PDA

View Full Version : Windows

velotel
05-20-2015, 03:32 AM
As in windows of opportunity and the closing thereof. When we’re young those windows are open so wide we don’t even know they’re there. I have no idea at what age I finally saw the window frame lurking in my peripheral vision. Wasn’t early. And even if it was earlier than I think, no doubt I just stuck my head further out so the frame disappeared from view. I mean who wants to see that we’re looking at the world through a window frame because if we see the window frame we’re pretty much forced into acknowledging it’s not a permanent condition; windows close.

Lately I’ve been seeing that window a lot. And I mean the window, not just the frame. As in the window’s closing. Which has been pushing me to do some things I hadn’t done yet. Like do a book I’d been contemplating for years. Like ride some cols I haven’t ridden, yet.

The problem is that word ‘yet’. ‘Yet’ means it’s on the schedule, for somewhere, sometime, just not now, later when there’s more time. Lots of time still for all those ‘yets’. Until there isn’t.

The cols toss another wrinkle into the window factor. They’re physical, the bigger the col, the bigger the effort needed. Those are the attention getters, standing head and shoulders above the rest, proud, demanding, illusive. Inevitably remote too. Just getting to the bottom of them takes time and sometimes even complicated logistics. Makes letting them slide into the ‘not yet’ category an easy call. Just park them out there on that list of things to do then kind of semi-forget them.

Until it’s too late, too late for a body that no longer has the force the big climbs demand. That’s the window I’ve been staring at lately. Turning 70 was what slapped me alongside the head. I realized my window of opportunity in terms of being fit enough to ride some cols I’ve been wanting to ride for years has become seriously small. Like I can almost sense the damn window slowly, inevitably closing.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not lamenting where I’m at in life. I’m still relatively fit, still riding well, still for the most part in good health. No complaints. No illusions either. Things can change, and change fast. I’ve seen acquaintances who were in fine fettle but no longer young and some small thing came along and suddenly apples were rolling all over the road and the cart was a mess. Like a friend who pulled off a classic rider error, came into an intersection too hot in the rain and instead of just going straight and slowing down and riding back to make the left turn he wanted, he braked, turned, hit the crosswalk paint, and down he went. Hard. Ended up with a cracked, but not broken, bone in his upper leg or hip, I’ve forgotten. Had to be immobilized for a number of weeks on a special bed. Then he got a blood clot. Then they discovered some problem with a tube connected to his heart. It was like some sort of slow-motion crashing of a house of cards, one thing after another. Freshly retired, money in the bank, life looking good with time to do all he’d wanted to do and bingo, the stage shifts.

Then there’s the time window. At age 70, realistically there aren’t all that many years left to go play on the high cols. Five, ten, maybe even fifteen with some monstrously good luck. More likely five to ten range. Not many in other words. The velocity with which they can slip through the fingers is astounding. The weather doesn’t help. The winter didn’t encourage nearly as much riding as I’ve done other winters. My form suffered. Spring arrived, sometimes, other times felt like we were slipping backwards towards winter, then all of a sudden it was summer, and just as quickly slipping back into early spring.

That’s how my form has been, spurts of fitness between doldrums of fatigue. And now June isn’t far off. In a month the days are going to start getting shorter. No way, impossible, not yet, I’m still searching for the fine form and summer’s just around the corner with all these cols I want, no, need to do, while I still can, while the window’s still open. Time isn’t slip sliding away, it’s friggin rocketing away! Every morning I wake up I can hear the window hinges squeaking. Have to find some oil for them. Nah, maybe not a good idea. If I can’t hear them letting them slip into that famous ‘not yet’ category of dust collecting good ideas would be way too easy.

Just have to get on with it, lay down some priorities, do some traveling this summer, remove some of those cols from the ‘not yet’ category. My list isn’t too long, which is good since the time isn’t either. Into the Dolomites a bit, and definitely the southern french Alps. A return to Switzerland would be good but highly doubtful for lots of reasons. The Pyrenees, never ridden there, I’d like to but they’re out there on the periphery of what I want to do before the window closes. A return to Colorado to ride Mt Evans with my son, a need-to.

