PDA

View Full Version : When cyclists attack . . .

rpm
05-27-2015, 08:59 PM
For some reason, a group of local cyclists has developed an intense dislike for Pedal Pubs, which are rolling bars where people sit and drink beer while pedaling the thing along. This last week, the group decided to launch a squirt gun and water balloon attack on a random Pedal Pub.

Whether it was bad luck or bad karma, the Pub they chose to attack just happened to have had half a dozen off-duty policman on it. The results were predictable:

http://www.startribune.com/cyclists-attack-pedalpubs-with-squirt-guns-in-minneapolis-six-arrested/304874021/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKdT3SNSH64

Dead Man
05-27-2015, 09:06 PM
Uhg.. what a bunch of fail.

likebikes
05-27-2015, 09:07 PM
Good thing they were off-duty, probably would have been 6 body bags if they were on...

jimoots
05-27-2015, 09:41 PM
Good thing they were off-duty, probably would have been 6 body bags if they were on...

Personally I'd mess with a sober on-duty cop rather than an off-duty drunk one.

Still. Idiots for doing it, idiots for allowing themselves to get caught.

Jgrooms
05-27-2015, 10:23 PM
Mr Man Boobs is a bad ass! So you can pedal a vehicle on public streets while drinking? Wth is this? Yes Judge, they attacked us with water balloons & squirt guns, so we slammed them into the pavement & arrested them...

Steve in SLO
05-27-2015, 10:58 PM
Part of me gets that this could be annoying and potentially dangerous, especially if you target the driver.
Another part of me says arm the Pedal Pubs to the teeth with squirt guns and water balloons and fight back-"Repel all boarders!"-and have fun with it.

d_douglas
05-27-2015, 11:14 PM
Depressing. the decline of western civilization...

unterhausen
05-28-2015, 06:44 AM
the idea of someone attacking random strangers with water balloons and expecting to get away with it is pretty depressing.

saab2000
05-28-2015, 06:52 AM
Why would somebody dislike the pedal pubs? This bothers me as a former and hopefully future resident of the Twin Cities, which has always been open minded and 'fun'.

I'm ashamed that cyclists (especially Twin Cities cyclists), who are often victims of hostility, would perpetrate an act as cowardly as what is described.

The Twin Cities has perhaps the best urban cycling in the US. This whole incident is sickening. :crap:

oldpotatoe
05-28-2015, 07:46 AM
Why would somebody dislike the pedal pubs? This bothers me as a former and hopefully future resident of the Twin Cities, which has always been open minded and 'fun'.

I'm ashamed that cyclists (especially Twin Cities cyclists), who are often victims of hostility, would perpetrate an act as cowardly as what is described.

The Twin Cities has perhaps the best urban cycling in the US. This whole incident is sickening. :crap:

Agree, they have one of these things that wanders around the Pearl St mall...bunch pedaling along having a beer...having fun....I wouldn't call those guys 'cyclists', but knuckleheads who happened to be on bikes.

JAllen
05-28-2015, 07:50 AM
Wow, great! So next time someone is struck by a vehicle the cops can take an even more apathetic approach... These guys did nobody any favors. Not to mention, it's now plastered on the internet for everyone to see...

ps. Not to generalize law enforcement as it is made up of individuals, but we all know that status quo is extreme leniency on the driver.

nooneline
05-28-2015, 08:26 AM
Bit of an overreaction to squirt guns.

firerescuefin
05-28-2015, 08:30 AM

So...you are out in public at a place of business, and you're attacked by a rogue group with Super Soakers and Water Balloons. You cool with that (as either the consumer or the owner of the business)?

IMO, When it's cracked down on and people know there are tangible repercussions for such behavior, it tends to stop happening.

cfox
05-28-2015, 09:01 AM

I'm not a big fan of people imposing their crap on me while I'm doing nothing wrong, minding my own business. I have no problem with people being taken to task aggressively for being aggressive a-holes in the first place. Riding up and shooting a pedal-pub driver in the face with a super soaker qualifies as aggressive behavior in my book.

54ny77
05-28-2015, 09:06 AM
I'll venture a guess that the folks doing the super soaking weren't upstanding citizenry, the kid-next-door types (who'd also get an ass-whooping by their dad).

I'm not a big fan of people imposing their crap on me while I'm doing nothing wrong, minding my own business. I have no problem with people being taken to task aggressively for being aggressive a-holes in the first place. Riding up and shooting a pedal-pub driver in the face with a super soaker qualifies as aggressive behavior in my book.

eddief
05-28-2015, 09:17 AM
all the news fit to print.

professerr
05-28-2015, 11:21 AM
This was a harmless prank, at worse a misdemeanor. Imagine how much more these guys overact when they have the actual authority of being on-duty (and sober) and they “reasonably believe” there is some physical threat by someone other than a dope on a bike with squirt-gun, or witness wielding a backpack.

