PDA

View Full Version : Is bike fit really important? Read this and you will see!

Sandy
04-23-2006, 08:07 PM
Smiley and I were planning to do an aprroximate 40 mile moderately hilly ride. We were doing an easy spin before going on the actual ride. It started raining so we had to temporarily stop at his house until the rain let up. I was having a tremendous amount of trouble trying to keep the bike tracking straight. In fact, I couldn't. It was amazingly disconcerting and stressful. Smiley could see my arms shaking as I was trying to keep my bike in a reasonably straight line.

We tried different wheels and tires, different psi, tightening the head set (which seemed fine) etc. Both he and I took my bike for multiple road tests. The problem actually seemed like it was getting worse. Smiley determined the bike was just fine for him.

Another friend came over to Smiley's when the sun came out, and Smiley, the friend and I wanted to ride together. But I said no because of how poorly the bike was riding. But Smiley talked me into trying to ride some. Before we actually started, I had decided to make an appointment with a neurologist and told Smiley that I might have to stop riding (for good) since the problem was so persistent and meaningful. I was very discouraged.

Both Smiley and our friend watched me ride and the problem was very apparent to both of them. We went about a mile or so to a point in which we normally stop, and it was suggested that we move my saddle forward. Smiley looked at the saddle and noted that it had slid all the way back on the rails (which it has done in the past). The saddle was moved forward approximately 1.25-1.5 cm.

So then we started out again and there was an absolutely amazing transformation in the bike. It became my old Ottrott again, I was exceedingly happy and geninely appreciated the help given by Smiley and our friend.

Our conclusion was that the problem was that there was not enough weight over the front wheel and that is what made such a subsantial difference. With the saddle moved forward, I could feel more weight pushing down on the handlebar and front wheel.

So a single change of 1.25-1.5 cm stopped me from considering the possibility of giving up cycling and of seeing a neurologist.

So is a proper fit very important? It most DEFINETLY is!!!!!

VERY THANKFUL to Smiley and Paul H.

Sandy

FierteTi52
04-23-2006, 08:28 PM
Sandy,
Good to hear you were able to rememdy the problem. I had a same experience recently. On my fierte Ti I was all the way back on the rails of a non setback Thomson seatpost and thought I needed to go back further. I changed the seatpost to a set back style using the same saddle I had as an extra. I set it up quick as I was in a hurry. I went out for a ride and the front end was all over the road. The bike just didn't handle right. After I returned home I took a few measuremants and found I was 2cm further back. In addition, my lower back was bothered with the seat 2cm back. I ditched the set back post and everthing is fine again. FIT IS IMPORTANT.
Jeff

William
04-23-2006, 08:37 PM
So is a proper fit very important? It most DEFINETLY is!!!!!

Sandy

http://hometown.aol.com/afhsclass1970/images/curfew%20caveman.jpg

Ugghhh!!!

Fit mmm. Me fit for club. Pain in wrist before. No now. Bashing much more fun. Proper fit yes important. Ugh! Me fit you Sandy.

William ;)

Sandy
04-23-2006, 08:37 PM
Wow. What an identical problems. I am an identical twin. Mybe there were three of us!!

:) Sibling Serotta Sandy :)

Sandy
04-23-2006, 08:39 PM

Ugghhh!!!

Fit mmm. Me fit for club. Pain in wrist before. No now. Bashing much more fun. Proper fit yes important. Ugh! Me fit you Sandy.

William ;)

Are you carrying a club or a drumstick from some prehistoric bird??

:banana: Sandman :banana:

FierteTi52
04-23-2006, 08:56 PM
Wow. What an identical problems. I am an identical twin. Mybe there were three of us!!

:) Sibling Serotta Sandy :)
Sandy,
I think I'm your long lost cousin. Please don't forget to include me in your future estate planning!
Your Favorite Cousin,
Jeff

Sandy
04-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Sandy,
I think I'm your long lost cousin. Please don't forget to include me in your future estate planning!
Your Favorite Cousin,
Jeff

First, you never were my favorite cousin.

Secondly, if you are my long lost cousin, I think it would be best for me that you stayed lost!! :)

:) Sandy :)

William
04-24-2006, 06:02 AM
First, you never were my favorite cousin.

Secondly, if you are my long lost cousin, I think it would be best for me that you stayed lost!! :)

:) Sandy :)

Me real long lost cousin. You have drumstick cousin?

http://www.edwardfrench.com/web%20caveman.jpg

Me cousin too. Hear you have drumstick. Me love you cousin. May have drumstick?? You visit anytime.

Bam! Bam! William ;)

Too Tall
04-24-2006, 07:31 AM
Finger food? Wazzap Willy, you on a diet?

Snandy, they broke the mold. That's all I have to say and don't forget to send the "A"man flowers.

Sandy
04-24-2006, 10:29 AM
Finger food? Wazzap Willy, you on a diet?

Snandy, they broke the mold. That's all I have to say and don't forget to send the "A"man flowers.

I don't know about that. He offered me $100 for my bike. I think that he was going to resell it. :banana:

Actually, I am very appreciative of "A" man's help. In addition to helping solve the problem, he has been very kind to me on rides, not dropping me on climbs, and giving some valuable cycling advice. He is one of the very good guys.

Bambi