PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo Experts--ID this 8 speed rear?

paredown
05-22-2015, 11:01 AM
I wanted to spoke up a matcher, thought I had a front hub and found that I don't.

Can anyone tell me what I'm looking at? Not sure if it is clear enough in the photos, but it has 'Campagnolo' Brev etc written around the center of the hub barrel.

Cheers,
dean

m_sasso
05-22-2015, 11:18 AM
1995 - 1996 EXA Drive Chorus/Athena? Should be a band not engraved. I believe the matching front from those years did not have the matched band just the winged crest logo.

jtakeda
05-22-2015, 11:52 AM
^^^

Thats what I was gonna say. Front hub doesn't have the band just the crest.

oldpotatoe
05-22-2015, 12:02 PM
^^^

Thats what I was gonna say. Front hub doesn't have the band just the crest.

Probably Athena, 1995/6/7 ish. Only way to really tell is check axle, to measure fat part height. Athena one taller.

paredown
05-22-2015, 01:49 PM
Thanks all--it is definitely engraved around the hub barrel.

I see a set on the 'Bay from Pro's Closet (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Campagnolo-Athena-Road-Bike-Hub-Set-100-130mm-32-36-Hole-Exa-Drive-8S-/351403982776?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51d14f3fb8) that they are calling Athena--it also has the engraving around the hub on the rear, but the front has the engraved band. Does that seem likely--or is the front that matches mine the one with the Campy logo engraved parallel to the axle??

oliver1850
05-22-2015, 10:48 PM
That looks like an Athena or Veloce rear with a Chorus front, and 1996 Chorus skewers.

Front hubs weren't pictured in the mid 90s catalogs.

I think I still have a couple of NOS Athena front hubs that say "Athena" near the shield. I'd guess they are 1995/6, as 1995 was the first year the group name appeared on most parts, though not on any of the rear hubs to my knowledge. Some boxes were marked with a round model year sticker, others were not. I have a built wheel with a 28 hole Athena hub that I still have the box for. If it has the model year on it I may be able to tell you what one year of Athena front hub looks like.

thirdgenbird
05-22-2015, 11:12 PM
My Athena front has the shield and no groupset name. I bought it NIB with skewer and know it's Athena. I believe it is a 1997, but I can't remember for sure.

Interesting note, it's 28h and I still have the box as well.

oliver1850
05-22-2015, 11:32 PM
I found the box for my 28, it's a 1998. Couldn't find the wheel though. Can't remember if that hub had Athena engraved or not. The ones I have that are engraved with the model aren't in the original boxes, so I'm unsure of the year. The wheel is here somewhere...

oldpotatoe
05-23-2015, 06:16 AM
Thanks all--it is definitely engraved around the hub barrel.

I see a set on the 'Bay from Pro's Closet (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Campagnolo-Athena-Road-Bike-Hub-Set-100-130mm-32-36-Hole-Exa-Drive-8S-/351403982776?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51d14f3fb8) that they are calling Athena--it also has the engraving around the hub on the rear, but the front has the engraved band. Does that seem likely--or is the front that matches mine the one with the Campy logo engraved parallel to the axle??

The pictured front looks like CDA..bulge in the middle but w/o the little 'hub caps'..No such animal as CDA rear..as a cassette..Record-Chorus when CDA was for 7s freewheels. Could be Chorus, the one from PC.

oliver1850
05-23-2015, 11:41 AM
Here's a couple of Athena fronts. They are exactly the same as far as I can tell except for the Athena engraving on one. This style skewer was used from 1996-1997. The earlier skewer had a round nut with a narrow knurled band. The 1998-1999 skewer had the grey plastic nut that was used on Daytona, Centaur, and Proton. Since 3rdbird says his 1997 hub lacks the group name, my best guess is that the one I have with Athena engraving is a 1996. I think the 1995 hub is the same except for the skewer nut. The 1994 and earlier hubs are not as highly polished, and the rears lack the engraved band. 1995/6 Mirage rear hubs also had the engraved band. The 1995 Mirage is less polished, you can see the machining marks in the hub shell. 1997 Mirage lacked the engraved band, I think 1998 was the same.

If you have the skewer for your rear hub it might help narrow down the year and whether it's Mirage, Veloce or Athena. Lacking that, I'd just find a 1996 Mirage, or 1995-1997 Veloce or Athena front and a matching rear skewer. Early Chorus hubs (without the grease port) would also be a good match. I didn't check the parts lists, but they look virtually identical to later Athena. I might be able to come up with something, depending on what you decide.

thirdgenbird
05-23-2015, 02:02 PM
I can't recall the year. Haven't checked.

It doesn't have a group name (looks identical to chorus) and came with the plastic Daytona/centaur skewer end. The lever end of the skewer matches my smooth chorus set. If I didn't know any better, I would say the Athena front hub was a chorus with a plastic skewer nut.

paredown
05-23-2015, 07:17 PM

If you have the skewer for your rear hub it might help narrow down the year and whether it's Mirage, Veloce or Athena. Lacking that, I'd just find a 1996 Mirage, or 1995-1997 Veloce or Athena front and a matching rear skewer. Early Chorus hubs (without the grease port) would also be a good match. I didn't check the parts lists, but they look virtually identical to later Athena. I might be able to come up with something, depending on what you decide.

No skewer with mine so I will take your suggestions.

And generally--youse guys are amazing. I was otherwise occupied through most of the 80s and 90s, so not paying attention, and it is great to rely on group memory!