PDA

View Full Version : Normal to hear popping from the front wheel when putting down power?

bkw
05-22-2015, 07:54 AM
Like the title states, is it normal to hear popping noises coming from the front wheel when laying down power (out of the saddle, sprint or heavy climb)?

I'm running a carbon wheelset, and I've just had the spokes on the front wheel retensioned thinking that was the issue but it didn't get rid of the noise.

Thanks!

MattTuck
05-22-2015, 08:23 AM
Like the title states, is it normal to hear popping noises coming from the front wheel when laying down power (out of the saddle, sprint or heavy climb)?

I'm running a carbon wheelset, and I've just had the spokes on the front wheel retensioned thinking that was the issue but it didn't get rid of the noise.

Thanks!

I wouldn't know what it was like lay down power :help:

But, if I may ask a silly question, how do you know that it is the front wheel? Bike noises are incredibly hard to pinpoint. Have you swapped in another front wheel, and found that the sound goes away?

oldpotatoe
05-22-2015, 08:25 AM

Thanks!

No, as long as it's the front wheel..may be headset(take apart, clean/lube), or front hub, or front rim/spokes, or handlebar/stem...or......

staggerwing
05-22-2015, 08:54 AM
What I once thought was a sound from the front turned out to be from a rear wheel. Loose spoke. Was fine when I sat and spun smoothly, but would pop relentlessly when I tried to stand to grind out a hill.

Easy to double check, no tools or experience required. Just 'pluck' each spoke hard and listen. Drive side will be higher pitch than non-drive, but all spokes within a side should be relatively close in pitch.

FlashUNC
05-22-2015, 09:02 AM
If its only when you're romping on it, I'd argue its likely not the front wheel, and instead something else, as others suggested. (Particularly headset, maybe QR skewer, something else?)

I've had a couple minor pops and pings on a new built wheel before they get settled in when the spokes haven't been fully stress relieved, but that goes away quickly and doesn't come back.

I'm reminded of a creak that I thought was for sure coming from the headset area. 100%. Would have bet money on it. Only happened in seemingly a small set of circumstances. Took it to 3 shops who did everything from adjust the headset to check the seat-bolt to pull the BB. Problem? Some NDS spokes on the rear wheel were at a slightly lower tension, causing an intermittent creak.

So even when you're sure, you could be way off on the root cause of the noise.

oldpotatoe
05-22-2015, 09:34 AM
If its only when you're romping on it, I'd argue its likely not the front wheel, and instead something else, as others suggested. (Particularly headset, maybe QR skewer, something else?)

I've had a couple minor pops and pings on a new built wheel before they get settled in when the spokes haven't been fully stress relieved, but that goes away quickly and doesn't come back.

I'm reminded of a creak that I thought was for sure coming from the headset area. 100%. Would have bet money on it. Only happened in seemingly a small set of circumstances. Took it to 3 shops who did everything from adjust the headset to check the seat-bolt to pull the BB. Problem? Some NDS spokes on the rear wheel were at a slightly lower tension, causing an intermittent creak.

So even when you're sure, you could be way off on the root cause of the noise.

Cold weather ride..had an annoying 'click'...took the bike apart, clean, lube, adjust..next ride, warmer day..click gone..huzza..rode again on a cold day, click back..Wha?????

Turned out to be the zipper on the jacket I wore on cold days..also heard a 'noise' once, creaky helmet and another..thought my EPS front der was whirring...jacket collar rubbing on my helmet...

Mark McM
05-22-2015, 09:45 AM
Popping or clicking noises can come from an under-tensioned spoke, as the nipple moves in the rim when the spoke is unloaded in the LAZ (Load Affected Zone near the ground contact point). The addition of lateral loads (as when rocking the bike side to side) can exacerbate spoke unloading, so it is possible that loose spoke may be quiet until the bike is rocked back and forth.

As a quick test, pluck each spoke and listen to the tone of the sound it produces. If any one spoke has a significantly lower tone, that spoke is under tensioned.

This is just one thing to look at. As others said, noises can come from a variety of different sources, and they don't always originate from the area your ears are telling you it does.

bkw
05-22-2015, 08:11 PM
Popping or clicking noises can come from an under-tensioned spoke, as the nipple moves in the rim when the spoke is unloaded in the LAZ (Load Affected Zone near the ground contact point). The addition of lateral loads (as when rocking the bike side to side) can exacerbate spoke unloading, so it is possible that loose spoke may be quiet until the bike is rocked back and forth.

As a quick test, pluck each spoke and listen to the tone of the sound it produces. If any one spoke has a significantly lower tone, that spoke is under tensioned.

I think you've figured it out. After tensioning the spokes again and going for a ride I heard the popping and pinging noises again. So I rechecked the tension and sure enough a few had loosened up.

I think I'll try a dab of blue loctite and see if that works.

Thanks!

bcroslin
05-22-2015, 08:33 PM
I've been hearing a tinging noise from my front wheel when I stand up. I assume it's a spoke.

shovelhd
05-22-2015, 09:44 PM

Thanks!

No.

Is this some generic eBay wheelset?

FlashUNC
05-22-2015, 09:59 PM
I think you've figured it out. After tensioning the spokes again and going for a ride I heard the popping and pinging noises again. So I rechecked the tension and sure enough a few had loosened up.

Thanks!

Loctite is just going to lead to some broken spokes.

Got a stripped nipple in there?

oldpotatoe
05-23-2015, 06:21 AM

Thanks!

I'm guessing the entire wheel is undertensioned..if riding it loosens them more. Tension keeps them tight, not 'glue'.

I'd do more tension, with a tension meter, and check the rear also.

carpediemracing
05-23-2015, 08:59 AM
I had a noise coming from a front wheel. I "expertly" traced it to a valve moving in the rim so I left it alone.

I had some weird issues with control when sprinting 100%.

Ends up one spoke was loose, the rest were under tensioned. I've re-tensioned, haven't ridden it yet.

I'd say that any regular noise coming from a front wheel isn't good. Failure in the front wheel - fork - bar - stem area can be catastrophic.

bcgav
05-23-2015, 09:14 AM
Also check front QR skewer, put some grease on the axle and threads. Had this solve a similar elusive click when pedaling out of the saddle.

bkw
05-26-2015, 02:31 PM
Over the holiday weekend I overhauled the front end and I think I've stopped the pinging.

- Replaced one nipple and spoke - as I was tensioning it, the nipple stopped grabbing at the threads so I decided to swap the entire piece.
- Black tape over the valve stem where it meets the rim
- Greased the QR
- Cleaned, greased and torqued the headset, stem and bars to manufacturer recommended settings

Rnaymik
05-28-2015, 12:34 AM
Had an annoying pop/creak for a really long time that I swore was the bottom bracket until I decided it was the headset. Would take the front wheel out and pop the fork out to regrease and re tension everything. Noise went away for a few hours, then would come back. One day I realized the noise went away whenever I took the wheel out/re tensioned the QR. greased the QR/fork drop out area and solved it.