PDA

View Full Version : Steel road framesets

Russian bear
05-20-2015, 01:11 PM
Ever since I saw Bantamben's master x light in the sales section (I still might go for it if it's around in a little while!) I've been kind of smitten with the idea of a steel bike. The other thing contributing to this, is that my significant other inherited a Lemond Tourmalet (Reynolds 853). I rode it to the shop/work to check it out and tune it up and WOW. Steel sure does ride smoothly over our tattered roads.

With all that, what other framesets should i keep an eye out for? I really love chrome accents on the frame (why i'm gaga over the master light). So far I've found other options like the Tommassini Tecno. Also, recently noticed a banesto Pinarello Vuelta on ebay I need a pretty big frame, ~60cm if that matters any tubing wise. Any other Pinarello suggestions welcome too as I'm not too familiar with many of their steel models.

rpm
05-20-2015, 01:19 PM
A Serotta CDA is an awfully nice steel bike. I have one in a 62 cm size and it's a sweet ride in that size. There are lots of fans of older Serotta steel models, so those can be a good deal, too.

Mzilliox
05-20-2015, 01:21 PM
Is there a question here? Just what frames to look for? its a very vague question with way too many answers.

theres only about 6000 choices in old steel frames. you may have to be a bit more specific, like what are your intentions with this bike? racing? pleasure rides? commuting? touring? fixed gear? price limit? vintage or modern? custom or stock?

there are several lists of desirable C & V frames on this site and others, I suggest doing some research. Bikeforums.net has a great classic and vintage section.

Or just buy the best deal you find in your size...

help us help you

Mayhem
05-20-2015, 01:38 PM
http://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/frames-2#/specFilters=2m!#-!802&pageSize=15&orderBy=0&pageNumber=1

mktng
05-20-2015, 01:43 PM
I gotta suggest it. Only because sometimes the name needs to be thrown out there amongst the best that people talk about.

Look into a new 40th Anniversary Marinoni !

Italian quality, experience and passion. Down to earth price.

Hand made (check)
Steel (check)
Lugged (check)
Chrome (check)
Pantograph (check)

:banana::banana::banana::banana:

oldpotatoe
05-20-2015, 01:48 PM
Ever since I saw Bantamben's master x light in the sales section (I still might go for it if it's around in a little while!) I've been kind of smitten with the idea of a steel bike. The other thing contributing to this, is that my significant other inherited a Lemond Tourmalet (Reynolds 853). I rode it to the shop/work to check it out and tune it up and WOW. Steel sure does ride smoothly over our tattered roads.

With all that, what other framesets should i keep an eye out for? I really love chrome accents on the frame (why i'm gaga over the master light). So far I've found other options like the Tommassini Tecno. Also, recently noticed a banesto Pinarello Vuelta on ebay I need a pretty big frame, ~60cm if that matters any tubing wise. Any other Pinarello suggestions welcome too as I'm not too familiar with many of their steel models.

Http://www.waterfordbikes.com

veggieburger
05-20-2015, 01:48 PM
Is there a question here? Just what frames to look for? its a very vague question with way too many answers.
help us help you

Ya, narrow it down boss. How much do you want to spend? Start there and let the convo begin.

Ralph
05-20-2015, 01:49 PM
I ride (usually) a steel frame with Enve fork. But have ridden all kinds of frame materials. And for the first 40 years of my riding life, rode a steel frame and fork.
I'm a little mystified when someone talks about the feel of steel. I know what you mean by the "feel" of a steel frame, but i also think ride quality is most about frame design, wheels, tire size, and air pressure. And you can get the "feel" you want from about any frame material.

David Kirk
05-20-2015, 01:50 PM
What do you weigh and ultimately what do you want the bike to do?

dave

oliver1850
05-20-2015, 02:28 PM
You could do a lot worse than another LeMond. Relatively inexpensive and they aren't too hard to find in large sizes, but they have slacker STAs and longer TTs than most frames. Other options are just about unlimited. Here's one I regret passing up:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Basso-Astra-Columbus-EL-OS-Frame-Dura-Ace-7400-components-/331544103058?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d31918892&nma=true&si=pQOhKzFILZPJEBOk539rvWMB%252Bwk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Bstone
05-20-2015, 05:21 PM
There a million Zurichs floating around for pennies on the dollar. 853.

How would custom be better?

Mr. Pink
05-20-2015, 05:24 PM
http://www.strongframes.com

Russian bear
05-20-2015, 05:39 PM
Pardon the vagueness, I need to keep it under 1k for the frameset. This definitely puts me into the used market. I weight 185lb and am a decently strong cat 3 racer. It would be fun to have a second race bike in a different material just for some variety (that's pretty to boot) and if it's italian all the better.

