PDA

View Full Version : thinking about using bike for grocery shopping

eddief
05-30-2015, 04:02 PM
you know getting exercise, reducing my carbon footprint...using my commuter bike for some good purpose...since I don't commute.

Got simple rear rack and some crappy kind of "saddle bags" that don't work very well. Those big square open-topped nylon ones. Have been looking at Ortlieb Classic Roller rear bags. Don't care about rain, but would like something stable in which I can carry 2 normal grocery bags...or use the panniers instead of grocery bags. What works for you?

scrubadub
05-30-2015, 04:06 PM
I have a Wald front basket that holds two grocery bags side by side.

I used to use those collapsible baskets that fold up mounted to a rear rack to carry a bag each. I've also used panniers but it's annoying to pack in the store and I never seem to have enough space.

eddief
05-30-2015, 04:16 PM
With my Ulock and half a bag of groceries, my New Albion handled like crap. That's why I am thinking about loading on the rear.
---

I have a Wald front basket that holds two grocery bags side by side.

I used to use those collapsible baskets that fold up mounted to a rear rack to carry a bag each. I've also used panniers but it's annoying to pack in the store and I never seem to have enough space.[/QUOTE]

Ken Robb
05-30-2015, 04:49 PM
I have the fold-up grocery bag size paniers on a Blackburn rack on my MB-3 and they work great. The baggers load two paper sacks at checkout, I tote them to my bike and drop one sack in each pannier, ride home, carry the paper sacks into the kitchen. It couldn't be easier. If I worried about using the paper bags I could take the panniers into the store and let the baggers load them at checkout but reinstalling them on the rack when loaded is awkward.

giordana93
05-30-2015, 04:57 PM
I have the fold-up grocery bag size paniers on a Blackburn rack on my MB-3 and they work great. The baggers load two paper sacks at checkout, I tote them to my bike and drop one sack in each pannier, ride home, carry the paper sacks into the kitchen. It couldn't be easier. If I worried about using the paper bags I could take the panniers into the store and let the baggers load them at checkout but reinstalling them on the rack when loaded is awkward.

I had sth. similar. Fold out bag holder on one side, large "normal" pannier on the other, and a backpack or messenger bag for extra stuff. With a bungee for strapping odd stuff on top of the rack. Pretty amazing what that combo could bring home. That bike has been out of commission; maybe time to bring it back to life. I always coveted the xtra-cycle too.

45K10
05-30-2015, 06:09 PM
you know getting exercise, reducing my carbon footprint...using my commuter bike for some good purpose...since I don't commute.

Got simple rear rack and some crappy kind of "saddle bags" that don't work very well. Those big square open-topped nylon ones. Have been looking at Ortlieb Classic Roller rear bags. Don't care about rain, but would like something stable in which I can carry 2 normal grocery bags...or use the panniers instead of grocery bags. What works for you?

I used the Ortlieb classic bags when I lived in Vancouver. Took the bags off the rear rack carried them into to Safeway and used them like grocery bags. Worked great and the bike handled pretty good with the bags loaded down.

Also, don't forget to order a growler carrier when you kit out your commuter for grocery duty.

scrubadub
05-30-2015, 06:40 PM
With my Ulock and half a bag of groceries, my New Albion handled like crap. That's why I am thinking about loading on the rear.

A ghetto option that works surprising well then is a Wald basket on the back with a big bungee net.

oliver1850
05-30-2015, 06:46 PM
I use the Jandd Grocery Bag Panniers and like them fine.

eddief
05-30-2015, 07:50 PM
This is the smaller, one bag Wald basket. Handling should be better, but swinging leg over big bike with cross-wise mounted basket, the basket is a bit in the way. Will try shopping and see how it goes. Will consider pannier-type bag ideas.

cetuximab
05-30-2015, 10:02 PM
i used this for several years.

Cheap.

Plop the bags into the milk crate.

http://btaoregon.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/rear-milk-crate.jpg

JAllen
05-30-2015, 11:03 PM
eddief, good on you! :)

My wife and I will go together quite a bit. She has custom made panniers made locally here in Portland by Blackstar Bags and I have the ortleib whites. We can load quite a lot in those. Although most commonly we just pick up the few items needed on the way home on our commutes (we both bike it). For last minute things I hop on the SS with a Timbuk2 large messenger bag and ride like the wind!

bicycletricycle
05-30-2015, 11:14 PM
Front rack, huge bag I made that fits on it and holds 2 bags.

