PDA

View Full Version : Colnago C40 - Am I too fat for one? And pricing question...

fa63
05-19-2015, 08:57 AM
I have the opportunity to buy a 2003 model C40 with the B-stays. I have always wanted to try one of these, but I am wondering how the frame would feel under my 225 lbs. I read an article where it is mentioned that the frames were optimized for a 80 kg (176 lbs) body weight (which is what I weighed when I last raced 10 years ago, but I doubt I can get much below 200 lbs these days).

Any larger riders here who have spent time on this frame? If so, what were your impressions?

Thanks.

Exonerv
05-19-2015, 09:24 AM
Out of curiosity... Optimized at 176lbs at what frame size? And I would think that power output would be a better determiner of frame flex which would vary greatly from one person at that weight to another.

My son rides a pre-B stay C40 and weighs about 185-190. He says his 64cm C40 flexes a little more than his scandium frame, but is comfortable for all day rides. He's riding on 32 spoke Open Pros.

I'd get it personally if the price is right. There will always be a market for resell.

T-Crush
05-19-2015, 09:32 AM
Had a pre-B stay (A-Stay?) 63cm C-40 a while back when I was in the 240 pound zone. My favorite Colnago ever. Do the deal.

fa63
05-19-2015, 09:39 AM
Out of curiosity... Optimized at 176lbs at what frame size? And I would think that power output would be a better determiner of frame flex which would vary greatly from one person at that weight to another.

That is a good point; I don't know the answer (but if I had to guess I imagine it would be in the 56 cm range). I am also not sure if Colnago optimized for different sizes back in the day.

I had a 1,400 W sprint at one point, but those days are behind me...

ergott
05-19-2015, 09:41 AM
What size frame?

fa63
05-19-2015, 09:45 AM
Good question; size 59. Here is a picture of it:

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m27/fikretatalay/For%20sale/00d0d_5xvrHrRWiXb_600x450_zps5rbxo7ha.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/fikretatalay/media/For%20sale/00d0d_5xvrHrRWiXb_600x450_zps5rbxo7ha.jpg.html)

ergott
05-19-2015, 09:51 AM
You are all good.

texbike
05-19-2015, 09:56 AM
Good question; size 59. Here is a picture of it:

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m27/fikretatalay/For%20sale/00d0d_5xvrHrRWiXb_600x450_zps5rbxo7ha.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/fikretatalay/media/For%20sale/00d0d_5xvrHrRWiXb_600x450_zps5rbxo7ha.jpg.html)

Rabobank colors! Fantastic!

May as well try it...

Texbike

Steve in SLO
05-19-2015, 10:04 AM
I have ridden with Ex Euro pro racer who was up around your weight several years ago. He has ridden a C40 for over 10 years and it never seems to slow down.

Idris Icabod
05-19-2015, 10:06 AM
Mapei rode the C40 at Paris Roubaix, that was always a selling point to me that they didn't switch out the frames like other manufacturers. I've had a C50 and currently have a C59. You should for sure get the C40, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who will say anything negative about the frame.

thwart
05-19-2015, 10:28 AM
You should for sure get the C40, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who will say anything negative about the frame.
You got that right. Picked one up this winter, with the HP chainstays.

Although it's apparently overbuilt for my puny 150 lbs... :rolleyes:

fa63
05-19-2015, 10:36 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. Made an appointment to check the bike out in person this afternoon; we will see how it goes!

crossjunkee
05-19-2015, 11:01 AM
Check it out, take it for a spin, stomp on the cranks with a few hard efforts. If it flexes too much you'll know right away. I've personally found carbon frames flex too much for me if they're not designed around a compact geometry. Everybody has a different riding style though.

For the record you're out of the weight limits for Campy too. Their warranty information states 82kg / 180lbs on certain components. I find that one funny.

fa63
05-19-2015, 06:54 PM
So I went and checked out the bike.

The good:

- The frame seems to be in quite good shape given its age. It has some scrapes and chips etc. but nothing too bad.
- Based on my short test ride, which had a couple punchy hills, the frame felt solid so that answers that question. That said, I couldn't push the bike very hard because of an issue (more on that later).
- It seems like it will fit me quite well.

The bad:

- The bike has Shimano wheels and cassette on it, so the rear shifting was horrific (which is why I couldn't push the bike much). I noticed this in the pictures as well, but wanted to see in person to be sure. The seller didn't seem to know much about the bike. He says he got it from a former co-worker and never rode it. We had a pretty lengthy conversation, and I went over to his house to check the bike out, so I am not worried at all about whether or not the bike is legit (let's say he didn't seem to be hurting for money).
- The components work well, but they are older 9-speed Chorus/Centaur parts. I wonder about how much longer those would last.

