PDA

View Full Version : Socks for cycling/running

cmbicycles
05-24-2015, 09:36 PM
I have been dwindling down my drawer of athletic socks that either no longer fit (shrunk), or have more holes than they have material. I'm looking for socks that must be good for both cycling and running, just a simple 1/4 length.

Problem I have with a lot of my socks is that while they start out fine, after a while many shrink too much and feel tight from heel to toe (sz 14 shoes). My size puts me just on the cusp of not fitting most "bulk" packaged socks at the stores around me. I've had DeFeet aerator socks that have held up well over time, some PI that are newer and doing ok, and many other misc. "bike branded" that have all shrunk.

So since there are lots of people here with feet, any recommendations for other socks I should check out?

Louis
05-24-2015, 09:52 PM
I think your first decision has to be on material (i.e. wool vs plastic) then on thickness, and finally on "generic-looking" vs "nifty designs." IMO / IME (experience) all of those are personal choices - there's no single best answer.

(Given the time of year, I'm assuming we're talking warmish or hot weather socks.)

likebikes
05-24-2015, 09:55 PM
www.darntough.com

If they EVER get a hole or wear out they'll send you a new pair for free.

jmoore
05-25-2015, 08:12 AM
see if longscycle.com has anything in your size. I have bought lots of socks from them. They are so cheap it makes it easy to toss them .

jlwdm
05-25-2015, 08:12 AM
Most cycling socks are not big enough for large feet. My feet are not as big as yours, size 12 shoe, but I have had good luck with Castelli Rosso Corsa. They come in a size 2XL.

Jeff

guido
05-25-2015, 08:29 AM
Smartwool

Daveyk
05-25-2015, 08:46 AM
Darntough and Balega

FlashUNC
05-25-2015, 09:15 AM
Swiftwick

giordana93
05-25-2015, 09:23 AM
Defeet. Good experience with longscycle here too.

frank_h
05-25-2015, 09:26 AM
I've recently made the switch over from a "general" athletic sock to a dedicated cycling sock.

I chose DeFeet and have been very happy. Locally owned and produced (NC), outlet section on the site regularly has them for $5/pair, and a range of materials to suit your needs.

I like to go thin so that I can have a fixed shoe fit and then alter warmth by adding exterior coverage (oversocks, overshoes, etc). This gives me a consistent fit throughout the year and avoid hotspots, blisters, etc.

One tip for shrinking and helping longevity: Wash on cold with your other cycling gear and let them line dry!

Vientomas
05-25-2015, 10:44 AM
Defeet.

Plus, I recently purchased this and have been quite satisfied: https://www.thorlo.com/socks/xcmu/066

EDS
05-25-2015, 10:47 AM
I have been dwindling down my athletic sock drawer of late and pitching the old socks that either no longer fit (shrunk), or have more holes than they have material. I'm looking for socks that must be good for both cycling and running, just a simple 1/4 length.

Problem I have with a lot of my socks is that while they start out fine, after a while many shrink too much and feel tight from heel to toe (sz 14 shoes). My size puts me just on the cusp of not fitting most "bulk" packaged socks at the stores around me. I've had DeFeet aerator socks that have held up well over time, some PI that are newer and doing ok, and many other misc. "bike branded" that have all shrunk.

So since there are lots of people here with feet, any recommendations for other socks I should check out?

This likely comes down to personal preference, but I have very different tastes in running socks versus cycling socks. For cycling I do not want anything to thick but can otherwise wear just about anything, though mostly has been Hincapie because they come with my team kit. For running, I need something thicker and always go back to Thorlos (they worked in college and they worked best for me as part of my marathon training last year).

cmbicycles
05-25-2015, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the replies, I'll check out some of those sites/companies mentioned.
I'm primarily looking for warm weather socks, which has usually been coolmax or similar synthetic. I usually wear the same socks for running and cycling, nothing too thick for either. Anyone find that the thinner wool socks to do well for warm weather?

