail trail at some point, but it has stalled out for many years. The temporary route will take you to the start of the completed section in Woonsocket. Following the Blackstone MUP will dump out in Central Falls, MA. There are side road routes from there to East Providence - about 7 miles. You can pick up the East Bay Bike Path at India Point in E. Prov and take it all the way to Bristol RI. From Bristol, you have about 20 miles to Newport.

I've ridden Woonsocket to Bristol a number of times and always wanted to continue on to Newport, but haven't done it so far. No good excuse why not. Would be a nice ride.

Both MUPS (Blackstone Valley and East Bay) are relatively quiet during week days - busy on weekends. Timed right, you can average 18-20mph. The Blackstone will give you river views and the E. Bay has a number of water sections as well. Not the most direct route, but limits the amount of traffic congestion you'll encounter.

Another option would be to pick up the Pan Mass Challenge route out of the Newton/Wellesley area and ride that to Dighton, MA area. From there you'd have to jump off the PanMass and head SW to Swansea/Warren, which would put you in the general vicinity of Bristol, RI. Or head due south into Fall River (Rte 138?) and make your way through Tiverton, RI.

Sounds like a great ride. Enjoy!

tchapman
05-31-2015, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the information everyone, some great leads here, and this will help a lot with route planning!

Tom

OtayBW
05-31-2015, 08:19 AM
If you choose a route that puts you anywhere near Worcester, you can pick up a patchwork route that is a temporary route leading to the Blackstone Valley Rail Trail.
OP: if you do go through Worcester, give me a holler. I can get you to Providence and beyond on some nice back roads.

merlinmurph
05-31-2015, 09:06 AM
I used to do a point-to-point ride from Bolton MA to Bristol NH - the original B2B ride way before the Harpoon ride. The ride was a nice route that took us just west of Concord thru Hopkinton. Going south, it would go thru Weare, New Boston, Mt Vernon, Amherst, Pepperell MA, Groton, Ayer, Harvard, Bolton. Again, it was a decent route.

I live in Hopkinton MA, so I could help get you from Bolton heading south a bit. I suggest staying west of I-495, but I understand you'll be on a mission to get 'er done, so you'll have to make some choices.

PM me and I can send you our B2B route and other help if you'd like.

Murph