PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo crank bolts: a rant.

pbel
05-20-2015, 03:20 PM
Last night I was tightening the chainring bolts for my Chorus 10 ultra torque crank when I went a little too far and stripped it. Ok, good thing I have about 30 spares rolling around my parts bin. I pull out a brand new FSA pair, but they don't fit. I grabbed another and another, but none of them fit! The campagnolo is a smaller diameter and a new set is over $10. Not a set of chainring bolts, but 1 pair. ugh. First the 135 BCD and now this? Its things like this and the fact that pretty much every freehub body is shimano/SRAM really have me thinking that my next build will not be campy. :(

oliver1850
05-20-2015, 05:05 PM
Not sure about the bolt size. I pulled the first random Sugino bolt I found, it fits fine in a C10 ring, both shank and head.

There's good and bad to both camps. C8/9/10 (non Escape) LH Ergo levers work with any FD ever made, not just Campagnolo. A given model of STI won't even shift the bulk of Shimano's FDs. Shimano has 3 different freehub bodies in the 9/10/11 era, Campagnolo has been functionally the same since 1997.

RedRider
05-20-2015, 05:08 PM
Use a torque wrench on every bolt.

Louis
05-20-2015, 05:15 PM
The campagnolo is a smaller diameter and a new set is over $10.

Only $10? That's a steal:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=15518

ultraman6970
05-20-2015, 05:46 PM
You dont need to use campagnolo brand ones if you dont want to pay you know. Ebay is full of other brands that are compatible with the campagnolo one you are looking for. maybe like 15 bucks for the set of 5. I got a set time ago, if you dont look at the crankset really really close there is no way for you to tell the bolts arent campy :P

thirdgenbird
05-20-2015, 05:57 PM
Last night I was tightening the chainring bolts for my Chorus 10 ultra torque crank when I went a little too far and stripped it. Ok, good thing I have about 30 spares rolling around my parts bin. I pull out a brand new FSA pair, but they don't fit. I grabbed another and another, but none of them fit! The campagnolo is a smaller diameter and a new set is over $10. Not a set of chainring bolts, but 1 pair. ugh. First the 135 BCD and now this? Its things like this and the fact that pretty much every freehub body is shimano/SRAM really have me thinking that my next build will not be campy. :(

Ah yes, shiamno with their consistency and standards
-three different OD bb cups in current production (standard, 9000, 6800)

-five axle standards in recent history (JIS, low pro JIS, octalink v1, octalink v2, hollowtech)

-completely new chainring appearance/standards/hardware every generation (7800, 7900, 9000)

-freehubs, I lost track (Uniglide, hyperglide 7, hyperglide, deep spline, back to hyperglide, hyperglide 11)

-revised brake cable pull for road

-more brake hoods than any sane man can count

-different component colors and finishes every generation and level

For what it's worth, I've got a bike with:
10spd veloce bb
C record crank arms
10spd record little ring
10spd chorus big ring
10spd centaur rd
10spd chorus fd
8spd record ergo bodys
10spd record ergo internals
8spd Athena front hub
10spd record rear hub
C record delta calipers
9spd record brake pads
10spd record brake pad hardware

that is 7 different groupsets over 20 years of production and everything looks and functions together perfectly.

I could also use 2009-2014 11spd chainrings, any campy brake, a 2009-2014 rd, any fd

Cost? Outside of cassettes, campy is pretty cheap if you figure in resale value. Chorus and above have done well. I paid for a 10spd upgrade by selling my 8spd group and by the looks of things, I could buy an 11spd group for the same money I could get from my 10spd group.

oldpotatoe
05-20-2015, 06:22 PM

7900 cranks and later have proprietary CR bolts too. Check the prices for7900 CR bolts, that are not compatible with any 11s cranks. Shimano is famous for bolt diameters on MTB cranks where the CR above doesn't fit the crank a level below.
How many spam/shimano made rear hubs can be converted to Campagnolo...

By all means use something else but Campagnolo parts are plentiful, in some cases the same or less than shimano(9000 front or rear hub CONE happens to be attached to the axle...about $115).

But yup what thirdgenbird above....said.

oldpotatoe
05-20-2015, 06:23 PM
Not sure about the bolt size. I pulled the first random Sugino bolt I found, it fits fine in a C10 ring, both shank and head.

There's good and bad to both camps. C8/9/10 (non Escape) LH Ergo levers work with any FD ever made, not just Campagnolo. A given model of STI won't even shift the bulk of Shimano's FDs. Shimano has 3 different freehub bodies in the 9/10/11 era, Campagnolo has been functionally the same since 1997.

Carbon crank spider has a smaller hole than aluminum, hence the smaller OD bolt.

cmg
05-20-2015, 06:25 PM
wait till you discover that the brake calipers pads for the skeleton brakes won't fit anything else and the nuts are'nt interchangable. yep, it'll make you rearange the furniture in the room you lost the bolt in.......... and then there's the seatpost that's slightly larger than 27.2 Ah, campy

shovelhd
05-20-2015, 07:05 PM
Fire your mechanic.

oliver1850
05-21-2015, 12:03 AM
Carbon crank spider has a smaller hole than aluminum, hence the smaller OD bolt.

Good to know. Yet another reason to avoid CF cranks.

Hank Scorpio
05-21-2015, 05:21 AM
Check Velomine. I got a full set for $40.

oldpotatoe
05-21-2015, 06:14 AM
Check Velomine. I got a full set for $40.

Plus 1..Campag and Campag compatible stuff is everywhere on this world wide market where just about anything is a click and a few days, away..many times cheaper than any MSRP..but whining nonetheless. :bike:

I also fault many LBS', who in spite of many US distributors carrying Campag and Campag compatible 'stuff'(more than shimano in the US), carry none of this stuff, know nothing about it..and give ya that thousand yard stare when you ask about 'Campagnolo chainring bolts'. In a bike shop, a small market segment that only comes to one shop, well, that's a large market segment for that shop..but...geeeez, it's really not that hard.