572cv
05-25-2015, 11:49 AM
A partisan note in favor of Darntough. They really are a very good sock. Years of experience with them, always my choice for comfort and fit.

seanile
05-25-2015, 12:07 PM
swiftwick

+1

veggieburger
05-25-2015, 12:37 PM
I like Tekos.

Defeet are now junk, IMO. They used to be great (still wearing a pair I bought 7 or 8 years ago), but the newer iterations come undone at the top EVERY TIME.

blessthismess
05-25-2015, 12:58 PM
A partisan note in favor of Darntough. They really are a very good sock. Years of experience with them, always my choice for comfort and fit.

Biggest problem with wool blends is they seem to wear out super fast. My sister got me a pair of Darntough socks for Xmas. Great pair of thin wool socks. I love their guarantee and the fact that they are USA made. I didn't realize the made cycling socks too, I'll have to check em out.

Peter P.
05-25-2015, 12:58 PM
I buy my socks from Longscycle.com (http://www.longscycle.com/) because they have good deals. You may not get the style you want but they're brand name. I think you'll find DeFeet and SockGuy socks among their choices.

I am actually surprised at how long these brand name socks last. They outlast my hiking socks and street socks. I usually blow a hole in the big toe area but I can't kill any of them. I don't experience any shrinkage, either.

Your problems with socks lasting is likely due to the size you wear. Try searching for appropriately sized socks and don't settle for anything less.

Steve in SLO
05-25-2015, 03:07 PM
Hey Peter P. Thanks for linking longscycle.com. I just ordered up two bundles of socks – cool deal!

quattro
05-25-2015, 04:20 PM
Darntough and Balega

Balega Pro Racer 3 Quarter Crew sock, best cycling sock I have ever worn!
http://www.balega.com/our-product/second-skin-fit

jischr
05-25-2015, 04:54 PM
I like Thorlo walking socks, regular crew and mini crew. The crew is my everyday sock and after work I just fold the crew down into a half crew and ride. In everyday use they last maybe 3 years. The mini-crew which is only running and riding have last 7-8 years. Best of all they come in black and white, without the dumb-ass stripes and colors other socks come in.
My experience with wool blends is high wear rates. Maybe its me but I've never had a Smartwool last out a year. My REI wool blends wear at the Achilles tendon.

HenryA
05-25-2015, 07:27 PM
I like these for cool weather:

http://www.icebreaker.com/en/mens-socks/mens-hike%2B-lite-mini/100327.html?cts=J40|201|001&dwvar_100327_color=201

Pretty expensive, but very nice.

For hot weather I'll look at some of the suggestions here. I have a bunch of old raggedy socks and its about time for some new ones.

Porschefan
05-25-2015, 07:40 PM
I'm a big fan of Darn Tough socks, but have always used them for hiking. I checked the website, and sure 'nuf, they make some cycling socks too. I like the look of these in white/red (http://darntough.com/men/mens-bike/herringbone-micro-crew-ultralight). I think I'll try a pair. Their hiking socks are darn-near indestructible in my experience and they have a lifetime guarantee to boot (no puns intended).

Lots of other great socks and deals in the thread, for sure.

STP

russ46
05-26-2015, 11:51 AM
I have a mix of Darn Tough & Smart Wool cycling socks. Both are good but I give an edge to Darn Tough for the long run. I think they're less prone to piling. I also think they last a little longer but have nothing to base it on.

Alan
05-26-2015, 11:58 AM
I only ride wool socks all year around. You can get them on sale from Sierra Trading Post on a good day. Last time I bought 10 pair of Smartwool cycling socks and they last a long time. You can also buy womens sizes as they are more available than mens.

Sierra Trading Post is a good deal if they have Smartwool in stock.

Alan

DRZRM
05-26-2015, 12:41 PM
Size 13 shoe, I have Swiftwick, Smartwool and Darntough and like them all. The lifetime warrantee on the Darntough (and it is serious, they happily replace them for any reason short of loss) make them my first choice.

deechee
05-26-2015, 01:31 PM
Swifwick Aspires. Their wool socks are great too, although I will freely admit I don't ride much in the cold.