Tip of the iceberg here that has now grown big enough to poke even white suburbanites. People here fear the police more than any first world country I’ve lived in, and more than almost all the third-world ones too.

russ46
05-28-2015, 11:27 AM
I think this is a new business potential - "BIKE BAR". Business model would be based on following pelotons and group rides and handing out brews to thirsty riders. Extra charge for providing brew in water bottles. Still need to work out how to keep up - maybe go electric. Franchise anyone?

nooneline
05-28-2015, 11:32 AM
So...you are out in public at a place of business, and you're attacked by a rogue group with Super Soakers and Water Balloons. You cool with that (as either the consumer or the owner of the business)?

IMO, When it's cracked down on and people know there are tangible repercussions for such behavior, it tends to stop happening.

How did you get that from my comment?

firerescuefin
05-28-2015, 11:38 AM
How did you get that from my comment?

You said "a bit of an overreaction to squirt guns".

I don't know what other way to take it. What should of the reaction been? This had started to become an ongoing issue and seemed to be escalating.

nooneline
05-28-2015, 12:03 PM
You said "a bit of an overreaction to squirt guns".

I don't know what other way to take it. What should of the reaction been? This had started to become an ongoing issue and seemed to be escalating.

I said over-reaction. And you implied that I'm okay with nothing.

There's something in between the two, you know.

CaliFly
05-28-2015, 12:08 PM
Saw a couple of these rolling bars in Budapest. It's all good fun.

Let's replace the "rolling" with "outdoor" and assume this was some sidewalk bar. Attacking the patrons with soakers and balloon bombs is just not cool.

firerescuefin
05-28-2015, 01:04 PM
I said over-reaction. And you implied that I'm okay with nothing.

There's something in between the two, you know.

Not baiting you, but the reaction should have been what? They had been escalating their behavior. They were taken down and arrested. I don't have a problem with it.

gdw
05-28-2015, 01:40 PM
They are also 24, 26, 31 (2), and 42... too old to be pulling stunts like this.

Seramount
05-28-2015, 01:46 PM
meh, the jerks of the world can all benefit from a good beat-down to remind them not to be jerks...

if you don't like having your ass whipped, just go ride your bikes and leave the pedal drinkers alone.

Golden Rule stuff is not rocket science.

fogrider
05-28-2015, 01:53 PM
just because they were on a bike does not mean they were cyclist.

nooneline
05-28-2015, 03:13 PM
Not baiting you, but the reaction should have been what? They had been escalating their behavior. They were taken down and arrested. I don't have a problem with it.

Since the police were already called, letting them handle it could have been a good route, instead of aggressive further escalation from drunk, off-duty vigilantes.

Edit: I was actually thinking about this some more during a contemplative trip to the urinal in my work bathroom. What would my reaction be if somebody were harassing me in public with a squirt gun? On a good day, on a very good day, I would probably be giddy and very entertained by the idea of a public, impromptu water fight. On a bad day I'd be pretty pissed. Either way it would probably involve some chasing and an attempt to commandeer a squirt gun. In both situations, return fire. On a bad day, it would be shortly before breaking the damn thing. Justice is balance, eh?

Aaron O
05-28-2015, 03:26 PM

It's very hard to feel sympathetic to the idiots, but it's not their job to mete out justice, and that response seems excessive to me. I'm also fairly sure that when drinking they're not supposed to engage at all; they're supposed to call in sober police.

A night in the hokey and probation seems a reasonable outcome without the full on beat down...now they'll get settlements for the excessive force/alcohol.

Rolling bars are outrageous, though I believe most are captained by a sober employee and the idiots only pedal.

I have no idea what their community is like, but I actvely resent that in mine the police/DAs have very different standards of justice for themselves vs. their employers. I doubt they'd respond at all to a water balloon attack in my city - even witnessing one. Unless it's their kid. Sorry for the tirade, just some very bad experiences of late.

Note - my biggest client is a security firm that are almost entirely former police - they're great guys.

Saint Vitus
05-28-2015, 03:37 PM
What would my reaction be if somebody were harassing me in public with a squirt gun? On a good day, on a very good day, I would probably be giddy and very entertained by the idea of a public, impromptu water fight. On a bad day I'd be pretty pissed. Either way it would probably involve some chasing and an attempt to commandeer a squirt gun. In both situations, return fire. On a bad day, it would be shortly before breaking the damn thing. Justice is balance, eh?

So in a way like the guy who starts impromptu pillow fights with anyone, anywhere? Have you seen those? Very funny, but some won't play along though most will.

BobO
05-28-2015, 03:46 PM
What would my reaction be if somebody were harassing me in public with a squirt gun? On a good day, on a very good day, I would probably be giddy and very entertained by the idea of a public, impromptu water fight. On a bad day I'd be pretty pissed. Either way it would probably involve some chasing and an attempt to commandeer a squirt gun. In both situations, return fire. On a bad day, it would be shortly before breaking the damn thing. Justice is balance, eh?

