PDA

View Full Version : I need to tell you all about my friend Sue de Vries

Bruce K
04-23-2006, 08:10 PM
Today, I attended the funeral of my friend and riding buddy Sue de Vries.

Sue was 44 years old, a devoted and beloved wife, and mother of three beautiful children.

Sue lived life like noone I have ever known and fought breast cancer for the last 5 years.

She has ridden 2 PMC's, started Sue's Circle of Hope to help support survivors and their families, participated in several drug/treatment studies in both the hope that it might help her, but more importantly that it might help others in the future.

Sue was everybody's best friend (at least she made everyone feel that way), and just a joy to behold.

She was not the fsatest rider you would ever meet, but like the Energizer Bunny, she just kept going and going.

Sue never stopped, right up until the end. She was planning to host a fundraiser for the Circle of Hope and Dana Farber in just another week.

I will miss her smile, her laughter, her company on Saturday morning rides.

I will never forget her spirit.

BK

Sandy
04-23-2006, 08:16 PM
She seemed like a remarkably special lady that made a great impact on many people for how she lived her life up to the very end. Undoubtedly she will be geuinely missed by many.

Sandy

BumbleBeeDave
04-23-2006, 08:23 PM
. . . "I will never forget her spirit."

And I bet that's exactly how she would want you to remember her. It makes me truly sorry I did not also get to enjoy the pleasure of her friendship.

I hope there will be a memorial ride. But then again, after you've known someone like that, I guess EVERY ride from now on will be a memorial ride to her . . .

BBD

Bill Bove
04-23-2006, 08:26 PM
Bruce, I know EXACTLY how you feel. Sure lot's of folks say that, with good intentions but they really can't know "exactly" how you feel. As you know we also lost a good friend down here to cancer last month, Mike Tague. People who leave such an impression on us as Sue and Mike never die because as long as we live, we carry a spark of their spirit with us in our heart. If the world is lucky that spark catches fire and a hundred other people carry Sue's, Mike's and all that came before them's pureness forward.

Help me out here dbrk.

gone
04-23-2006, 08:44 PM
Sincere condolences for your loss but at the same time, from reading your post, I know that you realize that you've been blessed. Of the many people that pass through our lives, we're fortunate if we get to meet a few that inspire us. She may be gone in body but hopefully, her spirit will live on in those who knew her.

jel
04-23-2006, 08:57 PM
What a wonderful tribute for your friend. My condolences.

H.Frank Beshear
04-23-2006, 08:57 PM
For the measure of life shall not be counted, in the time spent here on earth, rather in the hearts and souls of those who are left to remember, the laughter, joy, and tears. My thoughts and prayers are with them. Frank

djg
04-23-2006, 10:45 PM
I'm very sorry for your loss. That's just about my own wife's age and that's precisely the number of little kids we have. I cannot imagine what we would do without her. You and her family have my deepest sympathies.

Dan

Serpico
04-23-2006, 10:46 PM
nice tribute, sorry about your friend :o

Ginger
04-23-2006, 11:14 PM
Bruce,
I'm sorry to hear about your friend. You've spoken about her in such glowing terms in the past, I'm sorry to hear that she's no longer with us.
Mary Ann

William
04-24-2006, 05:26 AM
I'm very sorry Bruce. Sue sounds like a wonderful inspiration and spirit for others to remember. My condolences.

William

Needs Help
04-24-2006, 08:33 AM
:(

Len J
04-24-2006, 11:50 AM
:(

in your heart and your memories.

Sorry for your loss.

Len

davids
04-24-2006, 02:59 PM
Bruce,

I am so sorry to read this. Losing a friend is a horrible thing. She sounds like she was a wonderful person, and a great friend.

Our religion teaches us that people live on through the effect they've had on others. She sounds like someone who has enriched the lives a many, many others. That's a great thing, and I hope you take some comfort from that.

I found her obit in the Globe - The funeral was at my synagogue. I think I may know her parents...

A tragedy. My deepest sympathies,

Bruce K
04-24-2006, 07:27 PM
Thanks David;

Once again, Rabbi Lipof was "on her game" with a very touching eulogy. Apparently her daughter and Sue were friends growing up so it was very personal for her too.

The whole main floor of the sanctuary was filled with people who have been touched by Sue in some way.

BTW, OS has been a very special place in my life as well. My Grandmother was president of the sisterhood there, my mother was one of the first Bat Mitzvahs there, my uncle was president, and I started Hebrew School there. All in all a place full of memories.

BK

catulle
04-24-2006, 07:50 PM
I'm sorry to hear that one of the good ones is gone. God bless.

davids
04-24-2006, 08:13 PM
Bruce,

We've been members since the late 80s. I'm a board member, and my wife used to be head of the school committee. It's been a special place for me, too.

Stop by on 5/20 for a happier occassion - My daughter's Bat Mitzvah. Rabbi Lipof is like another grandmother to her...

BumbleBeeDave
04-24-2006, 08:30 PM
Congrats on your daughter's special day!

I'm not Jewish, but I know it's a special time!

BBD

mdeeds71
04-25-2006, 01:17 AM
I am now understanding loss more and more...I too, lost someone to breast cancer but she battled it well on the first occurance and continued to raise my younger brother and baby sister. She was mid forties then with two sons already gone and away, and a third son in middle school and a new daughter.

I nearly flunked out of college going home to visit. About 9 months ago she was re-diagnosed with cancer this time more agressive in lung, heart, liver, and slowly the brain. I guess the removal on the first occurance was not complete. She tried to battle that...and until the last few days would still not let anyone down in the family in terms of her spririt and daily bringing up of my sister. When she passed, I was on an airplane (my job that I am discusted with since this happened) commuting home to get my wife and get to Salem , IL to visit in her last hours. I did not make it nor did the other two sons, she had heart failure at the hospital with my sister there and her own sisters and mother. I was told it was better that myself and brothers were not there...she just would have tried to fight. She is more comfortable now than she has been for over two years...But I miss my mother!

I truely understand and give my condolences on your loss.