PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day thread

Bruce K
05-25-2015, 06:31 AM
Please take time today to remember the fallen and what they stood for.

Please take time to reflect on / think about those who currently serve.

But mostly, think about what today is meant to be - a time to reflect.

BK

soulspinner
05-25-2015, 07:13 AM
Every year I thank my dad for his service. Marine who saw combat in Korea. Stunned that every year he says Im the only one who thanks him.

velomonkey
05-25-2015, 07:18 AM
Me at my dad's headstone in Arlington National Cemetery.

rwsaunders
05-25-2015, 07:33 AM
Every year I thank my dad for his service. Marine who saw combat in Korea. Stunned that every year he says Im the only one who thanks him.

I have an 83yo Dad who had the same experience...Korean era Marine. He will be getting a call today and don't forget to call your Dad on 10 November and wish him a happy birthday. My Dad still considers that his official birthday even though it's actually 26 March. The Corps will always be a part of who he is.

oldpotatoe
05-25-2015, 07:43 AM
Me at my dad's headstone in Arlington National Cemetery.

Very touching..thanks for the picture.

bthornt
05-25-2015, 07:43 AM

My respect and thanks to him.

Matthew
05-25-2015, 02:04 PM
Velomonkey, great shot. Thanks to your father and all of those that have served and are serving today. God bless America!

Steve in SLO
05-25-2015, 03:12 PM
I feel lucky to have met a tremendous amount of great people while I was in the service. The special challenges of their chosen profession (separation, unpredictability, and danger to mention a few) are not easily understood by those who have not served. They deserve thanks from us all.

Kirk007
05-25-2015, 03:23 PM
My Dad was a Naval aircorp tail gunner and radioman in a PBY in the Pacific Theatre WWII; he passed 8 years ago. He refused to talk about the war. My father in law was Army infantry and was at the Battle of the Bulge. He refused to talk about what he went through. He now suffers from severe dementia - year 8 now - an awful way to go. My work colleague was a Navy Seal in Vietnam, and still serves his country working to protect our national parks and natural treasures. He is comfortable talking about his time in 'nam, one of few that I've met that is

Thanks men.

And thanks to my mom, whose health is failing and will someday soon rejoin her husband, and my mother-in-law who has already passed, and all the family members at home doing there part. Thank you

I was lucky, in my opinion, to just fall in the gaps, and didn't serve. I can't imagine what some of our fellow countrymen and women have experienced.

When I think of the past, the present and undoubtably the future, it is hard to comprehend all the loss of life around the globe, and thinking of the reasons why ....

Anyway, its one of the few days of the year that I make it a point to pull out my old Team Motorola kit & bike and ride in red, white and blue.

spiderman
05-25-2015, 06:52 PM
I led a medical team into the bihac pocket
In war torn Bosnia...UN peacekeeper in the
US Navy with fleet hospital 5. Today my dad
Would've turned 88. He was also active duty Navy
And is buried in the national cemetery
Near Sturgis, South Dakota.

Mikej
05-25-2015, 07:15 PM

You know what? I'm a vet and experience the same thing- nobody ever mentions anything ever. In 18 years at the same job nobody has ever said anything. While I feel Memorial Day is for those who gave their lives in the line of duty, there is still armed forces day and Veterans Day also-

But thanks to all who signed on the line without fully realizing what it could mean ( in my experience, anyway) and especially to those who made the ultimate sacrifice

efaust_o
05-25-2015, 07:22 PM
Today, on a holiday group ride the splintered group I was in passed a lone rider wearing a Marine Corps cycling jersey. As we passed, I took a minute to slow down. I ask him if he was a Marine, he replied yes. I replied, Thank you for your service. I think he nearly fell off his bike. He replied thanks, with a smile:)

unterhausen
05-25-2015, 07:26 PM
But thanks to all who signed on the line without fully realizing what it could mean
how many aerospace engineers get sent to a war zone? sheesh. In fact, my boss told me there was no way I was going the day before I got put on 1 hour recall to go.

But I agree, thanks to everyone that went to war for us, especially the Marines.

Bruce K
05-25-2015, 07:59 PM
Spent today watching Skyrider lead his CAP cadets in the Nashua, NH Memorial Day parade

Then visited family gravesites

Placed a flag at my father's grave (D Day +4 - Redball Express in WWII)

Also placed one at my uncle's grave (USN doctor in WWII)

My uncle (USMC - WWII pacific campaign)

Last stop my father in law for 1 more (US Army in WWII)

Not sure how they were missed among the many flags but glad to do it

Also stopped at Boston Common to see the 9000 flags representing every MA soldier who gave their lives from the Revolution until now

Very moving day

BK