On a bad day it would be chase them down with a bottle of 151 and a lighter. :no:

Nothing quite like a pyro haircut to learn some fool a lesson. :bike:

Dead Man
05-28-2015, 03:55 PM
This is just asshat meets asshat. Now both cyclists and cops collectively look a tiny bit stupider. I'm definitely not taking a side- you lose either way.

Aaron O
05-28-2015, 04:10 PM
This is just asshat meets asshat. Now both cyclists and cops collectively look a tiny bit stupider. I'm definitely not taking a side- you lose either way.

Except that one side are trained adults we trust with guns, badges and a lot of authority without much over site.

tiretrax
05-28-2015, 04:12 PM
It's battery, so the cyclists were wrong in initiating this. Let the drunkards have fun. Makes everyone look bad, and certainly doesn't build good will with the cops (even if they weren't the group on the bikepub).

gdw
05-28-2015, 04:18 PM
How would you feel if your group ride were "attacked" by people in cars? Similar scenario, slightly faster vehicles passing by and hitting members of your group with water balloons and super soakers.... 3 times? Would it be a harmless prank, harassment, assault, worse?

Methinks they were lucky that they chose cops to attack. If they had pulled that stunt on the wrong group they would have learned the difference between a take down and beat down.

oldpotatoe
05-28-2015, 05:06 PM
How would you feel if your group ride were "attacked" by people in cars? Similar scenario, slightly faster vehicles passing by and hitting members of your group with water balloons and super soakers.... 3 times? Would it be a harmless prank, harassment, assault, worse?

Methinks they were lucky that they chose cops to attack. If they had pulled that stunt on the wrong group they would have learned the difference between a take down and beat down.

Glad somebody said it. If it had been directed at 'cyclists' we could hear the howl from here. Additionally if it had involved Police. Yes some really bad press about law enforcement and rightly so in some cases but being a small biz owner in the republic, they did nothing but always be helpful and courteous to me.

Aaron O
05-28-2015, 05:24 PM
Glad somebody said it. If it had been directed at 'cyclists' we could hear the howl from here. Additionally if it had involved Police. Yes some really bad press about law enforcement and rightly so in some cases but being a small biz owner in the republic, they did nothing but always be helpful and courteous to me.

I don't think people are defending the water gun warriors...I think the concern is that police who were drinking may have taken it further than it should have gone.

Without more video it's hard to criticize, but the drinking part is worrisome.

The other issue for me is that if this had happened to me I don't think they would have bothered even taking names in my community. Apples to oranges since I don't know the culture of that police force...but it grates that our service levels are so crappy while they take care of their own.

youngman
05-28-2015, 07:33 PM
This was setup in advance to get some off duty cops on some of these pedal pubs. I seriously don't think the cops were drinking as this was a setup to get these people who had been going out after some of these pedal pubs. And funnier yet announced their intentions on facebook and social media.

unterhausen
05-28-2015, 07:45 PM
If it had been directed at 'cyclists' we could hear the howl from here. I don't feel compelled to condemn every ill-behaved cyclist much the same way that I don't feel compelled to condemn every ill-behaved motorist. I expect people to drive in a safe manner around me when I'm cycling and when I'm motoring. If they don't, I expect the police to handle it. To have some sort of tribal tint to these interactions is really difficult, and I think most police are more professional than that. Fact is, the 'thin blue line' is a taint on their professionalism, but we as citizens will work through that, I'm sure

eta: I have a standing offer to anyone that for $20***, you can tell me your planned course of action, and I will tell you if it is a good idea or not. For only $20, this group could have saved themselves a (well deserved) beatdown and court costs and all sorts of hassle. They failed to take me up on this offer, and look what happened.

***I might have waived the $20 fee in this case, sometimes I feel charitable.

oldpotatoe
05-29-2015, 06:02 AM
I don't think people are defending the water gun warriors...I think the concern is that police who were drinking may have taken it further than it should have gone.

The other issue for me is that if this had happened to me I don't think they would have bothered even taking names in my community. Apples to oranges since I don't know the culture of that police force...but it grates that our service levels are so crappy while they take care of their own.

Errr, some here are...

Let's look at the chain of events..be afraid of the 'possible' outcomes all you want but the butt-heads shouldn't have 'attacked' the beer bike in the first place. Cops drinking...hit by water balloons, 'may' have seen all the guys on bikes shot...probably not. Even a bunch of off duty computer software guys may have smacked these knuckleheads around too. 'Some' may have even been 'packing'..I feel far better with a trained guy(LE) with a gun than some guy who 'passed the course'..and then carries a gun.

