PDA

View Full Version : seatpost questions

Onno
04-24-2006, 09:13 PM
I've been playing with my Concours set-up to make it more time-trial friendly. I just figured out (duh) that I can turn my Thomson elite seatpost (the bent one--no complaints about the look please!) around to push the saddle forward, Cervelo style. That is, instead of bending back, it's now bending forward. Looks kind of cool, and on a short spin today, felt pretty good.

So, some questions:

1. Is this a good idea? Am I doing something Fredly?
2. Why does one need setback anyway? Is it primarily about stretching out the body, or is it about getting the butt back behind the bb.?
3. Is the Thomson setback about the same as other setback seatposts?

It's weird--I haven't touched the set up of my bike in ages. (If it ain't broke...) Now all of a sudden I feel as though I'm at the beginning of all kinds of experimentation!

Onno

04-25-2006, 12:35 AM
I can't answer all your questions, but, did you know that in bike races (not triathlons) the tip of the saddle has to be at least 5cm behind the center of the bottom bracket? Therefore, it probably is a bit 'Fredly' at a cycling club, but obviously not at a tri club. :)

You can get different setbacks with different brands and models. Some posts have zero setback, and theses look a bit less Fredly with a forward saddle position. :D

The question of being setback bothers me, too. Most 'experts' talk about weight balance, pelvic rotation, using the glutes and hamstrings more, etc, but, every super time-trialer and triathlete sits way forward. Some of the Euro pros sit so far forward during a time-trial that we can see 80% of the saddle!!! So, if I want to time-trial or concentrate on solo attacks, should I be further forward? :rolleyes:

I'm aware that some triathletes like to stay high to make the transition to the run easier, and time-trialing cyclists end up more forward due to the aero position, but still..........?? it bugs me. :) I've tried being set back, but I figure I lose power.

Onno
04-25-2006, 02:08 PM
I can't answer all your questions, but, did you know that in bike races (not triathlons) the tip of the saddle has to be at least 5cm behind the center of the bottom bracket? Therefore, it probably is a bit 'Fredly' at a cycling club, but obviously not at a tri club. :)

I didn't know about the 5cm rule. Why does this exist, if it does? Is this a matter of safety, or of arbitrary conformity.

Onno

04-25-2006, 02:33 PM
I didn't know about the 5cm rule. Why does this exist, if it does? Is this a matter of safety, or of arbitrary conformity I think, rather than anything else, it's more about keeping the bike looking like a "normal" bike, rather than the strange things we were getting a few years ago, such as the weird frame shapes and the 'superman' aero position, which was also outlawed