PDA

View Full Version : ot: dear college professor

yeehawfactor
04-24-2006, 06:05 PM
please give us more than 5 days notice for a 20 page research paper next time. k?thx. :crap:

update: so i show up for the last day of class yesterday. standard housekeeping affairs for the first few minutes. then the doc says "the following students are exempt from writing the final paper due to their high grades during the course of the term, and can leave now." he called my name. it's a seminar class so 25% is "thoughtful" participation, 50% is made up of these papers we write for each class based on readings, and 25% is the final. basically i figured out the first day that he didn't like to be confronted and kept my mouth shut, choosing to express dissent in a diluted and respectful way. weird. i've never been so excited to get an a, but at the same time i feel like Lorenzo Bernucci after his stage 6 win last year. ah well.

znfdl
04-24-2006, 06:19 PM
try 16 point with 2.5 line spacing......

PsyDoc
04-24-2006, 06:26 PM
Damn...Even I am not THAT evil, though my students might believe otherwise :D

dbrk
04-24-2006, 06:47 PM
Reading and grading those papers is...trust me...far, far worse than writing them. On May 8th I will get about 100 term papers, varying in length from six to fifteen pages. I will have fewer than five days to read, grade, and assign final grades. Literacy, I assure you, will be optional.

Jokin' aside, I give my assignments weeks and weeks in advance. I prohibit any use of the Internet or resources that I do not pre-approve because I am interested in seeing students apply the resources I have already assigned, make their own arguments, and draw their own conclusions.

dbrk

scrooge
04-24-2006, 07:39 PM
please give us more than 5 days notice for a 20 page research paper next time. k?thx. :crap:

I'm impressed that you would have started it more than five days in advance. Now, back to my paper...

Dr. Doofus
04-24-2006, 08:18 PM

Johny
04-24-2006, 08:19 PM

I dunno your professor is a forumite here. Maybe you can convince him/her the stem size is a far more important and interesting topic.

Hysbrian
04-24-2006, 09:47 PM

Don't even get me started. ATMO

yeehawfactor
04-27-2006, 11:08 PM
. :cool:

slowgoing
04-27-2006, 11:24 PM
Wait till you start working.

I'd love to have the luxury of five days to write a 20 page paper.

update: so i show up for the last day of class yesterday. standard housekeeping affairs for the first few minutes. then the doc says "the following students are exempt from writing the final paper due to their high grades during the course of the term, and can leave now." he called my name. it's a seminar class so 25% is "thoughtful" participation, 50% is made up of these papers we write for each class based on readings, and 25% is the final. basically i figured out the first day that he didn't like to be confronted and kept my mouth shut, choosing to express dissent in a diluted and respectful way. weird. i've never been so excited to get an a, but at the same time i feel like Lorenzo Bernucci after his stage 6 win last year. ah well.

znfdl
04-28-2006, 05:42 AM
slowgoing, you are so correct, I have worked through more nights than I ever did in college.

For example last September, two colleagues and I finished a 100 page technical research paper 3 days early. On Friday at 3pm our boss said that it needed to be split into 3 papers and had to be done by Monday. Well after a long, long weekend, we did it. Since we were talking about a paycheck, we just sucked it up and got the job done.

CarbonCycles
04-28-2006, 07:59 AM
slowgoing, you are so correct, I have worked through more nights than I ever did in college.

For example last September, two colleagues and I finished a 100 page technical research paper 3 days early. On Friday at 3pm our boss said that it needed to be split into 3 papers and had to be done by Monday. Well after a long, long weekend, we did it. Since we were talking about a paycheck, we just sucked it up and got the job done.

Why did I see scenes from Office Space flash by after I read this

Hysbrian
04-28-2006, 08:29 AM
http://www.yunasville.com/img/102005/milton.jpg

djg
04-28-2006, 01:05 PM
Reading and grading those papers is...trust me...far, far worse than writing them. On May 8th I will get about 100 term papers, varying in length from six to fifteen pages. I will have fewer than five days to read, grade, and assign final grades. Literacy, I assure you, will be optional.

dbrk

Sucker. Twenty-two papers today and that's it for the semester (and maybe quite a long while after that, as I'll not be teaching next year).

Six pages must be a purely formal paper--a nice elegant proof, right?