PDA

View Full Version : alpha q fork inserts

vqdriver
05-24-2015, 11:51 AM
i have a used cx20 fork. insert is the type with a flanged top to keep it from sliding thru. star nut is installed.
this fork is too long for me and i want to cut about 4-5cm off the top and get away from the insert by simply using an expander plug. but googling around there is mention of the steerer tube carbon being very thin. so the insert provides purchase to the star nut as well as being necessary to support the stem clamp area. so by that i am take it that expander plugs are a no no?

how true is this? if i trim the steerer tube does that mean i must use another insert to support the stem?

fyi, this steerer is very long. i could perhaps lop off more than 5cm to remove the entire length of the insert, but i can't get away with trimming just a cm or so.

happycampyer
05-24-2015, 12:31 PM
The Alpha-Q steerer tubes were not designed to work with an expander plug. The aluminum sleeve provided structural support, and there were even issues (steerer shearing off) if the aluminum sleeve did not extend below the upper headset race. You may be able to track down a NOS aluminum sleeve, or could probably have one made. Corner Cycle on Cape Cod sells an aftermarket sleeve, but I don't think that it comes in a diameter that will fit the Alpha-Q forks.

unterhausen
05-24-2015, 02:51 PM
I have an alpha Q with the reinforcement glued in. I've thought about cutting it out and putting the off-cut on the lathe to remove the carbon. Probably will do that eventually unless I can find a suitable sub. Or maybe it would be easier just to make one, dunno

RudAwkning
05-24-2015, 03:16 PM
I might have some of these sleeves lying around. Not sure which steerer they were for. I believe Alpha Q had 3 or 4 different ID's for their various steerers. What's the ID of the fork you have?

RudAwkning
05-24-2015, 03:18 PM
FYI, I've been able to remove these inserts by stacking spacers and using the top cap and bolt to extract. Just keep adding spacers as the insert rises. Will depend on the quality of epoxy used to initially bond the insert.

thwart
05-24-2015, 03:55 PM
FYI, I've been able to remove these inserts by stacking spacers and using the top cap and bolt to extract. Just keep adding spacers as the insert rises. Will depend on the quality of epoxy used to initially bond the insert.

My experience as well. And I used the Alpha-Q epoxy and followed their directions carefully.

Made snugging down the HS a little more difficult than it needed to be...

Suspect there's a good chance you'll be able to avoid cutting the insert.

cmg
05-24-2015, 05:07 PM
the goal of the insert is for the bottom of it to be below the top bearing of the headset otherwise it will provide very little structural support. So if you cut it off get another sleeve and make sure it's below the top bearing.

vqdriver
05-24-2015, 09:00 PM
I might have some of these sleeves lying around. Not sure which steerer they were for. I believe Alpha Q had 3 or 4 different ID's for their various steerers. What's the ID of the fork you have?

That would be awesome
Unfortunately the top lip of the existing insert makes it impossible to.measure the carbon.

vqdriver
05-24-2015, 09:00 PM

Thats a good idea. Ill give it a shot.

vqdriver
05-24-2015, 09:38 PM
Ok. Just gave it a go and no luck. Felt like it was actually moving but a progress check revealed that the star nut itself was deforming. Like a belly button going from an inny to an outy.

Any other ideas to remove it? First option is still to to buy a replacement since the steerer is so long.

Here it is. Dont mind the dirty.

vqdriver
05-24-2015, 09:42 PM
BTW what looks like a gap forming betwwen the top flange of the insert and the fork was there already. Looks like the previous owner tried prying it off. :rolleyes:

Hank Scorpio
05-25-2015, 04:43 AM
This might be a stupid question but you did loosen the stem clamp bolts before you tried the spacer method right?

vqdriver
05-25-2015, 11:32 AM
Lol. Yes. But shouldnt have made a difference.

vqdriver
05-25-2015, 12:59 PM
so let me ask this.

i know geekhouse and moots used to spec these forks on their cross bikes in the past. i've already sent them emails to see if they happen to have a spare insert. who else used these forks on their frames that i could reach out to?

fwiw, i spoke to my local shop who suggested i try a cervelo insert. but a call to them (surprised they were in the shop today) revealed that their steerer tubes are a different inner diameter. their insert would nearly slide right thru an alpha q steerer. apparently mine was not the first phone call regarding this....

RudAwkning
05-26-2015, 10:40 AM
Found 'em. PM me.