PDA

View Full Version : NY Post on Cycling

djg21
05-28-2015, 11:01 AM
It must be a slow faux-news day in NYC.

http://nypost.com/2015/05/28/killer-cyclist-gives-son-a-lesson-in-how-to-break-the-law/

http://nypost.com/2015/05/28/cyclist-killed-by-wrong-way-hit-and-run-driver/

vav
05-28-2015, 11:07 AM
Why do both journos keep making emphasis on the price / cost of the bikes?

" A pricey this" "a $ 4000 Jamis Eclipse, a $ 1800 that" :confused:

FlashUNC
05-28-2015, 11:20 AM
Why do both journos keep making emphasis on the price / cost of the bikes?

" A pricey this" "a $ 4000 Jamis Eclipse, a $ 1800 that" :confused:

You don't read the Post or other tabloid newspapers much I take it?

brando
05-28-2015, 11:48 AM
Ugh, they called the widower for comment. Disgusting.

sandyrs
05-28-2015, 01:20 PM
At least they didn't include the victim's helmet status in the story about the killed cyclist.

BobO
05-28-2015, 01:55 PM
It must be a slow faux-news day in NYC.

http://nypost.com/2015/05/28/killer-cyclist-gives-son-a-lesson-in-how-to-break-the-law/

While the Post's style is an example of poor journalism, this man may actually be due some criticism;

http://gothamist.com/2014/09/19/cyclist_central_park_tarlov.php

"He was yelling for her to get out of the way, but I don’t think she heard him,” one witness tells the Post, and another adds, "She went down pretty hard. The right side of her face looked very bad. There was blood all over her."

It's difficult to find results of the investigation, but it appears that he was dodging pedestrians when he came into contact with her. This implies that she had the right-of-way and he should have yielded to her. Though admittedly I can't state that with any certainty. It also seems possible that he was doing this while on the aero bars, which certainly isn't illegal, but, in traffic with pedestrians it could be foolish at best.

54ny77
05-28-2015, 02:07 PM
My wife and i were strolling around central park this past weekend in the middle of afternoon, and it was warm, sunny, and approximately 32.8 million other people were in there also enjoying the day. Sure as heck, at least a couple dozen "MAMILs" on tri bikes, road bikes etc weaving in & out, yelling, attempting to set their strava personal bests. More close calls than I can recount. Newsflash: 3 pm on a Sunday holiday weekend is a BAD time to ride a bike in the park. Heck, it's challenging enough to WALK safely!!!! The sheer stupidity of many cyclists in NYC knows no bounds.

BobO
05-28-2015, 02:17 PM
There is a guiding principle in auto racing that could easily apply to cycling both as it applied to pedestrians and motorists;

"It is the responsibility of the faster vehicle to execute a safe pass."

Of course this goes hand in hand with;

"While being passed maintain your line and be predictable."

Which pedestrians often don't. However, that does not diminish the responsibility of the faster person to execute the pass safely.

R3awak3n
05-28-2015, 02:30 PM
My wife and i were strolling around central park this past weekend in the middle of afternoon, and it was warm, sunny, and approximately 32.8 million other people were in there also enjoying the day. Sure as heck, at least a couple dozen "MAMILs" on tri bikes, road bikes etc weaving in & out, yelling, attempting to set their strava personal bests. More close calls than I can recount. Newsflash: 3 pm on a Sunday holiday weekend is a BAD time to ride a bike in the park. Heck, it's challenging enough to WALK safely!!!! The sheer stupidity of many cyclists in NYC knows no bounds.

Prospect park is where you ride any time of the day. Central park is only good very early in the morning or my favorite is late night, like 10pm.

54ny77
05-28-2015, 02:52 PM
R3--I lived in Manhattan for a good chunk of time (only rode in Propsect a few times, mainly for races, and it's a beautiful park), and agree with you 100%. If morning ride, I was there early enough to be outta there by 6:30 latest. If night, either went solo or with a buddy, and more often than not I used to ride with a group that would go till 10-11 continuously (starting around 8, i.e., people would come and go). That was often my favorite time to ride. Lotta fun park history in that group, very old school types (incl a few on track bikes) who knew every square inch of road and all the etiquette (and enforcement) that was appropriate.

velomonkey
05-28-2015, 04:21 PM
"While being passed maintain your line and be predictable."

Which pedestrians often don't. However, that does not diminish the responsibility of the faster person to execute the pass safely.

Agree with the first point - however, you ever ridden in NYC with any regularity then you'd see that pedestrians in the park are often no way predictable - U turns while wearing headphones for example.

Ride in the streets and you can have a green light and a pedestrian will make eye contact and walk right in front of you when they don't have the light. Happens every time I ride.

Difference is I don't classify all pedestrians as entitled, but I digress.

BobO
05-28-2015, 04:36 PM
Agree with the first point - however, you ever ridden in NYC with any regularity then you'd see that pedestrians in the park are often no way predictable - U turns while wearing headphones for example.

Ride in the streets and you can have a green light and a pedestrian will make eye contact and walk right in front of you when they don't have the light. Happens every time I ride.

I see the same thing on MUP's here, inattentive pedestrians and cyclists for that matter. It results in me slowing to a crawl when others are around, as that is the only way I can assure myself that I'm in control of the situation. I do the same in my car when cyclists are around, particularly obviously inexperienced cyclists.

Headphones and earbuds are among the most dangerous things on these paths and on the roads. One can literally yell, "on your left!" and it goes unheard.