I like the front rack clout ion better than panniers which I have used in the past .

Those delivery wald baskets are great but are kinda heavy.

etu
05-30-2015, 11:46 PM
I've tried the porteur style front load with a large wald basket but with a low trail geometry to keep the handling reasonable.
Best experience was with the ortlieb Classic bags on the back attached to a sturdy nitto rack from rivendell.
Routinely hauled 40lbs of meat this way without a problem.

JAGI410
05-31-2015, 08:07 AM
I like the front Wald basket for milk & eggs trips, but for big trips I use my Big Dummy. That thing can go to Costco and not flinch. My wife uses it a lot in the summer and it isn't too much for her to handle, even with a kid on the back too.'

Kudos for shopping by bike!

Ken Robb
05-31-2015, 11:35 AM
RE: rear panniers in general: You need sufficiently long chainstays so your heels don't hit the panniers. My size 12 shoes make this a challenge on some bikes. :)

jr59
05-31-2015, 12:49 PM
When I lived in NOLA, I was 100% car free. I used a touring bike with front and rear racks, with Orlibte (sp) roll top panniers.I just took them off the bike and in the basket they went with me. I used them instead of the plastic bags at check out! Worked great and still today I use that very set up a good bit

gemship
05-31-2015, 01:01 PM
anyone suggest a trailer yet?

p nut
06-01-2015, 08:34 AM
What I use:

http://www.stevelange.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/big_dummy-600x450.jpg

seanile
06-01-2015, 10:00 AM
get some proper panniers w/shoulder straps, attach them to the inside shopping cart and fill them instead of the cart so you don't over-buy. empty em and repack em at checkout, roll or carry them to your bike, attach, and be gone.

eddief
06-01-2015, 10:01 AM
will consider. I was a bagger when I was 16 and pride myself in packing prowess.

get some proper panniers w/shoulder straps, attach them to the inside shopping cart and fill them instead of the cart so you don't over-buy. empty em and repack em at checkout, roll or carry them to your bike, attach, and be gone.

Ken Robb
06-01-2015, 10:06 AM
will consider. I was a bagger when I was 16 and pride myself in packing prowess.

Me TOO! It is a forever life skill. :banana:

redir
06-01-2015, 10:15 AM
The Ortlieb Rollers are great, I have them, but honestly they are a bit overkill for grocery getting and I would rather have something with a simpler design. Not that it takes for ever or anything but you have too roll them up neatly then snap them closed in two places. Something with an easy cinch zipper or Velcro would just be easier imho.

jr59
06-01-2015, 10:29 AM
What I use:

http://www.stevelange.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/big_dummy-600x450.jpg

That's a set up!

I tried a friends, and it was just overkill for me.
That and storing it was a trick, b/c it's so long.

gemship
06-01-2015, 11:02 AM
Yeah I like the Big Dummy but it is a bus of a bike...meaning too long and dedicated to it's design for better or worse.

I really don't think there is anything sporty about commuting and carrying cargo on all things bike but it sure is fun and liberating.

I think I maybe the only one on this thread the digs the idea of a trailer. Besides towing a weeks worth of groceries one could do the same with a weeks worth of laundry. Try that with panniers. Is it a PITA to store, yes and maybe. Depends on where you live but you can detach it!

jamesutiopia
06-01-2015, 01:50 PM
I use the Jandd Grocery Bag Panniers and like them fine.

+1. Combined with a two-leg kickstand and long chainstays, this is the best solution for a grocery-getter.

bcroslin
06-01-2015, 02:03 PM
Another vote for a Wald basket. I bought one for my Brooklyn bike and do my shopping at TJ's with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000AO3H42/ref=ya_aw_oh_pii

p nut
06-01-2015, 02:35 PM
I tried a friends, and it was just overkill for me.
That and storing it was a trick, b/c it's so long.

Hey, I shop at Costco at times, so definitely not overkill for me. :p Might even have to add a trailer.

