PDA

View Full Version : 8 speed camp vs 8 speed shim

mfb1001
04-24-2006, 07:12 AM
I have a set up with bar end shifters and 8 speed shimano cassett. I've picked up a new/used set of mavic rims someone is not using anymore, and would like to beable to switch out the current rims, with the size 28mm tires and use the other rims with a 23mm tire for club rides. The original rims that came on my Atlantis will only go as low as 28mm tires. These rims have a Campagnolo 8-speed cassett. I understand the Campagnolo 8-speed has a 5.0 mm center to center spacing vs the shimano 4.8mm cc spacing. I tried the rims out and didn't have any problems, just wanted to know if anyone can see any problems with this. Does the .2mm make that much of a differnce on the chain? Thanks for the help

Too Tall
04-24-2006, 07:16 AM
Nope! This is a very compatible setup.

mfb1001
04-24-2006, 08:31 AM
Thanks Too Tall

dbrk
04-24-2006, 09:01 AM
As much as I like to mix and match, 8 speed is not as smooth as 9 when you use Shimano shifters and Campagnolo cassettes. Of course if you use the friction mode on the bar ends then everything works perfectly (they have yet to devise a rear derailleur that will not shift friction, but I am sure they will...). Wheels Mfg makes spacer kits that make the shifting far better in 8 speed. They are not expensive, easy to replace, worth it for the clicking smoothness. In fact, the move to 9 wasn't so much an improvement for the extra gear but because Shimangnolo reached it's optimal state: nines clicked more smoothly than eights when mixing up shifters and rear derailleurs. Ten works fine but ten is more finicky in general and nine was easily to set up by a long shot.

I make it sort of a point not to use completely matching groups. For me a bike looks better, less corporate and monolithic when there are competitors parts made to work together. I applaud you efforts!

dbrk

d_douglas
04-24-2006, 10:56 AM
Is it that simple? I just posted last week asking about how to preserve my Campy eight speed, moving to nine or ten speed, etc, etc.

Can I simply throw an 8spd HG cassette wheel on with my 8spd Chorus and call it a day? This is on a cyclocross bike, so I could be working it fairly hard - I just don't want it to skip and end up with me and no front teeth from connecting with the handlebar...

My expensive option is to buy Campy Ventos/Sciroccos, a Veloce cassette, rear derailleur and ergo shifters, which I am not super excited about...

Any suggestions?

BTW - if I buy cheap Campy prebuilts, which ones are best for a 200lb guy - Ventos, Sciroccos, maybe Protons???

dbrk
04-24-2006, 11:05 AM
Is it that simple? Can I simply throw an 8spd HG cassette wheel on with my 8spd Chorus and call it a day?Any suggestions?

BTW - if I buy cheap Campy prebuilts, which ones are best for a 200lb guy - Ventos, Sciroccos, maybe Protons???

As I said above, no, it's not that simple. To cross shifters with cassettes you need the Wheels Mfg. spacers. Red one go on the Shimano wheels to shift Campag; I can't remember the other color but they are still availale.

Prebuilts for a big guy? I'd not use Protons for cross but the Sciroccos are much tougher stuff.

dbrk