I suppose main point of the thread was just to get some suggestions on frames to look for while i'm ebaying or checking forum sales sections. Thanks for the replies so far.

choke
05-20-2015, 06:25 PM
Pardon the vagueness, I need to keep it under 1k for the frameset. This definitely puts me into the used market. I weight 185lb and am a decently strong cat 3 racer. It would be fun to have a second race bike in a different material just for some variety (that's pretty to boot) and if it's italian all the better.

I suppose main point of the thread was just to get some suggestions on frames to look for while i'm ebaying or checking forum sales sections. Thanks for the replies so far.Some off the top of my head...

Chesini
Ciöcc
Faggin
Basso
Scapin
Somec
Zullo
Daccordi
Gios
Moser
Magni
Paletti
Rossin
Freschi

David Kirk
05-20-2015, 06:49 PM

I suppose main point of the thread was just to get some suggestions on frames to look for while i'm ebaying or checking forum sales sections. Thanks for the replies so far.

At your height and weight I'd just shy away from old school bikes with 1" top tubes.........then just concentrate on fit.

dave

jr59
05-20-2015, 07:08 PM
The PDG paramount are fairly cheap and can easily be found, if you want an inexpensive steel frame

fogrider
05-20-2015, 07:31 PM
I would think many frames built with air hardened steel like 853 and ox tubing should be good, not that frames that are not air hardened will ride poorly. I love the ride of my ron cooper...

Titanium
05-20-2015, 08:42 PM
If you are looking at frames that are not new ,then may I suggest frames made with SP or SPX tubing like some of the larger frame Tommasinis as these tube sets were designed for larger riders.This holds true for the legendary Max tubing as well.

Mzilliox
05-20-2015, 09:22 PM

Nice, thats great, I'll keep my eyes open, Just scored a sweet one today, but too small, only 55cm. lots of good deals at that price, you want frame fork for under 1k? or whole bike?

Good luck

RonW87
05-20-2015, 09:40 PM
R&A Cycles had lots of Casatis available including in larger sizes for quite a while. Still might.

noshaver
05-21-2015, 10:54 AM
How about Ti? I'll never sell my Ti frame...

professerr
05-21-2015, 12:28 PM
How about a De Rosa Primato? Old school steel lugged classic with slightly oversized tubing, per Dave Kirk's suggestion to avoid standard size tubing given your weight and size.

Hard to find though, especially in your size. I raced one long ago, though it would seem odd in a race today. Your legs could do the talking though.

maxcolumbus
05-21-2015, 01:28 PM
You should contact Savine.
Daniel will build you a great frame with modern performance and an old school
panache. He is not doing chrome, but not many builders are.
Mine is lugged, with modern Columbus tubes and a 1 inch head tube and steel fork. The ride is fantastic. He should be able to come in right around your price point.

savinecycles@googlemail.com

alexstar
05-21-2015, 05:07 PM
I've seen some Tommasini Tecnos (Tecni?) come up on eBay in your size/price range recently. I'm on the lookout for a 56 myself. Gorgeous bikes and the oversize tubing is perfect for a larger rider.

thirdgenbird
05-21-2015, 05:51 PM
At your height and weight I'd just shy away from old school bikes with 1" top tubes.........then just concentrate on fit.

dave

As a guy the same size, I can agree.

I've got a Tommasini Tecno made from ELOS and an older Colnago with crimped SL tubes. I like the ride on both bikes, but the Tecno is better suited for the riding you intend to use it for. Both are 59-60cm btw

Fivethumbs
05-22-2015, 01:33 PM
How about the Soma Smoothie?

http://store.somafab.com/sosmtaprrora.html

According to their website 28 people like it.

bocobiking
05-22-2015, 02:27 PM
I bought this beautiful 1980 Raleigh Competition GS off of Craigslist for $200. It has all Campy parts. I rebuilt the wheels with new rims and upgraded the saddle. Rides wonderfully; its tall frame with short top tube is perfect for me.

drewellison
05-22-2015, 06:09 PM
Ooh, you're wading into a very broad, murky, swirling sea of goodness. Pick one which speaks to you, has the right top tube length, and makes you happy just looking at it. Then after you get it, ride it, and love it, continue to build your bike fund because within a year, you'll be lusting after another one, and then another, and then you'll sell one to buy a different one, and then your tastes will change (improve?) and pretty soon you'll be looking for an English bike to complement the Italian bike, or maybe a modern American built steed. Hey, I see some pretty cool bikes made in Belgium.

And then there's old pros bikes which show up on the market from time to time. And then ...

And maybe I should try some tig-welded, or bi-lam frames ...

Steel bikes. It can be a disease. Don't say we didn't tell you.

Drew

Mzilliox
05-23-2015, 08:54 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=168657

i have a feeling this guy has what you need