In guess you could pass a law that law enforcement shouldn't drink, ever...guess not.

oldpotatoe
05-29-2015, 06:05 AM
This was setup in advance to get some off duty cops on some of these pedal pubs. I seriously don't think the cops were drinking as this was a setup to get these people who had been going out after some of these pedal pubs. And funnier yet announced their intentions on facebook and social media.

Really...that kinda changes this discussion...a lot..

Aaron O
05-29-2015, 07:34 AM
Errr, some here are...

Let's look at the chain of events..be afraid of the 'possible' outcomes all you want but the butt-heads shouldn't have 'attacked' the beer bike in the first place. Cops drinking...hit by water balloons, 'may' have seen all the guys on bikes shot...probably not. Even a bunch of off duty computer software guys may have smacked these knuckleheads around too. 'Some' may have even been 'packing'..I feel far better with a trained guy(LE) with a gun than some guy who 'passed the course'..and then carries a gun.

In guess you could pass a law that law enforcement shouldn't drink, ever...guess not.

I view it somewhat differently than you do...if they got smacked around a bit by ordinary joes I really wouldn't care much...as you said, that is a logical outcome of their behavior. The full take down by figures of authority who likely were breaking policy by acting concerns me more because they're trained and because we do give them so much leeway. It's the difference between shoplifting and an accountant breaking a fiduciary trust - at least to me.

If one of the hypothetical people were packing and drew because of a water gun attack, I'd be calling for their head. Just because the other guy started it doesn't give the responder carte Blanche. At the end of the day I'm more afraid of police using too much force while drinking then I am of idiots with water balloons.

If it was a setup in advance it changes things...except that then the police woildn't have been off duty. If it was a setup while they were off duty, there are other possible concerns. I have no idea what Minneapolis is like in terms of crime, police culture and commitments - but if they found the time to go after water balloon kids in philly, I'd be furious...and would assume the business owner was a friend or relative of "someone".

velomonkey
05-29-2015, 08:00 AM
The balloon, squirt gun thing was stupid - dumb - idiotic.

Having an agent of the city threaten to break your arm is 100% unacceptable. Much less one that is not on duty. It's right in the video - the threat was very clear.

Going by a legal establishment and peppering the people with water guns is dumb, water balloons are dumb - they pail in compairson to what occurred.

nooneline
05-29-2015, 08:17 AM
The balloon, squirt gun thing was stupid - dumb - idiotic.

Having an agent of the city threaten to break your arm is 100% unacceptable. Much less one that is not on duty. It's right in the video - the threat was very clear.

Going by a legal establishment and peppering the people with water guns is dumb, water balloons are dumb - they pail in compairson to what occurred.

Exactly.
Like, just because there are two sides here, doesn't mean that people have to pick ONE.
everybody involved can be an arsehole doing dumb things.

gemship
05-29-2015, 08:29 AM
I think the water guns were idiotic and I am with others in that the responses by off duty police maybe a bit harsh yet I am not surprised. I mean see what happens when you do that to me, lol...although since they are trained police they should know better. As an aside I simply think pedal pubs are ridiculous. Granted I live in Ma. the puritanical state but we do have a bar that is fenced in within the confines of North Station train station and its a ridiculous site. As if anybody really needs a beer/alcoholic beverage that bad one has to site in this little quarantined area. Frankly I am amazed pedal pubs exist.

gdw
05-29-2015, 08:48 AM
Watch the video a few times. Two of the three guys arrested were initially resisting. The threat was made to the one who continued to struggle and was eventually charged with resisting arrest. If they were trying to cuff or restrain him and had his arm locked in a hold and he was still struggling then it wouldn't be out of line to tell him that his arm would be broken.

I'd like to see the video taken by the women in the jeans and green top who wasn't with the guys on the bikes like the one who posted the clip on YouTube. She was still filming the action when the YouTube clip ended and might have caught more of the takedown as well.

velomonkey
05-29-2015, 08:52 AM
"see what happens to you if you do that to me" - everyone says that.

Let's take it to it's implied conclusion.

You're sitting outside on a warm day having beer at a mobile pub being served and carted around by a human. (Sorry, but at the start your dignity is already low, but I digress).

Some punks come by and squirt you with water and pepper the place with balloons filled with water.

Water . . warm . . outside . . . the next step is give the punks a beat down?????

I've gotten in fights and it's been a while, but I don't think, ever, that water was the line where I punched someone.

Water is fairly harmless . . . yea, yea, I know, it was an assault with . . . water. Throw your beer all over the dude and be done - beer is gross, sticky and smells and it's compounded on a warm day. If the place doesn't give you a free beer after that, well, then, maybe that's why they got pelted with water in the first place.

Getting a fight . . . come on.

rpm
05-29-2015, 10:23 AM

It's been a slow news week on the tundra, and this story has been getting a lot of local press, but I haven't read anything about the cops being there waiting for them.

pbarry
05-29-2015, 11:08 AM
It's been a slow news week on the tundra, and this story has been getting a lot of local press, but I haven't read anything about the cops being there waiting for them.