*I have driven in NY many times in the early nineties, have never ridden there.

fiamme red
05-28-2015, 08:39 PM
I was riding a little earlier down 7th Avenue in Manhattan, and more than once, I rang my bell furiously (I had the green light, of course), but a crowd of pedestrians just continued to cross the avenue right in front of me.

Cyclists get no respect from pedestrians. Which is one reason why the segregated bike lanes in the city are so useless.

paredown
05-28-2015, 09:00 PM
At least they didn't include the victim's helmet status in the story about the killed cyclist.

No--it's there:

Musatov, who wasn’t wearing a helmet at the time of the crash, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Like it's going to help....

54ny77
05-28-2015, 09:01 PM
Yup.

More weekend comedy: the bike lane on 1st avenue in the upper east, people riding bikes in both directions. I take it that's not allowed (or intended)?

I'm talking everyone from food delivery guys, to families on bikes (kids, parents, teens), to commuters, to more serious amateur cyclists coming or going from somewhere, and everything in between....like salmon swimming upstream. Oh and then there's the food delivery trucks, cabs, cars, and every other assorted vehicle on the road who thinks nothing of parking right in the middle of the bike lane while people are on it. Sure, why not? It's open road and green no less. How nice! :bike:

Which is one reason why the segregated bike lanes in the city are so useless.

Aaron O
05-28-2015, 09:16 PM
Riding in Philly is bad enough...NYC is far more insane. The peds up there have an entitled suicidal approach that baffles lemmings. I'll wait to hear more before blaming him.

I smashed into a ped in a cross walk about 3 years ago - probably hit her at about 10mph. I was around 15 and bled off speed before impact, so hardly racing. It was entirely her fault - she acted like a buffoon stepping into traffic against a light without looking...and then freezing and backing up into my line when I shouted. She initially crossed with a guy who hustled across.

She was young and healthy - if she were older, or fell wrong, it could have been bad. I could just as easily have been blamed by people jumping to conclusions.

paredown
05-28-2015, 09:25 PM
Riding in Philly is bad enough...NYC is far more insane. The peds up there have an entitled suicidal approach that baffles lemmings. I'll wait to hear more before blaming him.

I smashed into a ped in a cross walk about 3 years ago - probably hit her at about 10mph. I was around 15 and bled off speed before impact, so hardly racing. It was entirely her fault - she acted like a buffoon stepping into traffic against a light without looking...and then freezing and backing up into my line when I shouted. She initially crossed with a guy who hustled across.

She was young and healthy - if she were older, or fell wrong, it could have been bad. I could just as easily have been blamed by people jumping to conclusions.

My route for the city used to finish by coming down Broadway heading for the Brooklyn Bridge--this was before they did all the pedestrian zones and stuff. Even at my advanced age, you could get rolling with the traffic on the slight downhill.

Every ride I would have multiple pedestrians step of the sidewalk in front of me--mid block, at intersections against the red--it was horrifying.

I had a few heart in the mouth moments and never hit anyone, but I locked it up more than once. And when I yelled, they yelled back even when they were completely in the wrong.

fuzzalow
05-28-2015, 09:27 PM
More weekend comedy: the bike lane on 1st avenue in the upper east, people riding bikes in both directions. I take it that's not allowed (or intended)?

From riding the First Avenue bike lane earlier this evening: Some guy not just riding downtown against the bike lane traffic direction, but riding to his left! Keep right except to pass, right? Heck yeah, even for this guy riding the wrong way, riding MY right! HaHa! Maybe he was a brit or an aussie. Who's on first?!?! I Don't Know's on Third!! Any number can play! Bingo!

It doesn't bother me. I don't expect speed, sense or courtesy with "comrade bikers" anywhere traffic. I only want to avoid a kinetic encounter. No matter 'cos I'm not on a bus or subway, it's faster than walking and I'm riding my Brompton. I still win.

Aaron O
05-28-2015, 09:30 PM
My route for the city used to finish by coming down Broadway heading for the Brooklyn Bridge--this was before they did all the pedestrian zones and stuff. Even at my advanced age, you could get rolling with the traffic on the slight downhill.

Every ride I would have multiple pedestrians step of the sidewalk in front of me--mid block, at intersections against the red--it was horrifying.

I had a few heart in the mouth moments and never hit anyone, but I locked it up more than once. And when I yelled, they yelled back even when they were completely in the wrong.
Isn't it amazing? People running across reds yelling at you??? I used to get annoyed, but I've been doing better at letting it go. I've also found bells and airzounds offend less than yelling - so I ring or honk now when I can. I don't think I could handle NYC cycling long term...even going up twice a month and riding to a client annoys the crap out of me. I HATE Manhattan.

I've made mistakes and done dumb stuff - and I've apogized. Why is it so freaking hard to just say sorry?

R3awak3n
05-28-2015, 10:50 PM
Yup.

I'm talking everyone from food delivery guys, to families on bikes (kids, parents, teens), to commuters, to more serious amateur cyclists coming or going from somewhere, and everything in between....like salmon swimming upstream. Oh and then there's the food delivery trucks, cabs, cars, and every other assorted vehicle on the road who thinks nothing of parking right in the middle of the bike lane while people are on it. Sure, why not? It's open road and green no less. How nice! :bike:

1st av bike lane should just go away, took it a couple of times to queens bridge and was enought to never wanting to go that way again

Mr. Pink
05-29-2015, 09:38 AM
Why I live in the far northern burbs.