PDA

View Full Version : Use of Tubular as a spare on clincher rim

sam.g
05-18-2015, 08:55 AM
On this past weekend's group ride a friend's tire blew from a large gash on the side wall. Regardless of the denomination, no currency was adequate to allow inflation of a spare tube. He eventually had to call his wife for a ride home.

I was riding tubulars and had a spare tubular already glued and ready to go, could he have temporarily used my tubular tire on his clincher rim? Also my spare tubie was 21mm and he was running 23mm on his clinchers, would that have caused any issues?

Anyone have any experience on this?

Sam in Cincy

FlashUNC
05-18-2015, 09:12 AM
Only if you hate your friend and want to see him injured.

Not a good idea.

nooneline
05-18-2015, 09:16 AM
Bad idea bad idea bad idea bad idea.

You can put a tubular tire on a clincher rim and you can ride it but I would be very, very, very concerned - and concerned that it would provide a false sense of security.

Better off to get a ride home.

oldpotatoe
05-18-2015, 09:18 AM
On this past weekend's group ride a friend's tire blew from a large gash on the side wall. Regardless of the denomination, no currency was adequate to allow inflation of a spare tube. He eventually had to call his wife for a ride home.

I was riding tubulars and had a spare tubular already glued and ready to go, could he have temporarily used my tubular tire on his clincher rim? Also my spare tubie was 21mm and he was running 23mm on his clinchers, would that have caused any issues?

Sam in Cincy

Well, I don't recommend it but along with packing a clincher with grass to get home, I have put a tubie on a narrow clincher rim and yes, he rode slowly about 2 miles.

echelon_john
05-18-2015, 11:13 AM
I've done it once, and it got me home. Last resort, but doable. No cornering with any speed or hard braking!!!

redir
05-18-2015, 11:26 AM
It works just be very careful.

Auk
05-18-2015, 11:58 AM
It works, done it 3-4 times, and if in the pinch of someone on a group ride who has blown out clincher sidewall, you will look like a hero for being "that guy" who rides tubulars as you get them home.

Dead Man
05-18-2015, 12:09 PM
I would have no reservations whatsoever. Be careful, as stated.

HELL of a lot better than the call of shame.

---

Speaking of this.... has anyone else ever noticed the "clincher PSI" range on some tubular tires? My Vittorias give both tubular and clincher ranges for tire pressure. I've sort of assumed this is for stretching, or maybe they use the same carcass for their tubular as well as open-tubulars... but maybe this is the reason?

ultraman6970
05-18-2015, 12:40 PM
TUbular in clincher rim?? , thats exactly one of the things I havent tried ever, doesnt look like a good idea... it might work tho... but the guy needs to ride super slow.

PJN
05-18-2015, 12:42 PM
What about using the tubie inside the clincher if it fit ala "the system"?

Dead Man
05-18-2015, 01:02 PM
What about using the tubie inside the clincher if it fit ala "the system"?

hmm... Im thinking the tubie would need to be pretty damn skinny, and the clincher would need to be pretty damn wide... and the whole thing would be pretty damn heavy and ride horrible, but talk about puncture resistance!

:banana:

Mark McM
05-18-2015, 01:19 PM
Wolber/Super Champion made a rim called the "Mixte" which was specifically designed to work with either clincher or tubular tires:

http://www.velobase.com/CompImages/Rims/2C5E3FA9-6159-423A-8C9E-AA13A76DDBE7.jpeg

fogrider
05-18-2015, 05:26 PM
once. a buddy blew out a tire 50 miles out. he rode about 15 miles on my tubular and got to a bike shop. the tubular tire was toast. the problem is that the clincher rim has an inside diameter that is smaller than the diameter of a tubular rim so the tire is not securely seated.

Dead Man
05-18-2015, 05:28 PM
once. a buddy blew out a tire 50 miles out. he rode about 15 miles on my tubular and got to a bike shop. the tubular tire was toast. the problem is that the clincher rim has an inside diameter that is smaller than the diameter of a tubular rim so the tire is not securely seated.

What killed the tubie?