The linked article explains the police operation..

cfox
05-29-2015, 11:20 AM
The linked article explains the police operation..

I got that too. Only on the ever reliable news source that is youtube are they described as "drunk off-duty cops". Maybe they were off duty cops that knew what was going on and wanted to do something about it.

ergott
05-29-2015, 11:33 AM
Some punks come by and squirt you with water and pepper the place with balloons filled with water.

Water . . warm . . outside . . . the next step is give the punks a beat down?????

Just a point of information. Water attack can cost thousands if their phones were wet. Your average cell phone costs $600 give or take.

You aren't being carted around on that bar. All the attendees pedal and one person steers the vessel. I assume the operator is from the company that owns the car and is sober.

Aaron O
05-29-2015, 11:37 AM
I got that too. Only on the ever reliable news source that is youtube are they described as "drunk off-duty cops". Maybe they were off duty cops that knew what was going on and wanted to do something about it.

Not buying this at all...and even if I were, I'd still have an issue with sober off duty cops dishing out street justice. If this was official, it's official...if not, and it was planned...what was wrong with official channels?

Articles report a 5 minute response time...with the officers sitting on them...some with three on top...for that five minutes. Had it been a set up I don't see it taking a 5 minute reaction.

cfox
05-29-2015, 11:52 AM
Not buying this at all...and even if I were, I'd still have an issue with sober off duty cops dishing out street justice. If this was official, it's official...if not, and it was planned...what was wrong with official channels?

Articles report a 5 minute response time...with the officers sitting on them...some with three on top...for that five minutes. Had it been a set up I don't see it taking a 5 minute reaction.

The article states the police knew the attacks were coming and had a group of cops waiting in one spot. An attack didn't happen at that particular spot. Maybe the police didn't want to allocate enough cops to cover every pedal pub? My guess is some off duty cops worked in conjunction with their on-duty pals. Seems like too much of a coincidence that six off-duty cops happened to be on a pedal pub the day they knew a water attack was coming. And why is it "street justice"? What should they (the off-duty cops) or any civilian have done? Just stood there while the morons rode away on their bikes?

Aaron O
05-29-2015, 11:55 AM
The article states the police knew the attacks were coming and had a group of cops waiting in one spot. An attack didn't happen at that particular spot. Maybe the police didn't want to allocate enough cops to cover every pedal pub? My guess is some off duty cops worked in conjunction with their on-duty pals. Seems like too much of a coincidence that six off-duty cops happened to be on a pedal pub the day they knew a water attack was coming. And why is it "street justice"? What should they (the off-duty cops) or any civilian have done? Just stood there while the morons rode away on their bikes?

No...they should make a show of destroying the guns, sitting three atop on them and treat them like armed back robbers instead of idiots with water guns.

Really? A coordinated strike force, utilizing off duty officers, for a water gun attack? I'm sure I'd get that sort of protection.

I'll wait until more information/law suits, but this smells to me. Bottom line is there isn't enough info to form judgement...but thus far it sets off my BS detector.

velomonkey
05-29-2015, 12:01 PM
Just a point of information. Water attack can cost thousands if their phones were wet. Your average cell phone costs $600 give or take.

Thanks for the clarification . . . . doesn't alter my conclusion. You could have just gotten a perm and the water would render the expensive chemicals useless costing hundreds of dollars. Still . . . the next step is a beat down?!?!

I can assure you . . if I were at a party and some drunk fool pushed me into a pool fully clothed and ruined my phone - something far worse than soakers and balloons - I'd do something, but a beatdown, no.

firerescuefin
05-29-2015, 12:03 PM
No...they should make a show of destroying the guns, sitting three atop on them and treat them like armed back robbers instead of idiots with water guns.

Really? A coordinated strike force, utilizing off duty officers, for a water gun attack? I'm sure I'd get that sort of protection.

I'll wait until more information/law suits, but this smells to me. Bottom line is there isn't enough info to form judgement...but thus far it sets off my BS detector.

For someone that says there's not enough to form judgement...there's a lot of judgement. You know who's not complaining.... The owners of the pedal bars, the patrons, and future patrons.

velomonkey
05-29-2015, 12:08 PM
You know who's not complaining.... The owners of the pedal bars, the patrons, and future patrons.

That line of reasoning doesn't work for me because the racist restaurant owner and racist patrons could say the exact same thing about using the cops to keep blacks out.

Justice is supposed to be blind - or have we totally given up on that - this just seems like a stretch too far for water guns and water balloons. Sorry, it does.

"I'll break your arm" and "this is your chance to run" - come on, bro.

Aaron O
05-29-2015, 12:12 PM
For someone that says there's not enough to form judgement...there's a lot of judgement. You know who's not complaining.... The owners of the pedal bars, the patrons, and future patrons.