Besides, what if you see a killer deal on a bike at a garage sale on your way home?

(not mine, but have hauled a bike to a race this way)
http://surlybikes.com//files/customer_bikes/1925061_445516422247836_1875111288_n.jpg

biker72
06-01-2015, 03:32 PM
I don't need much so I go shopping with a slightly oversized backpack.

Bradford
06-01-2015, 05:14 PM
I use two large rear panniers on my touring bike. I usually don't buy enough on one trip to need the fronts, but they are available if I need them. Yet another reason why everyone should have a touring bike in the stable.

The grocery bags sound cool, but I despise single use items. I use regular panniers for touring, commuting, trips to the park or for the kids sports, and around town errands.

If you don't have a touring bike and are having trouble getting the bags back far enough, make an extension out of bar aluminum and attach it to your rack eyelets. I did that on a mountain bike before I had a touring bike and I was able to get the panniers all the way to the back of the rack, which was enough extra clearance for my size 12s. (or, just buy a used touring bike, which you should have anyway).

Veloo
06-02-2015, 09:42 AM
And another option.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Cart-Bike/

eddief
06-02-2015, 09:53 AM
http://www.ortliebusa.com/prodInfo.asp?pid=35&cid=2

Zipper top, shoulder strap, easy on and off, styling. Bring em into the store, fill em up, repack at checkout, see you later alligator.

Veloo
11-18-2021, 12:25 PM
Since there are a few grocery shopping threads, I'll resurrect this one instead of starting a new one.
I saw someone pulling one of these trolly/ dolly/ carts the other day with his bike. Not sure if it was bike specific or just strapped onto his seatpost.

Anyone hauling something similar to this (Bikecarry One) by bike for groceries?
https://images.immediate.co.uk/production/volatile/sites/21/2019/03/bikcarry-1540903853908-1eyxejqfbe1y7-40764bb.jpg?webp=true&quality=90&resize=503%2C335

Driving and (finding) parking here in "Tor-condo" is getting more and more annoying.

As I consider one of these, I'm wondering:
- are they a pain to drag around in the market, fill and then unload onto the conveyor at checkout.
- are they stable enough to handle a corner without toppling over?
- will my eggs be scrambled by the time i get home?

Or, if you've figured out a better set up, I'd love to see it.

I'm not looking to add any bike baskets to the current beater/ commuter or use panniers.

marsh
11-18-2021, 12:31 PM
I modded an old folding Burley trailer for grocery shopping. I made a pallet box that I could plop onto the frame. People at Costco were amazed every time. My buddy uses it now on his e-bike.

Dead Man
11-18-2021, 12:53 PM
aint a single town with uber from vancouver bc to san francisco on the left coast.. ye wanna get around in port, ye better bring a bicycle. when i sailed me most recent boat home from the salish, i brought me bike and a huge climbing pack, so's to get gallons o water n fresh perishables back to the docks from wherever the grocery store be

climbing pack is good cuz ye can use all em straps to compress any which way ye need to get the load secure n balanced on ye back

C40_guy
11-18-2021, 01:52 PM
RE: rear panniers in general: You need sufficiently long chainstays so your heels don't hit the panniers. My size 12 shoes make this a challenge on some bikes. :)

Wanna borrow my size 8s? That should help. :)

oliver1850
11-18-2021, 03:15 PM
Since there are a few grocery shopping threads, I'll resurrect this one instead of starting a new one.
I saw someone pulling one of these trolly/ dolly/ carts the other day with his bike. Not sure if it was bike specific or just strapped onto his seatpost.

Anyone hauling something similar to this (Bikecarry One) by bike for groceries?

Driving and (finding) parking here in "Tor-condo" is getting more and more annoying.

As I consider one of these, I'm wondering:
- are they a pain to drag around in the market, fill and then unload onto the conveyor at checkout.
- are they stable enough to handle a corner without toppling over?
- will my eggs be scrambled by the time i get home?

Or, if you've figured out a better set up, I'd love to see it.

I'm not looking to add any bike baskets to the current beater/ commuter or use panniers.

