PDA

View Full Version : OUCH! My pride!

JAllen
05-28-2015, 02:27 PM
So I'm an idiot and went down pretty good this morning in front of around 20 cars (no one stopped). I had turned onto a street with a short climb before you cut off to the right. Climbing out of the saddle I thought "I had better signal my intent..." I didn't even hesitate to think about my balanced movement that required me to have both hands on the handlebars. Needless to say, I lost control and hit the ground. My right brake lever was knocked loose, my handlebars and stem are crooked, and I think my front derailleur is funky now... oy vey! What a morning...http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/28/7223fc07925a0537ffc9086f7f4dde91.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/28/6dc990b7a84ed8bd2c8f244e47e288e9.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/28/6883f9cebeba752f0fa2ac7df16f7b0e.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/28/e1fffc3187a93136c04995a7b619a6e5.jpg sad face...

fogrider
05-28-2015, 02:59 PM
could have been worse...live to fight another day...a few weeks ago I was riding home when an kid hit a bump and crashed. I stopped and made sure he was ok. a guy in a bmw turned around and checked on him also...don't give up on people.

JAllen
05-28-2015, 04:54 PM
could have been worse...live to fight another day...a few weeks ago I was riding home when an kid hit a bump and crashed. I stopped and made sure he was ok. a guy in a bmw turned around and checked on him also...don't give up on people.

I'm not giving up on people necessarily. I was a little surprised I guess. It definitely could have been worse...

SlackMan
05-28-2015, 05:10 PM
Sorry to hear about your crash! Unfortunately, when clipless pedals first came out many years ago and I was still getting used to them, I "been there, done that" in front of bunches of cars many times. Hope your wounds heal quickly.

SoCalSteve
05-28-2015, 06:43 PM
Went down hard a few weeks back in a beach parking lot...didn't think the sand drift was so deep and my wheels lost traction as I was turning on to the bike path...

Lots of road rash, some blood, shoulder took a big part of the fall and I'm 12 miles from home...looked around to see if I could get to the Lifegaurd station to get a rag and wipe up some of the blood so it wouldn't all drip down into my socks for on the trip home. Look to my right and lo and behold is a LA City Fire ambulance with two guys taking their lunch break while enjoying the ocean.

I rode over to them and apologized for messing up their lunch break, but could I get some assistance with the blood on my leg so I could ride home? They couldn't have been nicer or more generous with their time, water, rags, bandages, etc.

Made it home without any blood in my shoes. After, what seemed like forever, I got the blood, sand and dirt out from the road rash...Neosporin, bandages and a couple weeks and it's almost back to normal.

Yeah, as cyclists, we all fall down at some point or another. Lucky for both of us that there were no broken bones!

Good luck, heal quickly and keep the wounds very clean...:banana:

moose8
05-28-2015, 06:48 PM
I'm glad you and you're bike are more or less ok. It's amazing how thin the line can be between being upright and going down sometimes. I've noticed I fall in my road bike usually only I times of mental stress when I'm distracted (thankfully that's been awhile) and on my mountain bike when my confidence starts to outstrip my ability.

wc1934
05-28-2015, 07:20 PM
Went down hard a few weeks back in a beach parking lot...didn't think the sand drift was so deep and my wheels lost traction as I was turning on to the bike path...

Lots of road rash, some blood, shoulder took a big part of the fall and I'm 12 miles from home...looked around to see if I could get to the Lifegaurd station to get a rag and wipe up some of the blood so it wouldn't all drip down into my socks for on the trip home. Look to my right and lo and behold is a LA City Fire ambulance with two guys taking their lunch break while enjoying the ocean.

I rode over to them and apologized for messing up their lunch break, but could I get some assistance with the blood on my leg so I could ride home? They couldn't have been nicer or more generous with their time, water, rags, bandages, etc.

Made it home without any blood in my shoes. After, what seemed like forever, I got the blood, sand and dirt out from the road rash...Neosporin, bandages and a couple weeks and it's almost back to normal.

Yeah, as cyclists, we all fall down at some point or another. Lucky for both of us that there were no broken bones!

Hey - don't get blood on that nice oriental. Glad you and JAllen are OK (relatively speaking).

JAllen
05-28-2015, 09:33 PM
SoCal, gnarly wound my friend! That's great that the paramedics were so kind. It's probably a relief for them to just treat a relatively minor wound. I'm so beat from the day that I'm not going to get the chance to look my bike over. Had to install a rear mounted kickstand on my wife's commuter after work and didn't much feel like doing anything else...

Looks like I'm on the SS tomorrow!

Saint Vitus
05-28-2015, 09:36 PM
Yep, fell over once at a stop. laughed on the way down and as I gathered up myself afterwards. Always a humbling experience.

Jaq
05-28-2015, 10:35 PM
Thank goodness your 'stache didn't get hurt.

JAllen
05-28-2015, 11:00 PM
Thank goodness your 'stache didn't get hurt.
Thank God... I just don't know where I'd be if damaged the goods. ;)

stephenmarklay
05-28-2015, 11:04 PM

Hey I had the same divot out of the side of my knee too!

Hepmike
05-28-2015, 11:12 PM
I crashed at the bottom of the Burnside bridge (that doesn't sound like where you were) this past weekend, cutting across the streetcar tracks and they were a little wet...same thing, right in front of about 20 cars. It must have looked bad, about 4 different cars stopped to make sure I was ok. Of course there was a bunch of broken glass I slid my wrist into, and I had a nice humiliating/bloody ride home.