You're right...there isn't enough info to draw conclusions yet...but, based on my experiences and biases, I definitely think it's time to check for fire. I do see smoke. I'm sure they're not complaining...the question to me is whether they received special protection/favoritism. This is also a balancing act...and regardless of how stupid the warriors were, and they were stupid, that response seemed possibly disproportionate.

I admit a strong bias based on my experiences, and Minneapolis is probably a more professionally run city/force. Philly is rough...we have a long history of issues and poor culture. I think it is changing...but for 10 years our police confiscated and destroyed cameras from people taking photos (and charged photogs with everything from wiretapping to "disturbing the peace"). That was with directives and training specifically stating they couldn't. It didn't matter since they knew there would be no repercussions (other than the judgments paid out by tax payers).

We're the city that dropped a bomb on a block, let it burn, re-elected the mayor and NO ONE was held accountable. Later we used a construction firm related to the mayor to rebuild $40,000 homes at 250 k a piece...and they all fell apart. I remember an old cartoon...NYC police around a bank robbery shouting hands up or we'll call the Philadelphia police.

As far as the rolling bars themselves...how these can be tolerated is beyond me. We got one recently and it's freaking terrible. (Yes, I'm a cranky old guy who doesn't drink much).

cat6
05-29-2015, 12:30 PM
I can assure you . . if I were at a party and some drunk fool pushed me into a pool fully clothed and ruined my phone - something far worse than soakers and balloons - I'd do something, but a beatdown, no.

My guess is you'd come here and create an OT post, "What would you do if someone pushed you in to a pool and ruined your phone?"

velomonkey
05-29-2015, 12:34 PM
My guess is you'd come here and create an OT post, "What would you do if someone pushed you in to a pool and ruined your phone?"

Nah, I'd just PM some people . . . you wouldn't be one of them. (Did my sarcasm register, I hope it did, I was really trying there and laying it on thick).

EPIC! Stratton
05-29-2015, 01:16 PM
PedalPub and police had advance intel on the attacks. A posting on the Twin Cities Facebook page of “I Hate the Pedal Pub,” said bikers were going to gather at 1 p.m. Saturday at Loring Park “and they were going to pull a ‘Mad Max’ on the PedalPub with water balloons and squirt guns,” Stanplin said.

I love that they essentially announced their intentions to the world. Morons. Additionally, lousy behavior overall. But you know what they say about people...... they're the worst.

ergott
05-29-2015, 01:24 PM
they're the worst.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b4/9a/8a/b49a8a0308eb91de4bd43494cfe2ac53.jpg

Seramount
05-29-2015, 01:45 PM
grown men who get together and actually plan to 'attack' and harass other people who aren't doing jacksquat to them need a little attitude tune-up.

glad they got one.

kingpin75s
05-29-2015, 01:59 PM
One of the Pedal Pub routes passes by the back side of my block in Uptown.

The Pedal Pubs are silly and can be a little disruptive to local traffic in a very busy neighborhood, but are really not a big disturbance.

The fact that a group posted a page to go after the Pedal Pub is pretty dumb and as the Police were very aware of the plans, I am in agreement with those who think the "loaded" pub may be more than a coincidence.

The whole thing is kind of sad and stupid and does not help real divisions even within an amazing bike community.

rugbysecondrow
05-29-2015, 02:10 PM
the idea of someone attacking random strangers with water balloons and expecting to get away with it is pretty depressing.

What is more depressing are people making excuses for these jerks who decided to attack other people. If I laid wait and squirted cyclists in the face as they rode by, I suppose that is just good fun that nobody here would get upset about? Of course not, folks here would be up in arms.

Squirting the driver in the face, hitting a woman in the head with a water balloon. The driver could crash, the woman could fall off. If this doesn't get nipped in the bud, where does it stop? Vinegar, urine, water dye, etc etc. It doesn't take long for these assholes to feel empowered to try more and more tactics.

If I was on there, and my wife got hit in the back of the head, there would be trouble for somebody.

Let me add this. I was walking down the street once, cars slowly pulls up close, I make eye contact, then the guy pulls a gun a shoots. It was a water gun, but my mind only processed that something was raised and fired. My fight or flight was triggered just the same. After ducking, the car took off and I ran it down at the light. The 20 year old kid was trying to impress some ladies in the car, but he also wouldn't step out of the car to have a talk about this.

I have extreme tolerance for accidents, but I won't tolerate intentional acts like this. Take those bitches down, and make em hurt.

"The first driver said she’d been squirted in the face; the second driver, a few blocks away, said she and the passengers had been attacked."

"hit one woman in the back of the head with a water balloon."

velomonkey
05-29-2015, 02:16 PM
I have extreme tolerance for accidents, but I won't tolerate intentional acts like this. Take those bitches down, and make em hurt.

And here is where I can't reconcile . . . .a drunk driver mows over a biker, kills 'em, leaves them - we gotta wait for the facts (don't make me cite the Bishop stuff).