Happily the need-to’s with my son have been minimized. Celebrated 68 by riding with him in Colorado and 70 by riding with him here. Bagged Ventoux with him, that was a good one. Mt Evans would be good too. Even better would be riding Italy with him. When I have to turn in my bike my biggest regrets will be the rides I didn’t do with him.

Crazy how fast it’s all going by. The other day during an evening ride all of a sudden I realized the year is 2015. Insane. I mean obviously I knew it was 2015, hard to not know that. What hit me was that the year 2000, you know the one, when the world was teetering on a major catastrophe because all the computers were going to crash, was like 15 years ago. That’s a lot of time because for me 2000 wasn’t very long ago at all. At least it seems like that. But here we are, 15 years deep into a new century already. That opening is looking really small. Time to get off my butt. Hopefully I haven’t left it until too late.

So, what’s my point here? Just a small reminder to all you younger folks on the forum here that you might want to pay some attention to doing all those things you dream of doing (like riding in the Alps) instead of setting them aside for another day, another year, even another decade. Those days, years, decades can slip by with astounding, even frightening speed. Not that you’ll listen to me of course; that’s what being young is all about, unlimited futures. But someday maybe you’ll find yourself standing on some high col looking out at magnificent display of life and suddenly realize, you really need to do this more often, while you still can.

One pic, shot by my son, Col de Joux Plane

R3awak3n
05-20-2015, 04:38 AM
Great advice. Always an amazing post and that picture is epic.

572cv
05-20-2015, 05:39 AM
Fine, timely post. I woke up feeling groggy, tired, wondering if I should ride today or drive the van. I'm on a ride with a group of friends down the skyline drive and blue ridge parkway, eight days, about 75 miles per day, 60k ft vertical in all. Sixth day, in NC now, it'll be a big day. But I did it because, when else? Put it off till when? When I can't? Ok, getting ready to ride.
Btw, the route is the closest to European grades and curves that I've ever seen in this part of the country.
Thanks.

paredown
05-20-2015, 06:03 AM
...snip...

So, what’s my point here? Just a small reminder to all you younger folks on the forum here that you might want to pay some attention to doing all those things you dream of doing (like riding in the Alps) instead of setting them aside for another day, another year, even another decade. Those days, years, decades can slip by with astounding, even frightening speed. Not that you’ll listen to me of course; that’s what being young is all about, unlimited futures. But someday maybe you’ll find yourself standing on some high col looking out at magnificent display of life and suddenly realize, you really need to do this more often, while you still can.

Snipped for emphasis. I'm only a few years behind you, and I couldn't say it better.

Now to get myself unstuck.

AJosiahK
05-20-2015, 06:48 AM
unstuck here I come

Wife and I have a trip coming up. For me its been, minus $ for this, oh dont forget that, all adding up. For my wife, "why dont we just find/rent MTBs and Road bikes for the trip"...

Shes right

Do it up

oldpotatoe
05-20-2015, 06:55 AM
As in windows of opportunity and the closing thereof.

One pic, shot by my son, Col de Joux Plane

Spot on Hank, great piece. Continued good health to you.

texbike
05-20-2015, 08:24 AM
Great post Hank and a wonderful reminder to take advantage of the days and opportunities that we have.

Thanks!

Texbike

numbskull
05-20-2015, 08:26 AM
Getting old beats the alternative.
Live in the moment.
Enjoy each sandwich.

soulspinner
05-20-2015, 08:44 AM
Know what you mean. Last year, silly fall at low speeds in sand. Hip still not 100 percent..........

Michael Maddox
05-20-2015, 08:57 AM
Hank, I'm in tears. Beautiful.

I've been inside my head, battling distractions that keep me going in other directions--distractions that sap my will and destroy my motivation. Yet most would consider me "accomplished."

I need to go ride.

oldpotatoe
05-20-2015, 08:59 AM
Getting old beats the alternative.
Live in the moment.
Enjoy each sandwich.