I've used a single wheel Nashbar (BOB Yak type) trailer for hauling groceries and recycling. It's easy to hook up and stable once underway as the weight is fairly low. Can be a bit hard to load but turning the trailer 90 degrees to the bike helps.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384321555617?epid=1282546920&hash=item597b598ca1:g:AzkAAOSwOvhhEiqC

p nut
11-18-2021, 03:41 PM
That looks like a terrible set up. Little pothole or sharp corner would probably take it, and you, out. No, thanks.

Something like this may work.
https://www.aosom.com/item/aosom-folding-bike-cargo-trailer-cart-with-universal-hitch-black~B71-020.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping

Or, do what I do and get a scooter! Up front moto parking, cheap, and a ton of storage. You could get a 50cc for less than $500.

https://motorcycles-for-sale.biz/img/motorcyclephotos/full/motorbike368288.jpg

Jared Purdy
11-18-2021, 03:50 PM

I salvaged a curbed bike a few years ago. It weighed about 45/lbs! It became my grocery & liquor store bike, and when I wanted to bring my camera gear with me, I'd add another 15/lbs into the rear basket that I had installed.

Fast forward a few years, and the bike was wearing on me. It was a terribly designed frame such that when I stood up to pedal, or even exerted force sitting down, the rear triangle would swing, causing the derailleur to rub on the spokes. I decided it was time for a decent grocery store bike so last March I bought an Achielle Roadster and put a Blackburn rack and a Basil basket on it. It clocks in at 38/lbs. I figure I get more of a work out riding it and navigating the three gears up hills than I do with either of my racing bikes. It's a classy looking steed, for sure. They've been making bikes in Belgium since 1946. Cool eh?!

Nomadmax
11-18-2021, 03:54 PM
I'd get one of those Bob trailers. That said, a used motor scooter with a top box can be mighty handy as well.

ORMojo
11-18-2021, 10:18 PM
I've been using a Burley Travoy for nearly a decade, with the market bags.

jamesdak
11-19-2021, 07:10 AM
Well I used all sorts of inefficient options over the years.

The old 3-speed had two large foldable baskets. Did ok but was really too small and my heels would sometimes hit on the baskets. Also sometimes stuff would fall out as I leaned the loaded bike over to get on.

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/169181594.jpg

Then a couple of years ago I got his crazy beast and tried using it. Real cumbersome with the basket high on the rear rack. Same problem with stuff falling out when you leaned it to get on and pain in the butt sometimes to swing the leg high enough to clear the basket while getting on. Handling a bit iffy sometimes with heavy loads and slow turns but quite comfortable to ride.

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/171332429.jpg

So after years of just getting by I got smart and decided if a dutch bike is good enough for all the people over there it's good enough for me. Did my research and had a Azor custom configured as I wanted it. Step through frame to make mounting it loaded a breeze. Easily removable front rack that is also attached to the frame, not the front fork. So even heavily loaded it does not affect handling. Then a heavy duty rear rack that can use with the built in straps or hang panniers on the sides. Heavy duty, dual legged kickstand to hold the bike while loading, built in bike lock, dynamo hub for the lights, 8 speed IGH rear hub, upgraded roller brakes, fenders, chain guard, etc. I don't remember the full specs on the racks but it's well over 100 lbs. It's so easy to step on this bike and go even with a full load. Plus, its designed to get you there in your regular clothes with out any worry of things splashing on you, the chain snagging or marking your clothes, stuff catching in the rear wheel etc. A really practical bike unless you need to carry a huge load.

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/171751313.jpg

charliedid
11-19-2021, 07:33 AM
How about an e-cargo bike and a tax credit?

NHAero
11-19-2021, 07:37 AM
Hard to beat the Big Dummy for grocery shopping - four large shopping bags fit right in without a fuss. Fenders and dynamo hub and half clips for grab-n-go. It's my only bike that lives in the shed rather than the basement.

It started life with a Rohloff but I didn't like the feeling of that hub in the lower 7 gears, so it's a 3x9 now. Optimal would be a belt drive and IGH.

Alistair
11-19-2021, 09:39 AM
As long as the rack is stable, some half-decent panniers should work. But, I found a full grocery load was just too heavy (tried open top panniers first, didn't like them, tried mid-grade touring panniers, better but still didn't like them) and I didn't like the bike handling (old cyclocross bike).

