PDA

View Full Version : Titanium Seatpost in Titanium Frame ???

DHallerman
05-26-2015, 02:38 PM
Because of galling or seizing or whatever the exact term, is it a dumb idea to install a titanium seatpost in a titanium frame?

I mean, normally, with an alloy seatpost in a titanium frame, I use copious amounts of Phil grease inside the seat tube and on the seatpost, and when I need to remove the post, all is good. And with a carbon seatpost in a titanium frame, I use that carbon paste, and again, removal is easy.

But if I were to install a ti seatpost in a ti frame, should I use lots of copper anti-seize? Or should I just skip the idea?

All real-life tales or expert insight with details appreciated here.

Dave, who is talking about a Chorus seatpost to be particular and who doesn't typically remove the seatpost every month or anything like that

sandyrs
05-26-2015, 02:40 PM
Many brands who manufacture high end titanium frames- Moots, Lynskey, Firefly, the list goes on- produce titanium seatposts that are frequently found on their frames. While I have never so much as owned a Ti frame, I cannot imagine this would be anything other than a fine idea, assuming you take care of the frame as you seem to already be doing with the current seatpost.

http://fireflybicycles.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/TiRoad26-004.jpg

https://cyclepathnw.com/wp-uploads/2013/09/Moots-Vamoots-SS-Dura-Ace-Di2.jpg

AngryScientist
05-26-2015, 02:45 PM
zero issues to worry about. stuck seatposts are the derived from corrosion, which swells the diameter of the seat tube or the post, causing the freeze up. ti is pretty immune to corrosion of any sort. use a light layer of grease and you're good to go!

muz
05-26-2015, 02:48 PM
zero issues to worry about. stuck seatposts are the derived from corrosion, which swells the diameter of the seat tube or the post, causing the freeze up. ti is pretty immune to corrosion of any sort. use a light layer of grease and you're good to go!

Actually ti is susceptible to galvanic corrosion, but this happens when metals with dissimilar potential are in contact. So no worries about ti seatpost in a ti frame.

fogrider
05-26-2015, 02:48 PM
I'm running a ti post in my Legend Ti without any problems...must be 5 or 6 years now. I do use anti-seize there but from my understanding, unit-seize is grease with metal particles. I would say, check it a few times a year and enjoy the ride.

Idris Icabod
05-26-2015, 03:03 PM
I've had a Moots Ti post in a Moots Ti frame for a little over 10 years. I use copper antiseize everytime I remove it but never had an issue.

oldpotatoe
05-26-2015, 03:06 PM
Because of galling or seizing or whatever the exact term, is it a dumb idea to install a titanium seatpost in a titanium frame?

I mean, normally, with an alloy seatpost in a titanium frame, I use copious amounts of Phil grease inside the seat tube and on the seatpost, and when I need to remove the post, all is good. And with a carbon seatpost in a titanium frame, I use that carbon paste, and again, removal is easy.

But if I were to install a ti seatpost in a ti frame, should I use lots of copper anti-seize? Or should I just skip the idea?

All real-life tales or expert insight with details appreciated here.

Dave, who is talking about a Chorus seatpost to be particular and who doesn't typically remove the seatpost every month or anything like that

See pic...about 5 years, use antisieze and I do take it out once per year and clean/reaaply.

veloduffer
05-26-2015, 04:18 PM
I've been using ti posts in ti bikes for years - anti-seize is your friend. :banana:

tuscanyswe
05-26-2015, 05:32 PM
I don't use anti seize on my ti posts. Still no issues at all. Id say they are the easiest posts to remove from the frames (perhaps due to ti posts have higher quality control of diameters or because of material, dunno but my alu or carbon posts seem to take a lot more effort to remove).

mktng
05-26-2015, 06:06 PM
Once a year!?

I take my seatpost out once a month :P just to clean and re-apply anti seize

muz
05-26-2015, 06:16 PM
Yes, anti-seize or grease is a really good idea for a ti seatpost. But you don't need it if the frame is also ti. It doesn't oxidize, and you can't have galvanic corrosion with ti on ti.

mgm777
05-26-2015, 10:10 PM
I could be wrong, but it was my understanding that several of the Ti bike makers, line their seat tubes with an inner plastic sleeve. I thought I read or heard that somewhere, but cannot verify. I own two Sevens and a Legend and have never had an issue. Like Peter, I remove, clean, and reinstall once per season.

happycampyer
05-26-2015, 10:40 PM
Here's some advice from a guy who know a thing or two about titanium posts and frames...

General Discussion—ti post and ti frame—single post (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=730209&postcount=16) from this thread (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=67272).

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've left ti posts in ti frames for well over a year and never had an issue.

Hepmike
05-27-2015, 01:21 AM
Here's some advice from a guy who know a thing or two about titanium posts and frames...

General Discussion—ti post and ti frame—single post (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=730209&postcount=16) from this thread (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=67272).

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've left ti posts in ti frames for well over a year and never had an issue.

Yup that's my scenario- Kent post in a moots frame for a year with only some light grease at initial install a year ago. Never removed, never cleaned or reapplied, never any slippage.

mcteague
05-27-2015, 06:05 AM
Just get a Seven, they use a composite liner to prevent this issue.:D

Tim

Black Dog
05-27-2015, 06:30 AM
Just get a Seven, they use a composite liner to prevent this issue.:D

Tim

I would suspect that they use a liner to step down the inner diameter of the seat tube to fit a standard post.

happycampyer
05-27-2015, 07:20 AM
I would suspect that they use a liner to step down the inner diameter of the seat tube to fit a standard post.This. I wonder what Moots is doing now that they have gone to oversized seat tubes in the Vamoots and CR models, which they show with 27.2mm seatposts.

tuscanyswe
05-27-2015, 09:13 AM
Yeah i had a 953 IF and it had the same sleeve in the st to bring the dia down to 27.2. Had nothing to do with avoiding stuck seatposts afaik. Funny thing was the sleeve came loose with a stuck seatpost.. IF was kind enough to send me a new sleeve with glue + tools tho. Not bad service..

Mikej
05-27-2015, 10:22 AM
This. I wonder what Moots is doing now that they have gone to oversized seat tubes in the Vamoots and CR models, which they show with 27.2mm seatposts.

MOOTS, ERIKSEN, POTTS use a thicker walled machined collar pressed in and welded at the top for the 27.2.

Tyler Evans
05-27-2015, 11:52 AM
Here at Firefly we use an e-glass insert to step down the ID to either 27.2mm or 30.9mm.

happycampyer
05-27-2015, 02:11 PM
Here at Firefly we use an e-glass insert to step down the ID to either 27.2mm or 30.9mm.Can't wait for mine!

rphetteplace
05-27-2015, 02:29 PM
I was talking to Mike DeSalvo yesterday about seatposts. He told me that there are so many variations in seatposts being undersized or oversized and that many aluminum and carbon seatpost will have fairly large variations over the length of the post. I'm definitely saving for a sweetpost right now.

Titanium
05-27-2015, 03:43 PM
I use a Campy Ti seatpost in a Steel Tommasini and just keep it well lubed with grease. Also a Litespeed Ti seatpost in my Ti Litespeed.So far so good:banana:

Tony T
05-27-2015, 05:13 PM
Never mind….