PDA

View Full Version : a question of curiosity for DBRK

bironi
04-24-2006, 03:21 PM
Douglas,

How many bikes from your large collection are ready to pull out, pump the tires, lube the chain, and ride? I was just curious how many you might ride during the course of a season.

Thanks,
Byron

dbrk
04-24-2006, 04:34 PM
I have only three bikes that are more than a pump away from the road: my 1966 Schwinn Fleet (purchased for my 9th birthday by my Dad, it's a tank bike with a working horn! It actually only needs air but it's not really for riding anymore. Rebuilt the Bendix kickback two-speed about ten years back...maarone...), my 1972 Mondia (purchased by me new all those years ago), and a 1994 Bstone RB-2 which only needs a few bits.

I try to keep everything ready to roll. A few don't really go out but for the best of the best days, like the perfectly restored 1963 Rene Herse Federale, the 1959 Herse 650B, and the Nagasawa Fixed, but all the rest are for riding.

I think we'll have at least half a dozen folks at this year's Ramble on one or another of my bikes. 'Should be fine. There are about 50 or so. Don't ask how it got like this. Fewer moderns than ever, more classics.

My dear pal Dr. Cotcamp only kept about a dozen of his bikes in riding order, the rest were frames and he was always building and taking them down. I prefer to see them all together, as bikes.

dbrk

bironi
04-24-2006, 04:38 PM
It must be interesting making a choice on a choice day. It sounds like a wonderful candy store.

Byron

yeehawfactor
04-24-2006, 04:41 PM
imho it must be like listening to music-you may have 100 cds and 50 records but you just know what you want to hear at that moment.

dbrk
04-24-2006, 04:57 PM
imho it must be like listening to music-you may have 100 cds and 50 records but you just know what you want to hear at that moment.

This is an excellent analogy because I love all sorts of music and just like there are many kinds of music, so there are many kinds of bicycles and very different ways to enjoy them. I would no more cast off my Pegoretti and throw out my Weather Report collection than I would sell off the Mariposas and never listen to Corelli again. I'm often asked which _one_ bike I would choose but that would like having to choose Mozart and never listen again to the Stones. It's also true that I have certain tastes and that I'm not aiming for one of "everything." We all like what we like. I like Herse, Singer, Rivendell, Serotta, Mariposa, Pegoretti, Nagasawa, Sachs, Goodrich, Kirk, Hampsten/Tournesol, Bridgestone, and DeRosa to have more than one. I have long given up being ashamed or embarrassed. I'm just lucky and happy and I love when other folks ride my bikes and enjoy themselves.

dbrk

Keith A
04-24-2006, 05:02 PM
And Mrs. B says it is all good, as long as his diverse tastes are limited to bikes and music :D