PDA

View Full Version : ZIPP Stem SL, beyond Black Bolt size?

Shortsocks
05-24-2015, 01:50 PM
Hey folks.

Quick question for you guys/gals out there who have replaced the Zipp Stem SL bolts. Can you tell me which Bolt size I need to buy to replace the ones that come with the stem? (Not wanting to carry around a Torq piece with me everywhere, I prefer the normal hex bolts)

I don't know the right size length, or screw degree...any help would be appreciated. I need all 6.

Thanks

TimAZ
05-24-2015, 02:00 PM
Not that this is a answer, but call Sram's tech support. They have helped me figure out the hard questions. 1-312-664-8800

nate2351
05-24-2015, 02:02 PM
M5 around 15mm

eddief
05-24-2015, 02:36 PM
to quit screwing around with stuff that works and stop using those dumb torx bolts anywhere on the bike. Every other bolt on my bike was hex until I bought that stem. Fortunately the stem did not create the correct fit and I got to replace it with the Neanderthal hex-bolted Thomson.

Beautiful stem though.

Not that this is a answer, but call Sram's tech support. They have helped me figure out the hard questions. 1-312-664-8800

Shortsocks
05-24-2015, 03:19 PM
to quit screwing around with stuff that works and stop using those dumb torx bolts anywhere on the bike. Every other bolt on my bike was hex until I bought that stem. Fortunately the stem did not create the correct fit and I got to replace it with the Neanderthal hex-bolted Thomson.

Beautiful stem though.

Seriously right? I can't stand it. I'm sure there are many reasons for them using the Torx screws, but it just irritates me. Hex works, works fine. I'll call Support on Tuesday, and talk to them.

RobJ
05-24-2015, 04:03 PM

Beautiful stem though.

Must not be running anything Campy.....

eddief
05-24-2015, 04:06 PM
yes, seriously.

Seriously right? I can't stand it. I'm sure there are many reasons for them using the Torx screws, but it just irritates me. Hex works, works fine. I'll call Support on Tuesday, and talk to them.

oldpotatoe
05-25-2015, 08:09 AM

Beautiful stem though.

Not trying to justify or defend any manufacturer but Torx is the best solution for bolts that are aluminum. Particularly small diameter ones. Lots of aluminum bolts on all 3 makers stuff..and most if not all, are Torx. Steel bolts that are Torx is actually quite rare on bike stuff.

If you want to 'stop' anything, I'd say stop using soft aluminum for bolts..and use steel. Heavier but not 'heavy'. BUT the marketeers whince when you say, 'steel'...

MoonJW
05-29-2015, 08:11 PM

Did you manage to get an answer from them? Just curious.

noshaver
05-30-2015, 11:01 AM
I have one. It's a M5 x 18mm long...