PDA

View Full Version : murex or Salsa

shinomaster
03-23-2004, 12:40 AM
I need a new quill stem for my Serotta. Yes I still plan on riding my Green Beauty and I think a shorter stem will make me like it more. I hate the crappy TTT synthisis it has now so I'm looking at the cool new salsa stems and the Murex by Deda. I don't want a noodle but I dont want a brick either..What do y'all think??

:banana: :banana:

jerk
03-23-2004, 12:47 AM
the murex is flexy as all heck but might be ok in the shorter length you want....get the salsa or get a nitto pearl.
jerk

dnovo
03-23-2004, 06:15 AM
NItto Pearl. Excellent quality, stiffness and finish. Comes in sizes ranging from 60 to 140 and available through several sources, including Jintesha in SF. Dave N. (See the stem on my Hors Cat road in the Image Gallery. That's a Pearl.)

dbrk
03-23-2004, 06:53 AM
I've used the Murex twice and that is twice too many times. Even I think this is flexy, leaving aside that it is also ugly. The Salsa stems are functional but not beautiful with those welds. Why do they have to weld them? The design is peachy. dnovo and jerk have it right: Nitto Pearl is the nicest quill stem ever made, nicer even than the Cinellis of yore. 'Tis the best and worst of times: there is only one _great_ choice here, imho, but it is the best choice ever. The Technomic is nearly as nice and you can usually bury the quill, no problem on a bike taller than 53 or 54, so it looks like a Pearl. Finish is not quite as nice but eh...not really "worse".

Nitto makes the very best. Not Nestle.

dbrk

kenyee
03-23-2004, 08:19 AM
not sure if you're looking for one w/ a face clamp, but the front has a clamp on top so you rest most of your weight on the stem instead of the clamp or the screws...