PDA

View Full Version : Minimalistic Rain Jacket

Plum Hill
05-21-2015, 04:21 PM
The zipper of my Sugoi Hyrolite took a hike; replacement is $25-30. At 50% of purchase cost, it's time for something new.

Any suggestions?
Has anyone used an Arcterx Incendo?

BobbyJones
05-21-2015, 08:52 PM
The Incendo is far from a rain jacket.

It's nice as a windshell, but if you're looking to stay dry in rain, you won't.

OperaLover
05-21-2015, 09:03 PM
Showers Pass makes a great shell. Pro Tech ST.

buldogge
05-21-2015, 10:26 PM
Many brands...many styles...just make sure you stick with either eVent or Polartec NeoShell.

Also, consider a custom (surprisingly cheap) from Foxwear.

-Mark in St Louis

jwess1234
05-22-2015, 07:14 AM
Gore Path Jacket (http://www.goreapparel.com/gore-bike-wear-path-jacket/JGPATH,default,pd.html).

Minimal design, lightweight and packable, breathes well. I wouldn't pay full retail for it, but picked it up for about $100 a while back and definitely recommend.

JStonebarger
05-22-2015, 09:36 AM
What happened to the $30 plastic jacket? I realize they don't breath at all, but for warm-up on a cold rainy day...

$200 for a rain shell? Maybe I'll buy some trash bags.

jt2gt
05-22-2015, 10:20 AM
Find one of the older Gore Oxygen GT on sale...like this or previous years.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/gore-bike-wear-oxygen-gt-as-jacket-mens

Just thin enough to roll up...fit is slim, works well. I think I found mine on nashbar a while back for $60 or so.

JT

likebikes
05-22-2015, 10:43 AM
this is probably the most minimal cycling rain jacket of ever: http://o2rainwear.com/2011/03/original-cycling-jacket/

Plum Hill
05-22-2015, 10:50 AM
I bought an O2 when they first came out.
Heavier than I desire.

Thanks for the replies.

gdw
05-22-2015, 11:00 AM
The O2 jacket he provided the link to weighs 4 oz. You'll have a tough time finding anything lighter than that which breaths and is waterproof.

Are you looking for a water-resistant or waterproof jacket?

josephr
05-22-2015, 11:21 AM

good question for the OP! I'm generally a fair-weather rider but I have a Cannondale Pack-Me jacket which I got from Nashbar for $30 on sale. Its nice to have on days when rain/mist are possible.

likebikes
05-22-2015, 11:32 AM
I bought an O2 when they first came out.
Heavier than I desire.
?
heavier? the o2 is a literal fraction of the weight of anything else linked in this thread!

FlashUNC
05-22-2015, 11:33 AM
Depends, if its for an emergency rain jacket, I like the Castelli Sotille Due. Total throwback transparent plastic rain jacket. It works, but breathable isn't exactly high on its list. It weighs nothing and is great for the pocket for that surprise rain shower.

merckx
05-22-2015, 01:39 PM
You will get wet regardless of how much you spend, either from the inside out, or the outside in. Riding comfortably in the rain is really an exercise in temperature management. In hot summer rain I use an Assos vest. It is perfect for a bit of warmth and protection when the summer storms appear. On cool-ish days in the spring or fall I use a Rapha rain jacket. It works okay for temp management on those occasions. On colder rain days, I use a Gore something or another. It is a heavier weight jacket that will keep me toasty when it is in the 40/50's and raining. I ride a lot in all weather conditions so they each get pressed into service regularly.

Plum Hill
05-22-2015, 02:13 PM
The O2 jacket he provided the link to weighs 4 oz. You'll have a tough time finding anything lighter than that which breaths and is waterproof.

Water resistant.
Like I said, I've had an O2 for years. Material is thicker than the Sugoi, and doesn't pack as well.

CaliFly
05-22-2015, 02:17 PM
Patagonia Houdini? Found one at an REI sale for $30 or so.

JStonebarger
05-22-2015, 02:31 PM
Water resistant.
Like I said, I've had an O2 for years. Material is thicker than the Sugoi, and doesn't pack as well.

But are you sure that was an O2 "Original?" They have a couple other styles of rain jacket, both of which weigh at least 3x as much. The O2 Original is about as thin and light as I've seen. (If they made a transparent version I'd be set.)

choke
05-22-2015, 02:39 PM
Sportful Hot Pack Ultralight - http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/latestnews/gear-break-cycling-jackets/#.VV-FcbE5gcI