Waldo
05-18-2015, 05:51 PM
Tufo makes a tubular clincher. Tire beads to hook onto a clincher rim, but it's also completely enclosed. https://www.westernbikeworks.com/product/tufo-c-elite-ride-25-tubular-clincher

Carry one of those for your friend next time. Or he can use the spare tire around his waist.

pakora
05-18-2015, 06:01 PM
Speaking of this.... has anyone else ever noticed the "clincher PSI" range on some tubular tires? My Vittorias give both tubular and clincher ranges for tire pressure. I've sort of assumed this is for stretching, or maybe they use the same carcass for their tubular as well as open-tubulars... but maybe this is the reason?

I would guess same carcass, as the clincher equivalent will be called "open tubular" and be made the same as a tubular tire (tread glued on to shaped carcass by hand).

unterhausen
05-18-2015, 06:07 PM
if a boot is not available, duct tape on the outside is generally a suitable substitute. Granted, there is no braking on that wheel, but over-cooking turns is not recommended anyway.

moobikes
05-18-2015, 06:31 PM
Obviously just a stop gap but it's fine, just ride slow, brake gently and not ride too far. If nothing else, like Old Spud says, find a suitable boot and stuff the tire with grass/ hay.

05-18-2015, 08:33 PM
I've actually done the stuff-with-grass thing a few times, and a few of those were actually with the green stuff from someone's lawn. You have to know how to roll a paper well to do it with a clincher.

I used to train every evening in Austin with this one rider who loved silver duct tape. We rode tubulars pretty much exclusively back then and if he ran into problems, he pulled the tire off the rim, added a few rounds of duct tape, and reinstalled the tire. He would get a glazed fixation on other people's rear wheel and not notice when we were dodging potholes. When that happened, he'd bore right in. He rode home a few times with duct tape around both the rim and tire. It was also his solution to bald spots on the tire -- there's an extra 500 miles in that thar tire with a little duct tape to help. I thought he was just cheap about his cycling until I saw his wreck of a car and saw duct tape on his auto tires and wiper blades as well.

fogrider
05-18-2015, 08:38 PM
What killed the tubie?

the tire had a slow leak and we had to pump it a few times before getting to the shop...I think it was coming from the valve.

fogrider
05-18-2015, 08:41 PM
Tufo makes a tubular clincher. Tire beads to hook onto a clincher rim, but it's also completely enclosed. https://www.westernbikeworks.com/product/tufo-c-elite-ride-25-tubular-clincher

Carry one of those for your friend next time. Or he can use the spare tire around his waist.

I haven't tried the tubular clincher but from what others have said, they are heavy and don't ride well...so I should carry a spare for my buddy?

ntb1001
05-18-2015, 09:26 PM
I put my spare on a buddies bike years ago just to get home. We did about 25km's. It worked....just went real slow to be safe.

Waldo
05-18-2015, 09:28 PM
I haven't tried the tubular clincher but from what others have said, they are heavy and don't ride well...so I should carry a spare for my buddy?

Yes, you should because when he makes use of it, he'll slow down tremendously and you'll drop him easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bart998
05-19-2015, 10:08 AM
What killed the tubie?

I bet the edge of the rim just tore-up the tire casing.

sjauch2
05-19-2015, 10:23 AM

Sam in Cincy

Yes, it can be done. Just go easy and take the shortest way home.

Vinci
05-19-2015, 01:08 PM

Those are made for clincher rims. They don't have a base tape to glue them onto a tubular rim.

This would be equivalent to carrying a spare clincher for his buddy, since it wouldn't do the OP any good if he got a flat.

I'm sure the buddy would appreciate the gesture and having a domestique... :D

guido
05-19-2015, 01:19 PM
Park makes nice self-adhesive tire boots that work really well... Don't take up a lot of space in the repair kit.

redir
05-19-2015, 03:54 PM
Can you guys better explain the grass/hay trick? :confused:

arcpolo
05-19-2015, 04:04 PM
Do you have a link?

oldpotatoe
05-19-2015, 04:37 PM
Can you guys better explain the grass/hay trick? :confused:

Just like it sounds, stuffing as much grass/hay into tire while on side on a rim...when ya got no tube.