When I got back from an afternoon ride yesterday my 3 year old daughter exclaimed "daddy- you didn't fall off your bike today!"

stephenmarklay
05-28-2015, 11:24 PM
Glad your ok… About a month ago or so ago. I was riding my mountain bike around the driveway with my 6 year old. I jumped the curb but landed a little sideways. I could hear the front tire scrub and I went down pretty hard. In fact I broke a rib and it is now good enough to lay on. It was good though since my son said “dad, its not smart to lay in the road like that” :hello:

JAllen
05-28-2015, 11:27 PM
I crashed at the bottom of the Burnside bridge (that doesn't sound like where you were) this past weekend, cutting across the streetcar tracks and they were a little wet...same thing, right in front of about 20 cars. It must have looked bad, about 4 different cars stopped to make sure I was ok. Of course there was a bunch of broken glass I slid my wrist into, and I had a nice humiliating/bloody ride home.

When I got back from an afternoon ride yesterday my 3 year old daughter exclaimed "daddy- you didn't fall off your bike today!"
Oh man that's a bummer! Those tracks take people out on the regular. Friend of mine broke his collarbone couple years back on those tracks.

Dead Man
05-29-2015, 12:08 AM
Sux... but yea, count your blessings - definitely not the worst thing that can happen to you on your bike (as I know you know all too well). Did you hear about that kid in SE today?

About a year or so ago, I was creeping up on the stop sign at like 11th and Couch, waiting for traffic to clear so I could go, and a Subaru driving Portland asshat SLOWS DOWN like the over-polite non-cyclist retard all Portland cyclists know and hate.. so I have to slow down EVEN MORE, unwilling to just trust that he's not going to change his mind as I start to pedal through... now barely crawling forward at all, waiting, about to shout "just go, you f'ing reject!" my front tire dips into a pothole and I lose what little momentum was barely keeping me upright - BAM, on my side. On my BUDDY's bike, which he'd loaned me while mine was out of commish briefly.

Being the first nice day of spring, there's a THOUSAND people walking, standing, sitting around this popular Portland spot in the Pearl... and I'm now center-stage entertainment. Laughter, patronizing "oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh!"s, and half-baked "r u Okey?"s come flying in from all around me.

EXCELLENT.

cinema
05-29-2015, 12:26 AM
looks good!!

my hand slipped uninstalling a disc brake rotor this Tuesday and cut my finger all the way across and down to the bone!! still gushes blood if i brush it against something and accidentally open it again. just the best!

JAllen
05-29-2015, 12:42 AM
Sux... but yea, count your blessings - definitely not the worst thing that can happen to you on your bike (as I know you know all too well). Did you hear about that kid in SE today?

About a year or so ago, I was creeping up on the stop sign at like 11th and Couch, waiting for traffic to clear so I could go, and a Subaru driving Portland asshat SLOWS DOWN like the over-polite non-cyclist retard all Portland cyclists know and hate.. so I have to slow down EVEN MORE, unwilling to just trust that he's not going to change his mind as I start to pedal through... now barely crawling forward at all, waiting, about to shout "just go, you f'ing reject!" my front tire dips into a pothole and I lose what little momentum was barely keeping me upright - BAM, on my side. On my BUDDY's bike, which he'd loaned me while mine was out of commish briefly.

Being the first nice day of spring, there's a THOUSAND people walking, standing, sitting around this popular Portland spot in the Pearl... and I'm now center-stage entertainment. Laughter, patronizing "oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh!"s, and half-baked "r u Okey?"s come flying in from all around me.

EXCELLENT.
I'm not sure I did hear. It seems like there have been so many lately it's hard to keep track.

Dude, could imagine how much worse it would have been had you shouted at them drawing even more witnesses to your fall? Honestly I think you described one of my worst fears (non fatal or life threatening of course) while biking. Ugh... the Pearl? Tourist central... I'm sorry man.
looks good!!

my hand slipped uninstalling a disc brake rotor this Tuesday and cut my finger all the way across and down to the bone!! still gushes blood if i brush it against something and accidentally open it again. just the best!
Stitches?

cinema
05-29-2015, 01:36 AM
Stitches?

nah should be ok with a butterfly closure after a few days

kevinvc
05-29-2015, 12:31 PM
I haven't bitten it on the streetcar tracks... yet. But it seems like it's inevitable since pretty much everyone I know who rides downtown has biffed at least once. I cross them every day on my way to work, but make sure to take them as close to 90 degrees as possible. Even then, they're super slick when wet.

I can't believe all the people I see riding between the MAX tracks downtown. Not exactly giving themselves any room for error or space to maneuver if necessary.

Glad you are relatively ok. Hope your bike is too.

djg21
05-29-2015, 12:44 PM
You could be this guy!

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/videos/caught-on-film-the-moment-a-cyclist-rides-into-back-of-parked-car-174201

eddief
05-29-2015, 02:38 PM
xx

tumbler
05-30-2015, 09:20 AM
Glad you're ok. I had the a very similar experience last weekend, trying to signal while accelerating, but fortunately saved it and stayed upright. Happens to the best of us. The good thing is that we take these experiences with us and become better riders over time.

noshaver
05-30-2015, 11:04 AM
OUCH is right. Besides your pride and a few replaceable parts, get back on the bike and while you're at it, do something for yourself like a massage and a long hot bath..

JAllen
05-30-2015, 11:09 PM
Now it's all the aches and pain from being tossed on the ground like a rag doll! Bruises and soreness on the various spots that didn't hurt right away with road rash. Just comes with the territory! Thanks folks for the wishing well.