PDA

View Full Version : ergo rebuild w/cable attached?

WSBA Jr.
05-23-2015, 11:27 AM
I have a Record 10 speed set ready for rebuild, with help from the teenage racer. I have these mounted on a new frame which was prototype built for Di2. We installed a nice set of Record 10 to test the bike, and if we liked it, race it with the Campy for a while.

The bike is outstanding, but the internal cabling was very difficult. I would like to try to leave the cables in place, just loosened at derailleurs and brakes. Particularly on the right shifter, have any of you rebuilders installed new bits with cables still in place?

We have rebuilt two Chorus 10's and a Centaur 10. Thanks for the input in advance!

nate2351
05-23-2015, 04:08 PM
The lever needs to come off the bar. Run some plastic liner along the cable from the derailleur through the frame. Then when you're done run the cable back through and remove the liner.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/300683933910-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

thirdgenbird
05-23-2015, 04:17 PM
Cable liner is the answer here.

Mark McM
05-26-2015, 12:46 PM
I've done twice for friends of mine, but it is a pain in the butt. In both cases, it was done while we were sitting on the tailgate of a truck in a parking lot. As mentioned, the shifter has to come off the bars, but the cables do not have to be removed from the shifter. Since there isn't as much flexibility in holding the lever body, it required two sets of hands to perform the operations - since I was doing the work on fiends bikes (and said friends needed the bikes back into service as soon as possible), we had two sets of hands to work on them.

fogrider
05-26-2015, 02:59 PM
I'm a little unclear what the issue is. cables always need to be replaced if you are moving shifters, but if the cable housing is in good shape it can be reused. if the routing is difficult, I've seen someone use a vacuum to suck a string through and then used to feed the cable housing. good luck!!

WSBA Jr.
05-28-2015, 02:56 AM
Some added explanation and results. We built this bike up last fall, having to drill some added holes for cables. For test rides, we used new cables, didn't have enough parts to rebuild shifters at the time, so installed them as they were... worn out! The cabling was very difficult, with some of the areas having specific molded pathways next to each other, so wanted to look at the g-spring carrier before removing cables.

It is possible, as mentioned in a previous response to my query, to take things apart and replace most parts without removing the cable. The carrier looked very nice, so we left it attached to the cable, changed springs and other bits, reassembled, and hit the road for high speed tests today. Love that crisp click! The bike is a rocket, time to race it next week. We postponed for another time doing the fishing expedition with cables, since they are new.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

ultraman6970
05-28-2015, 06:15 AM
Oh you did it... never occur to me to leave the cable spooler hanging from the cable... good it can be done.

oldpotatoe
05-28-2015, 06:19 AM
Oh you did it... never occur to me to leave the cable spooler hanging from the cable... good it can be done.

Hellofalot easier with the cable out, particularly winding the watch spring, since shifting to the 'lowest' gear position is pretty much essential.