PDA

View Full Version : Serotta MTB CST and CHT

jneumann
04-24-2006, 04:49 AM
Hi Biker,

i own a Serotta CST and Serotta CHT MTB with v-brake only. Is it possible to use discs by mounting an adapter like merlin does it or is there no chance? I would prefer Discs with the is2000 specification.

Thanks

Juergen

Serotta PETE
04-24-2006, 09:17 AM
What type of fork are you using on the mountian bike?

I would suggest sending a note or calling SEROTTA to see is your frame (might want to get serial number and have it handy before you call).

V brakes are pretty powerful, why are you looking to change?

Regards.

PETE

jneumann
04-24-2006, 09:47 AM
Hi Pete,

the fork is not the problem - the frame has no disc tabs. I like my v-brakes but i have to buy a new wheelset and i think of using discs but i am not sure because of the simple and less.maintenance v-brakes. If the adapter is too expensive i will forget it and i will buy another v-brake wheelset.

Thanks for your answer

Juergen

fishylittlethin
04-24-2006, 09:54 AM
Hi Juergen,

I think it would be best to drop a note to the technical folks at Serotta to see if it is possible. I read somewhere, not Serotta, that braking forces would be different between the v-brakes and disc brakes and that the stays might not be designed for disc brake forces.

Owner of a disc-brake (thank goodness) CHT. :-)
ps. I am also in Germany. Hamburg. Send me a PM if you are too.

David Kirk
04-24-2006, 10:25 AM
The CHT would handle the braking forces just fine but the CST would need a chainstay brake mount. It was originally designed to work with Hayes chainstay mount discs.

Dave

Serotta PETE
04-24-2006, 01:00 PM
The CHT would handle the braking forces just fine but the CST would need a chainstay brake mount. It was originally designed to work with Hayes chainstay mount discs.

Dave

Juergen,

Dave is our expert! You can not get anymore factual than that! He has forgotten more about Serotta products than more the rest of us will ever know.

Regards

PETE

Dave B
04-24-2006, 01:10 PM
Two thoughts on this one problem.

First off if your fork will take disc brakes then just run the fron disc, only have to buy 1 wheel and 1 disc brake. Most of the braking is in the front anyway. Plus it would make the bike lighter.

Secondly mountain bike action magazine has a recent article on a new cable housing that is supposed to increase braking power dramatically with V-brakes. Much less costly then a new disc/wheel/adapter price.

IMHO