So to summarize, it is a 2003 C40 with B-stays and Colnago Star fork in good shape, 9-speed Chorus/Centaur mix, and needs wheels/cassette (and cables/housing). With these in mind, what do you think is a fair price for this bike?

Thanks.

crossjunkee
05-19-2015, 08:29 PM
I'd walk away.

Exonerv
05-19-2015, 08:50 PM
Since they obviously don't play well together, would the owner be willing to sell the bike without the wheelset/cassette for a reduced price? (Keeps you from having to sell them later...)

Or simply subtract the cost of the wheelset/cassette and make him an offer. The UK sites have Zondas for $310 and a 9sp Campy Cassette for $40ish...so $350 off asking - if the asking is reasonable.

From my market research, C-40's can be had complete for $1500-$1800 with 10 speed groups. So, I'm thinking $1200-$1300 would be about right.

jischr
05-19-2015, 08:56 PM
I can't help with a good price, but I paid 1700 six months ago for a B-stay C-40 with all 7800 bits and Campy Proton wheels. I don't know if I over paid or under paid, but its been worth it for me. Bummer that you wouldn't get fully functional bike because of the mixed drive chain. The price should reflect that. And I'm 190-195 lbs.

thwart
05-19-2015, 08:58 PM
what do you think is a fair price for this bike?

Thanks.

$1200-$1500 is about right. The Campy stuff is very durable and the ergos can be rebuilt. BTW, that is an earlier 10-spd carbon crank, and a nice one.

I'd walk away.Do yourself a favor and ride one someday.

KWalker
05-19-2015, 09:03 PM
If you have to ask, then you shouldn't buy it.

fa63
05-19-2015, 09:05 PM
Why is that?

downtube
05-19-2015, 09:13 PM
I ride an 04 C40 - Bstay. I weigh 225 and have had zero issues. I love my bike, it is my go to for long rides. Great bike corners like its on rails.
chuck

texbike
05-19-2015, 09:32 PM

The good:

- The frame seems to be in quite good shape given its age. It has some scrapes and chips etc. but nothing too bad.
- Based on my short test ride, which had a couple punchy hills, the frame felt solid so that answers that question. That said, I couldn't push the bike very hard because of an issue (more on that later).

The bad:

- The bike has Shimano wheels and cassette on it, so the rear shifting was horrific (which is why I couldn't push the bike much). I noticed this in the pictures as well, but wanted to see in person to be sure. The seller didn't seem to know much about the bike. He says he got it from a former co-worker and never rode it. We had a pretty lengthy conversation, and I went over to his house to check the bike out, so I am not worried at all about whether or not the bike is legit (let's say he didn't seem to be hurting for money).
- The components work well, but they are older 9-speed Chorus/Centaur parts. I wonder about how much longer those would last.

So to summarize, it is a 2003 C40 with B-stays and Colnago Star fork in good shape, 9-speed Chorus/Centaur mix, and needs wheels/cassette (and cables/housing). With these in mind, what do you think is a fair price for this bike?

Thanks.

What is the seller asking for the bike as it sits?

As a FYI, I have a Bstay C40 and absolutely love it. It's one of the bikes that I will have a tough time selling.

Texbike

fa63
05-19-2015, 09:36 PM
Seller is asking $1,500.

I just made an offer; I should know shortly if I am the new owner of a C40 or not.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and input.

Rebel_Biker
05-19-2015, 10:09 PM
Seller is asking $1,500.

I just made an offer; I should know shortly if I am the new owner of a C40 or not.

If he does not accept your first offer, throw out a $1k with no wheels or cassette. Especially if you are going to replace them anyway.

texbike
05-19-2015, 10:27 PM
Seller is asking $1,500.

Good luck with it!

If he does not accept your first offer, throw out a $1k with no wheels or cassette. Especially if you are going to replace them anyway.

I was going to suggest $1K as well.

Texbike

KJMUNC
05-19-2015, 10:32 PM
This bike has been for sale on CL in Atlanta for several months. Hopefully the guy is willing to work with you on the price.

I considered offering ~$1k a while back but figured I really didn't need another project (I come to Atlanta for work and was going to pick it up).

Hope you got it....someone needs to ride it!

grawk
05-20-2015, 04:51 AM
A Jtek shiftmate can make the wheels work.

fa63
05-20-2015, 06:15 AM
Alright, looks like we have a deal and I have a Colnago :D

I will post some pictures when I have it all set up. Thanks again everyone for the input.

Exonerv
05-20-2015, 06:26 AM
Nice! Hope you got a great deal.

fa63
05-20-2015, 06:35 AM
I think it was a decent deal; $1,100 for everything.

oldpotatoe
05-20-2015, 06:38 AM

The good:

The bad:

Thanks.

