PDA

View Full Version : Campy mech. geek question for Ole' Potato et al.

rain dogs
05-18-2015, 09:20 AM
I have a lugged steel frame with a Campy 1" threadless headset + Columbus minimal carbon fork I want to use at L'Eroica etc., but change back to the above for most days.

Can I buy a 1" threaded headset, use my 1" threaded steel fork and use the same cups (they look like the same part on both styles headsets) that are pressed into the headtube.... just changing the bearings and top cap/threaded race/locknut parts.

It would be much easier, and likely better for my frame if I didn't have to hammer out the cups a bunch of times.

(I know there are other ways.... like buy a new bike... but this is my solution right now)

Thanks all! :banana:

Lewis Moon
05-18-2015, 09:23 AM
I have a lugged steel frame with a Campy 1" threadless headset + Columbus minimal carbon fork I want to use at L'Eroica etc., but change back to the above for most days.

Can I buy a 1" threaded headset, use my 1" threaded steel fork and use the same cups (they look like the same part on both styles headsets) that are pressed into the headtube.... just changing the bearings and top cap/threaded race/locknut parts.

It would be much easier, and likely better for my frame if I didn't have to hammer out the cups a bunch of times.

(I know there are other ways.... like buy a new bike... but this is my solution right now)

I'd switch to a headset that gives you both options; King? Get a silver one.

oldpotatoe
05-18-2015, 09:25 AM
NI have a lugged steel frame with a Campy 1" threadless headset + Columbus minimal carbon fork I want to use at L'Eroica etc., but change back to the above for most days.

It would be much easier, and likely better for my frame if mI didn't have to hammer out the cups a bunch of times.

Yes you can as the cups for threaded and threadless are indeed the same.

Just gotta buy 2 headsets. As has been mentioned, you can do the same for a CK HS but just buy the appropriate parts rather than a whole headset.

Know a couple of guys going to this year's L'Eroica. I was too except not in the cards. Maybe in 2016. I have a 1985 Ciocc with Nuovo Record...

rain dogs
05-18-2015, 09:36 AM
Thanks. You guys are great...

odd mechanical question solved in mere minutes.

:beer:

thirdgenbird
05-18-2015, 12:42 PM
I've done this as well. A few places used to part out record headsets. Branford may still do it as did a few eBay vendors. I know I got a missing part from Branford a few years ago.

I had record cups from a threaded headset with a chorus threadless top. Still have the silver alloy chorus top cap. Killer part. I can't recall seeing another one.