PDA

View Full Version : Panaracer T-Serv vs. RiBMo

fiamme red
05-18-2015, 09:08 PM
Somehow my rear 700x32 T-Serv tire got a 1/2" gash in the sidewall. A boot worked to get me home, but it's time to replace the tire, though the tread is far from worn out.

I like the T-Serv tires. I've had occasional flats on them, but considering that they ride pretty nicely for an urban tire, I'm not complaining.

I've never used RiBMo tires. Any opinions, especially compared to the T-Serv?

I'm also considering Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, which should be more flat-resistant than the T-Serv. How harshly do they ride?

staggerwing
05-18-2015, 10:07 PM
The center section, which is somewhat prominent, on the RiBMo is quite stout compared to a T-Serv. Not a bad tire on a commuter, but for certain, not a lively as a T-Serv. FWIW, I've had both. T-Servs make for good daily beater tires in less than ideal environments. From what I can tell, the T-Serv must come out of the same molds as the Pasela, as it has the same tread pattern. The RiBMo doesn't have much of a tread at all. I still like the Vittoria Randoneur Hyper better, which is more supple, but a little less durable than the T-Serv. The Vittoria also has a reflective sidewall.

No personal data on the Marathon Plus, but by all accounts that I've seen, it favors "bomb proof" over ride. Would be high on the list for multi-thousand kilometer jaunts through third world countries. Not meant as a slight, as I hope to go there some day.

fiamme red
05-19-2015, 11:01 AM
The center section, which is somewhat prominent, on the RiBMo is quite stout compared to a T-Serv. Not a bad tire on a commuter, but for certain, not a lively as a T-Serv. FWIW, I've had both. T-Servs make for good daily beater tires in less than ideal environments. From what I can tell, the T-Serv must come out of the same molds as the Pasela, as it has the same tread pattern. The RiBMo doesn't have much of a tread at all. I still like the Vittoria Randoneur Hyper better, which is more supple, but a little less durable than the T-Serv. The Vittoria also has a reflective sidewall.

No personal data on the Marathon Plus, but by all accounts that I've seen, it favors "bomb proof" over ride. Would be high on the list for multi-thousand kilometer jaunts through third world countries. Not meant as a slight, as I hope to go there some day.Thanks very much for the comparison. I'll probably stick with T-Serv tires for now.

Hank Scorpio
05-19-2015, 11:47 AM
I have a set of T-serv messenger tires that won't fit on any of my bikes. Very limited miles. The front had a small cut which I patched from the inside. If you want them PM me your address. These are the foldable version not the wire bead.

bicycletricycle
05-19-2015, 12:11 PM
RIBMOs are a much stiffer tire, I like the T servs much better.

my daily ride takes 700x35 t servs, The sidewalls always wear out before the tread on these, i have used T servs in 28s for a long time on other bikes and the sidewalls hold up fine. Dont know why but the bigger T servs seem to have sidewall problems IMHO. I am now using some kevlar beaded schwalbe marathons in 700x32. They are nice tires.

m_sasso
05-19-2015, 12:19 PM
Rode single a set of 26 X 1 1/4" RiBMo's fully loaded and self supported across Canada, not a single puncture the entire way. Rotated them once, front to back and the original front is still on the bike. The rear has been replaced with another of the same. At $26.00 each, I would be really hard pressed to find something that worked better.