Ya need a Campagnolo compatible rear wheel. Any front and Campagnolo rear der will shift with the Campag 9s ERGO..even a shimano front. So replacement ders aren't an issue. Campag 9s cogsets still made(limited ratios tho-12-23, 13-26, 13-28) but 9s chains are plentiful. Those ERGO if 1999+ are convertible to 10s.

I'd say in the $900-$1200 range..sell the rear wheel..get a new one.

texbike
05-20-2015, 08:28 AM
Alright, looks like we have a deal and I have a Colnago :D

Congratulations - It looks like a beautiful bike and a very reasonable price!

Texbike

wallymann
05-20-2015, 08:29 AM
i have a club-mate that rode a C40, he was comfortably north of 200# and he found the colnago rode "soft". granted, i believe this was a mk2 model, the first with the flared DT. i think a mk3 like you're considering is beefier, but you'll never mistake it for a modern plastic bike with super-fat tube geometry. smaller frames will ride stiffer, as has been mentioned.

that said, i think it more depends on how you ride. do you gravitate toward smooth/souplesse riding or out of the saddle hammering the bike side-to-side?

fwiw...that frame is NOT a 59!!! note the lengthy "freuler" extension to the ST...i ride a 61cm C40 and this looks more like a 62-63cm.

I have the opportunity to buy a 2003 model C40 with the B-stays. I have always wanted to try one of these, but I am wondering how the frame would feel under my 225 lbs. I read an article where it is mentioned that the frames were optimized for a 80 kg (176 lbs) body weight (which is what I weighed when I last raced 10 years ago, but I doubt I can get much below 200 lbs these days).

Any larger riders here who have spent time on this frame? If so, what were your impressions?

Thanks.

thwart
05-20-2015, 08:32 AM

You did good. Framesets are typically going for $700-$1000.

It's a buyer's market right now… especially for a bike that's apparently languished on CL for some time.

fa63
05-20-2015, 08:45 AM
i have a club-mate that rode a C40, he was comfortably north of 200# and he found the colnago rode "soft". granted, i believe this was a mk2 model, the first with the flared DT. i think a mk3 like you're considering is beefier, but you'll never mistake it for a modern plastic bike with super-fat tube geometry. smaller frames will ride stiffer, as has been mentioned.

that said, i think it more depends on how you ride. do you gravitate toward smooth/souplesse riding or out of the saddle hammering the bike side-to-side?

fwiw...that frame is NOT a 59!!! note the lengthy "freuler" extension to the ST...i ride a 61cm C40 and this looks more like a 62-63cm.

I am told I am a pretty smooth rider; I prefer to downshift and maintain cadence instead of mashing on the pedals.

As far as the geometry goes, now you have me wondering... I was going off of the seller's reported measurement of 59 cm C-T for the seat tube. I will go measure things up when I meet the seller later today. Thanks for that.

wallymann
05-20-2015, 09:04 AM
I am told I am a pretty smooth rider; I prefer to downshift and maintain cadence instead of mashing on the pedals.

As far as the geometry goes, now you have me wondering... I was going off of the seller's reported measurement of 59 cm C-T for the seat tube. I will go measure things up when I meet the seller later today. Thanks for that.

colnago carbon frame sizing is measured from BB centerline to the *lower* edge of the seatpin clamp.

http://brown-snout.com/cycling/tech/colnago-carbon-sizing.jpg

those measurement can be cross-referenced with the head-tube length to verify your frame's size/geometry in the colnago geometry chart (http://brown-snout.com/cycling/tech/_ColnagoGeometryReference.pdf).

fa63
05-20-2015, 06:54 PM
I went and picked it up today. Here is a picture with my saddle on it (and mocked up front end; just ignore the spacers etc.):

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/20/f33a4662ff5eb2e8c62475f6b9a7c387.jpg

It turned out to be a 62 Freuler and not a 59 as advertised (thanks to those who pointed it out). I ride bikes with 57-58 cm effective top tubes so it should still work, although the "fistful of seatpost" thing might take some getting used to :)

Now need to find a 9 speed Campy cassette, sort out the stem/handlebar/spacers (and put some pedals on, of course), then take it out for a spin!

grawk
05-20-2015, 07:01 PM
Love the rabobank paint.

wallymann
05-20-2015, 07:21 PM
Love the rabobank paint.

this. rabobanks rocks -- i'm a junkie.

congrats on a great bike, glad it fits!

http://majortaylorcycling.org/bikes/thumbs/walter_colnago_ovalmaster.jpghttp://majortaylorcycling.org/bikes/thumbs/walter_colnago_master-rabobank.jpg