PDA

View Full Version : Very little spoke/derailleur clearance with DT hub and c10

thirdgenbird
05-29-2015, 05:02 PM
Is it normal for there to be very little clearance between the RD and spokes when using campy on a DT 240 based hub?

I would say it's about half the clearance (or less) that I am used to with campag hubs/wheels

ERK55
05-29-2015, 07:18 PM
I have been running Campagnolo Chorus 11 with handbuilt wheels using DT Swiss 240 hubs. The cassette is Chorus 13-29. Twice in the last 2 years the rear derailleur shifted into the spokes, demolishing the RD and ripping the hanger off the frame. A very capable mechanic suggested that the RD indeed skims close to the spokes given this set-up.
In my case I'm giving this one last chance as I've now had to replace Chorus 11 rear derailleurs twice.

The mechanic suggested that I switch to Shimano but this probably won't happen.

thirdgenbird
05-29-2015, 07:23 PM
Why would one consider switching to shimano when Campagnolo hubs are great and provide pleanty of clearance. Besides, I'm guessing it's the same song and dance with shimano 11.

Anyway, how much clearance are we talking? I wouldn't be surprised if my rd ticked the spokes under power (haven't tried it yet) but I'm pretty sure the limit screw will keep it from traveling that far into the spokes.

Edit: I measure clearance at 1mm using a feeler gauge and calipers. If this 1mm closes, the cage and spokes would only touch.

WESTMOTORSPORTS
05-29-2015, 08:02 PM
This is a documented problem discussed at length "across the hall." The consensus is that the hub flange spacing is the problem when using the Campagnolo freehub and spacers. The dt hubs, while good and durable, are a compromise on their geometry. Just look at how many different configurations you can run "without" re-dishing the wheel. Ingenius, but alas, a compromise that seems to be finicky when used with Campagnolo 11speed. I ran mechanical Super Record with Reynolds mv32 wheels on my Parlee z5 and was able to alleviate the problem by using the limit screw and adjusting the b screw as such to move the drlr cage further away from the cassette, taking advantage of the slight angle of the drive side spokes.....by no way ideal, but usable. When I switched to eps, there was NO way to properly adjust the rr drlr without it grazing the spokes. Sold 4 sets of Reynolds wheels and replaced them with Campagnolo Bora's...problem solved, never looking back. Feel free to pm me if you need more help....I have countless hours of adjusting, aligning, realigning, drinking, and cursing about this problem.

thirdgenbird
05-29-2015, 08:08 PM
It sounded like this was the case. I didn't think about the b screw. I may give that a shot.

Does this problem exist with 11spd shimano? Cassette with is the same as campy is it not?

oldpotatoe
05-30-2015, 07:13 AM
It sounded like this was the case. I didn't think about the b screw. I may give that a shot.

Does this problem exist with 11spd shimano? Cassette with is the same as campy is it not?

It does..just running out of room on a 130mm rear wheel and 11 cogs.

BUT as has been mentioned, well adjusted b limit, low gear limit screws and very straight der hangers are key...

Flange arrangement on shimano 11s wheels are almost identical to Campagnolo, in terms of RH center to flange. BUT you can only move it in so far and have the chain not hit the frame in highest gear.

thirdgenbird
05-30-2015, 09:04 AM
I thought my hanger was straight but now I'm questioning that. That's one of the tools I don't have either. May have to head to a shop.

Cicli
05-30-2015, 09:51 AM
I thought my hanger was straight but now I'm questioning that. That's one of the tools I don't have either. May have to head to a shop.

I aquired a hanger tool recently. I didnt have anything to really complain about but checked it anyway. It was tweaked just a bit. After adjusting the shifting has gone from good to awesome and fast. Check the hanger.
Oh, my Chorus 11 has good clearance to the spokes.

thirdgenbird
05-30-2015, 09:54 AM
What do you call good?