These days, I do small errands/pub runs on an '83 Stumpjumper with a small Nitto front rack, Wald basket, and Swift Sugarloaf. It's enough for some bread and eggs, or beer and snacks. If I need a bit more, I wear a backpack. Full grocery runs are still be car. Happy middle ground, for me.

weisan
11-19-2021, 10:28 AM
So far, the responses and the focus have been mostly on equipment, storage bags etc. eddie pal, forgive me my friend, I am gonna take a slightly different tack on this, based on some of the things you have told me in the past and also posted on other threads.

1) weight distribution and handling
This is a fairly obvious one. Regardless of the bike or the bags in question, how and where the weight of the grocers sit on the bike will affect the way it handles - whether it's in a good way or a bad way. There will be an impact and you need to be aware of that and make the appropriate adjustment. For instance, on my Brompton, there's a bag system already put in place closer to the ground and in the front where the bike will handle with good stability when it's loaded up. That was not an afterthought. It was designed into the bike overall handling capability.

https://cyclingintelligence.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/2011-03-05-blog-4.jpg

2) bike handling skills
Another obvious one. It varies from person to person. I am sure some of us have straddled bags of takeouts or whatever over our handlebar when we were younger on our cruiser or BMX. Some of us might even still be doing that today.
We all know how unstable that is and the danger of something falling out or get caught in the wheels. We are taking a certain amount of risk. We are taking stock of our own bike handling skills in the event of something happening and we need to react appropriately. Even the route that we take, the traffic pattern, amount of people around us, etc etc. All of which are factored in.

3) body issues.
eddie pal, you have indicated in the past that you are having neck issues. How is that going? Any better? This may play into your ability to handle the bike under load and in moving traffic, your ability to turn your head and check for blind spots before crossing an intersection, making a turn etc. With a load on the bike, it just makes it even more challenging, something to consider.

I fully support the idea of using our bikes for other life-related activities other than exercise, which includes sending our kids to school, delivering packages, pulling a trailer, commuting to work...and of course, grocery shopping.

Give it a try obviously, but just think about the other stuff that might come into play as well. If you really want to do it, perhaps like into getting a dedicated electric cargo bike like the Rag Wagon:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/b3/33/11/b333112fbec8430664b93a34fb47c592.jpg

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radwagon-electric-cargo-bike?variant=32100542283872&g_network=u&g_productchannel=online&g_adid=477429372158&g_keyword=&g_campaign=US+Google+Smart+Shopping&g_adtype=&g_keywordid=pla-901208927731&utm_source=Google%20Search&g_ifcreative=&utm_campaign=US%20Google%20Smart%20Shopping&g_adgroupid=116512524670&g_productid=102-00016&g_merchantid=108614887&g_acctid=743-021-7144&g_partition=901208927731&g_campaignid=11554820869&utm_medium=Shopping&g_ifproduct=product&gclid=CjwKCAiAs92MBhAXEiwAXTi25wMuR6nzmdVJCQhsbgUV w-2D2OVgS2vDOaGQwFSm32F1kih1msiZPRoCPPkQAvD_BwE

Good luck pal! Let us know how it goes.

eddief
11-19-2021, 10:35 AM
Honda Grom:

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bikes/2022-honda-grom-first-look/

weisan
11-19-2021, 10:36 AM
Honda Grom:

Now we are talkin'... :p

eddief
11-19-2021, 10:43 AM
EV vs ICE I guess.

Now we are talkin'... :p

alancw3
11-19-2021, 12:11 PM
Schwinn grocery delivery bike from 1939 to 1967. I actually remember these being used when I was a boy. all the small grocery stores had them.

https://bikehistory.org/bikes/cycletruck/

charliedid
11-19-2021, 03:46 PM
Honda Grom:

How would you carry groceries on that?

TheseGoTo11
11-20-2021, 08:09 AM
Xtracycle Freeradical on the Troll for a Dummy-like setup. My wife pulls a BOB trailer with hers.

https://i.ibb.co/Wzgr60t/IMG-5328.jpg (https://ibb.co/s1yT2CH)