PDA

View Full Version : Cassette problem

2LeftCleats
04-24-2006, 04:57 PM
I'm in need of some advice from those mechanically inclined on the forum. I have a Dura Ace 10 setup and decided to change out my 12-27 cassette for an 11-23. I opted for the much cheaper Ultegra version, which is supposed to be compatible. I also put on a new chain (10 speed). Everything looked good on the repair stand: shifts smoothly up and down, doesn't want to hop off the intended cog, etc. Then I took it out for a test ride. Works nice and smooth with seated peddling, but when I stand and put some leg into it while in the 11, 12, 13 tooth cogs, the chain slips every 3-4 pedal strokes. It didn't do this with the old cassette, so I don't think the chainring is tilting. I assume I just need to fiddle with the barrel adjuster until it goes away, but does anybody know why this happens and if there's any way to expedite the trial and error process of adjustment, so that if it shifts fine on the repair stand, it does so under stress?

mdeeds71
04-24-2006, 05:22 PM
I had this happen to me and my connex link was upside down and causing this.

Smiley
04-24-2006, 05:38 PM
Did you change the chain along with the cassette ? If not do so . Also check the lock ring and make sure its is better then snuged up too. I assume your using a 10 speed DA hub if not did you start out by installing the spacer that needs to be there for a 9 speed hub using a 10 speed cassette ? More questions then answers so far .

2LeftCleats
04-24-2006, 06:19 PM
new 10sp Wipperman chain. I'll try reversing the connector--didn't realize it could be put on backward or upside down. It's mounted on Ksyrium hub with the spacer. Thanks for the quick advice.

Grant McLean
04-24-2006, 07:41 PM
new 10sp Wipperman chain. I'll try reversing the connector--didn't realize it could be put on backward or upside down. It's mounted on Ksyrium hub with the spacer. Thanks for the quick advice.

sounds like the connector. our shop got all our cervelo soloists in last year
with the chains installed upside down... took a little while to figure out what
the heck was going on the first time!

g

2LeftCleats
04-27-2006, 04:56 PM
I finally got time to deal with it. As suspected by a couple of you, the connector was the problem--upside down. Actually, I was the problem. It's always embarassing to find the answer in the unread directions found in the trash. Thanks for the help!

Serotta PETE
04-27-2006, 06:53 PM
also insure that you are using the 11 tooth lock ring from new ULTEGRA (and not the 12 tooth lock ring. I made that mistake but the ace wrench (aka SPOKES) found the problem is short order along with PHIL's assistance.