4Rings6Stars
05-26-2015, 01:46 PM
Swifwick Aspires. Their wool socks are great too, although I will freely admit I don't ride much in the cold.

I wear wool socks year round... thin during the summer, thick in winter. I think they shine best in the warm weather, actually.

bagochips3
05-26-2015, 01:50 PM
Another Darn Tough recommendation. SmartWool cycling socks have been good to me, but lately I prefer Darn Tough for their warranty.

Another brand I like that hasn't been mentioned yet: Point6 (www.point6.com (http://www.point6.com/)). Started by the same folks who started SmartWool.

jlwdm
05-26-2015, 02:50 PM
Longscycle.com

You guys really buy assorted length socks in assorted unknown styles?

What is this world coming to?

Jeff

Steve in SLO
05-26-2015, 03:23 PM
Longscycle.com

You guys really buy assorted length socks in assorted unknown styles?

What is this world coming to?

Jeff

There is a statement on the website that you can email in your preferences for those bundles of socks and they would try and follow them. I did just that, and we will see how it goes.
Maybe the world is coming to customer service?

Steve in SLO
05-26-2015, 03:26 PM
BTW: just got this email from longscycle:
Steve,

Made the note on your order - Thank you!
Should have all the orders out by tomorrow.

Ashley

classtimesailer
05-26-2015, 03:31 PM
SWIFTWICK
received 5 pairs 3 years ago as a gift and they have been in the weekly rotation. I put holes in the toes of all other brands.

Raffy
05-26-2015, 03:58 PM
Swiftwick fan here too. I have several pairs but I think the most cycling appropriate is the Aspire series. I have a pair of another series (the name escapes me) that is slightly thicker and I feel the difference - the thinner Aspires don't bunch up and are therefore more comfortable, at least for me.

I'm in the minority on this but I had some Smartwool socks a few years ago and I hated them. Constantly bunching up and I didn't care for the texture. I don't really get the wool craze for cycling - I still think that synthetics possess superior attributes.

SoCalSteve
05-26-2015, 04:15 PM
Been using Capo Forma socks for probably 10 years ( not the same pair) and they are great!

Porschefan
05-26-2015, 05:55 PM
Been using Capo Forma socks for probably 10 years ( not the same pair) and they are great!

Glad to hear it! :)

STP

brockd15
05-26-2015, 06:00 PM

Glad to hear it! :)

STP

I have a pair of Thorlos I bought in mid-2003 for an Ironman race that are still near-perfect. No shrinking, no holes, etc....nice!

daker13
05-26-2015, 07:46 PM
I do like wool socks year round, but I've come to the conclusion that Smartwool socks are really over-rated. The last bunch I bought lasted way shorter than they should've, especially considering the cost (Sierra Trading, but still pricey).

REI socks have held up well; I have a half dozen pairs coming in the mail.

blessthismess
05-26-2015, 08:50 PM
I've had terrible experience with Smartwool, they lose elasticity and end up with holes in the toes or heel after a month or two, I will not buy them anymore. Somehow I always end up getting them as gifts. I love REI though.

jmoore
05-26-2015, 09:49 PM
I have ordered a bunch of socks from Longscycle.com. Their customer service is very good.

A couple of times I put in an order for 3 pair and they sent me 6 with a note that said something like "your order of 3 pair was close the same price as the 6 pair grabbag, so we made up the difference." Good stuff.

And if you are ever in need of an ugly jersey, they got plenty of those as well :)

Walter
05-26-2015, 10:05 PM
Sock Guy for me. My wife swears by Balega (and often at me).

TimAZ
05-28-2015, 07:44 PM
Swiftwick hands down bar none. The 7" socks in the perforamnce, or Aspire line I forget it's been so long since I've had to purchase new ones. will not let you down.