Some idiots use soakers and balloons filled with water . . . "take those bitches down and make 'em hurt."

Sooooooo does not reconcile in my view, but, hey, peddle on.

rugbysecondrow
05-29-2015, 02:16 PM

They held them, detained them, told some people it was their chance to leave or they too would be arrested.

No beatings were seen, no over reaction at all. They held them down, and kept them from running until the police came.

Sorry ya'll, no defense for these dickheads attacking people for no reason. Period.

rugbysecondrow
05-29-2015, 02:18 PM
And here is where I can't reconcile . . . .a drunk driver mows over a biker, kills 'em, leaves them - we gotta wait for the facts (don't make me cite the Bishop stuff).

Some idiots use soakers and balloons filled with water . . . "take those bitches down and make 'em hurt."

Sooooooo does not reconcile in my view, but, hey, peddle on.

oh bother, here you go again.

nooneline
05-29-2015, 02:21 PM
What is more depressing are people making excuses for these jerks who decided to attack other people.

Who is doing this?

velomonkey
05-29-2015, 02:21 PM
oh bother, here you go again.

You don't get to say that and have a post count significantly higher than mine.

Just doesn't work that way, bro.

rugbysecondrow
05-29-2015, 02:26 PM
Who is doing this?

A quick reading of the prior 4 pages indicates a range of response from "no big deal, its just water" to " they are idiots, but so what".

Seems to be excuses making for why they didn't deserve repercussions from their actions.

velomonkey
05-29-2015, 02:29 PM
A quick reading of the prior 4 pages indicates a range of response from "no big deal, its just water" to " they are idiots, but so what".

Seems to be excuses making for why they didn't deserve repercussions from their actions.

Water balloons equal a threat from an officer to "brake your arm" - ok, gotcha. It's very clear where you stand - I could not disagree more, but whatever. However, you claiming people are defending them. You are wrong. Let me use a word you like to drive my point home. "Period."

professerr
05-29-2015, 04:03 PM
What is more depressing are people making excuses for these jerks who decided to attack other people. If I laid wait and squirted cyclists in the face as they rode by, I suppose that is just good fun that nobody here would get upset about? Of course not, folks here would be up in arms.

Squirting the driver in the face, hitting a woman in the head with a water balloon. The driver could crash, the woman could fall off. If this doesn't get nipped in the bud, where does it stop? Vinegar, urine, water dye, etc etc. It doesn't take long for these assholes to feel empowered to try more and more tactics.

If I was on there, and my wife got hit in the back of the head, there would be trouble for somebody.

Let me add this. I was walking down the street once, cars slowly pulls up close, I make eye contact, then the guy pulls a gun a shoots. It was a water gun, but my mind only processed that something was raised and fired. My fight or flight was triggered just the same. After ducking, the car took off and I ran it down at the light. The 20 year old kid was trying to impress some ladies in the car, but he also wouldn't step out of the car to have a talk about this.

Have you considered how police would have reacted to your own criminal acts of retribution alluded to above, had you been able to accomplish them? Or, say, your son’s in a moment of bad judgment? Or even “that guy” with a chip on his shoulder that prompts him go all manly-man at the slightest provocation? Or worse, how a pack of off-duty cops with a few drinks might respond?

rugbysecondrow
05-29-2015, 05:29 PM
Have you considered how police would have reacted to your own criminal acts of retribution alluded to above, had you been able to accomplish them? Or, say, your son’s in a moment of bad judgment? Or even “that guy” with a chip on his shoulder that prompts him go all manly-man at the slightest provocation? Or worse, how a pack of off-duty cops with a few drinks might respond?

You are enjoying quite the rabbit hole there, I am not taking that trip with you though. HAHA

I never committed a criminal act. Mine was but an invitation to finish the discussion with the young man. He opted out, which was fine. No harm, no foul, people move on about their day.

Some kids I knew growing up who used to drive around with people laying flat in pickup truck bed. They would jump up and shoot at people with water guns. Then, they started using paintball guns, they thought it was funny to scare people and shoot at hookers or homeless people. I can't help but think one good ass whooping might have put a stop to their actions. I doubt these jerks in Minn hop on their bikes and attack folks with water blasters and balloons again.

You might think it has to do with a chip on ones shoulder or going "manly man", whatever that means, but I think sometimes a good ass whooping is the best option. We aren't talking about slight provocations, we are talking about direct acts. Fortunately as adult men, we are rarely in that position, but I think the threat of violence helps maintain civility amongst people who might otherwise disrupt the order of things. Use the forum, the cloak of the internet, people can be jerks and say all sorts of outlandish things because they know there is no retribution. Those same words/actions at the grocery store, subway or elsewhere would end poorly for them. People get road rage because they can act out without direct retribution. People yell and curse at somebody who cuts them off with a car, but in a grocery store, with a cart, the person would just stay quiet and move on.