"getting old ain't for sissies"-Betty Davis

"time is the fire in which we all burn"-Paul Newman

Yes, take every opportunity to do what ya want to do but not much 'good' about getting old, IMHO.

MattTuck
05-20-2015, 09:04 AM
Great sentiment. Thanks for the perspective.

fuzzalow
05-20-2015, 09:21 AM
Each day is the culmination and cumulation of the days that have gone receding into the days that will come.

Which is my way of saying in milleflous terms that it is important to have a plan. The manner in which each day is met outlines the options for the future. Time is both your greatest friend and your greatest enemy. Know how to use it in the best way you can - in that sentiment I agree with velotel completely.

It is true that it is wonderful tick off the cols from a bucket list, but it is no less a thrill to tick off a child's college graduation from that same bucket list. The plan is merely in a different phase from that of chasing Ventoux.

Matt-H
05-20-2015, 09:24 AM
All of your posts are the best, Hank. But, if I could be a mod for a day, this one would get a sticky note.

texbike
05-20-2015, 09:47 AM
Each day is the culmination and cumulation of the days that have gone receding into the days that will come.

Which is my way of saying in milleflous terms that it is important to have a plan. The manner in which each day is met outlines the options for the future. Time is both your greatest friend and your greatest enemy. Know how to use it in the best way you can - in that sentiment I agree with velotel completely.

It is true that it is wonderful tick off the cols from a bucket list, but it is no less a thrill to tick off a child's college graduation from that same bucket list. The plan is merely in a different phase from that of chasing Ventoux.

Great post. Life can have many Ventouxs if we use our time wisely.

Texbike

cdn_bacon
05-20-2015, 09:52 AM
Thanks again for the inspiring words :hello:

DCW
05-20-2015, 10:08 AM
Epic.

Loved this post. And your post about riding with your son on your 70th was unforgettable. No question you got the right priorities sir: riding and family. Seize the Day!

tumbler
05-20-2015, 10:47 AM
Awesome post. Thanks for this.

john903
05-20-2015, 11:42 AM
Thank You for the wonderful post and encouragement. I am only 52 and have have a great family,wife,job and life,but. Yes I catch myself saying oh next year this ride or next year that adventure. I really liked your word picture of the window because in my mind as I think about it I am at the point were I can see the window frame. So again Thanks for the encouragement to get out there and enjoy life.
Have a great day.

rpm
05-20-2015, 01:12 PM
Approaching age 69, I like the windows analogy a lot. Thanks for that. A couple of other riffs on the analogy: Windows can let in fresh air when your life is feeling a bit stale. Even though older people have fewer windows, they can still be opened and pursued. And closed windows can still be satisfying. The window to past may be closed, but you can enjoy looking back through it and appreciating the good things you've experienced and accomplished.

tv_vt
05-20-2015, 03:28 PM
That was a really good post, V. Even at age 60.9, I know the feeling. How many good riding years do I have left?

Makes sitting at work on nice days really a challenge at times.

Vientomas
05-20-2015, 06:12 PM
"getting old ain't for sissies"-Betty Davis

"time is the fire in which we all burn"-Paul Newman

Yes, take every opportunity to do what ya want to do but not much 'good' about getting old, IMHO.

Calmly We Walk through This April’s Day - BY DELMORE SCHWARTZ

Calmly we walk through this April’s day,
Metropolitan poetry here and there,
In the park sit pauper and rentier,
The screaming children, the motor-car
Fugitive about us, running away,
Between the worker and the millionaire
Number provides all distances,
It is Nineteen Thirty-Seven now,
Many great dears are taken away,
What will become of you and me
(This is the school in which we learn ...)
Besides the photo and the memory?
(... that time is the fire in which we burn.)...

Star Trek Generations, Dr. Tolian Soran (played by Malcolm McDowell)

They say time is the fire in which we burn. Right now, Captain, my time is running out. We leave so many things unfinished in our lives... I know you understand.

velotel
05-21-2015, 08:43 AM
Well cool, glad my thoughts were appreciated. Just some stuff that's been floating in my head recently but never imagined it would connect with so many.

Cheers