We aren't so evolved that the threat of violence is unimportant to greasing the day to day interactions of our society.

bironi
05-29-2015, 06:36 PM
Just a few points:

A group of cyclists from Olympia spent a weekend in Portland that included a beer wagon. We drank beer at about 5 different breweries in town. We all enjoyed the evening. The driver of the cart is not allowed to drink. Hey it is a money maker for Portland just as stupid and obnoxious as the Ride the Ducks business in Seattle.

The idea to attack the beer cart was idiotic.

The one policeman's overblown reaction did nothing for his department's PR.

Rarely do youtube videos reveal the full stories.

velomonkey
05-29-2015, 07:37 PM
You are enjoying quite the rabbit hole there, I am not taking that trip with you though. HAHA

I never committed a criminal act. Mine was but an invitation to finish the discussion with the young man. He opted out, which was fine. No harm, no foul, people move on about their day.

Direct quote from you "Take those bitches down, and make em hurt." - so just to be clear, you advocate for others to do violence. Got it.

So, to be clear, you use non-violence, but advocate for violence - the only rabbit hole is the logic you're using.

I will say, I understand the second half of your discussion that people threaten violence with no actual recourse. Still, I'm perplexed not using violence, but advocation that it's OK for others. Understanding why people do it is one thing, advocating for it is another.

I wouldn't riot, I don't advocate for it, but I understand why people might do it in certain circumstances - big distinction.

professerr
05-29-2015, 09:06 PM

Some kids I knew growing up who used to drive around with people laying flat in pickup truck bed. They would jump up and shoot at people with water guns. Then, they started using paintball guns, they thought it was funny to scare people and shoot at hookers or homeless people. I can't help but think one good ass whooping might have put a stop to their actions. I doubt these jerks in Minn hop on their bikes and attack folks with water blasters and balloons again.

You might think it has to do with a chip on ones shoulder or going "manly man", whatever that means, but I think sometimes a good ass whooping is the best option. We aren't talking about slight provocations, we are talking about direct acts. Fortunately as adult men, we are rarely in that position, but I think the threat of violence helps maintain civility amongst people who might otherwise disrupt the order of things. Use the forum, the cloak of the internet, people can be jerks and say all sorts of outlandish things because they know there is no retribution. Those same words/actions at the grocery store, subway or elsewhere would end poorly for them. People get road rage because they can act out without direct retribution. People yell and curse at somebody who cuts them off with a car, but in a grocery store, with a cart, the person would just stay quiet and move on.

We aren't so evolved that the threat of violence is unimportant to greasing the day to day interactions of our society.

My point is whether you considered how you, or others you exhort to violence, might fare with police if you, or they, actually acted in the criminal way you are advocating. Do you think the police will recognize and applaud you, or your admirers, for making good on “the threat of violence to help maintain civility”? Or perhaps the bad police elements, emboldened by guys who cavalierly applaud their of abuse of power when is directed at others, might turn and beat the s**t out of you, or your son, or your friend.

It isn’t a rabbit hole to reflect upon the consequences of one’s actions before taking (or advocating) them.

cinema
05-29-2015, 09:13 PM
my guess is someone in the group of merry pranksters had been hurt or nearly hit but the 'pedal pub' and wanted vigilante justice. still it sounds like a stupid thing (pedalpub) so who cares. i'll bet one of the cyclists had a legitimate beef to pick and knew cops/city would do nothing about their grievances

beeatnik
05-29-2015, 10:38 PM

rugbysecondrow
05-30-2015, 06:21 AM
I don't think those who were attacked acted criminally, so I disregard your basic premise. They reacted to a direct action, but did so in, what I would call, a tempered manner. If they beat the snot out of them, then that over reaction could cross the line, that is not what happened.

These jerks on bikes did this three times and did so expecting people to not react. They relied on people like you to ignore their behavior, allowing them to be emboldened.

I am a go along to get along guy, so I am not advocating thuggery or violence as "the" way of dispute resolution, but we also can't lie to ourselves and ignore it as an option even if rarely deployed. I will also add, I would cope much better with me getting hit with water, but if my wife were hit with a water balloon in the head, I would not cope very well.

My point is whether you considered how you, or others you exhort to violence, might fare with police if you, or they, actually acted in the criminal way you are advocating. Do you think the police will recognize and applaud you, or your admirers, for making good on “the threat of violence to help maintain civility”? Or perhaps the bad police elements, emboldened by guys who cavalierly applaud their of abuse of power when is directed at others, might turn and beat the s**t out of you, or your son, or your friend.

It isn’t a rabbit hole to reflect upon the consequences of one’s actions before taking (or advocating) them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noshaver
05-30-2015, 11:15 AM
They messed with the wrong guys. Are we still living in the middle ages? What a bunch of idiots. Why so much hate? This was still an attack regardless of what they were using.