PDA

View Full Version : If the cleats don't fit...

Dr. Doofus
04-23-2006, 12:18 PM
doof has this pair of R7 shoes. they're four years old. they're perfect. they were perfect, until he tried to change cleats before the first race of the year and saw that two screws had fused to the sole threads, and that the ole shoes needed another trip to R7.

doof put off sending 'em in -- cause he had this other pair of new R7s that were sort of doofed-up. they made 'em too narrow and the cleats were to close to the cranks, makin doof's knees wiggle. not good. doof wanted to race, so he put some spacers between the cranks and the pedals, and got to racing. his right knee was wigglin a little -- but it didn't hurt or anything, so doof just kept on doofin.

then doof gets into the real buisness. them 5 and 2 minute intervals. his right knee starts gettin sorta sore after those rides. his right knee goes pop about a week ago.

so now two sets of shoes are going back to R7. one for some tlc. one for a re-work of the toe box and cleat placement. doof is now going to ride his crappy cross bike and huff away on some stupid thingy at the gym for an hour every day. doof's LT is 330w as of today. when doof gets the shoes back, he'll see how much 4-6 weeks of crossin and cross trainin has cost him, in the middle of the flippin racing season.

moral?

doof should have just started his flippin racing season a little later and got the shoes straightened out to start with.

like the foofy-dog guy sez:

"if the cleats don't fit...."

stevep
04-23-2006, 01:00 PM
never wait to fix something, never wait. it is always too late then.

chrisroph
04-23-2006, 01:25 PM
Your shoe/pedal/insole/orthotic system is your most important equipment by far.

My story--20 years ago, I used to have horrific patellar tendinitis with clips and straps. The better condition I achieved, the more knee pain I experienced. One day, the left knee went pop and I was off the bike for a few months. Trip to the DO. We made some hard sporthotic orthotics, and I bought some of the first time pedals in the country. The tendinitis got better and better and I got stronger and stronger. The pain became a thing of the past.

I've gone through several pairs of shoes since then, and have a bunch of nearly new shoes that sit in their boxes or have been given away. But I love my carnac quartz and I have a NIB backup pair.

I've also changed from the original times to the equipes and now to impacts. I tried the latest time pedals but they don't work quite right.

About 4 years, with the orthotics getting a little long in the tooth, I went back to Dr. Ralph for some new orthotics. We made some softies, which are the current vogue but they were never as good as the sporthotics and they sit in a drawer.

I'd give up every piece of gear I own before my shoes/orthotics/pedals.

Hope you get the R7's back soon and that the second pair is tweked properly.

Dr. Doofus
04-23-2006, 02:55 PM
hopefully dean and co will get them done in 4 weeks

doof's feet are really horrid -- he even had problems with 'em as a swimmer (swimmers can grok this -- doof was allright in the 200 breast...his feet have no arches worthy of the name, and can't dorsalflex worth a crap. plantar flexion he has in spades, for a wicked breast kick...but any other kind of kicking -- free, fly, back -- gave him tendonitis in his feet). orthodics in all his shoes, and custom cycling shoes since '88....

anyway...did 90 minutes of warm dry fast 'cross in some mtb shoes that sort of kind of work with orthodics in 'em. doof will lose leg speed but have some evil handling skills and 50-minute crit power come june....

Dr. Doofus
04-23-2006, 02:56 PM
hey you mech types:

is there enough axle and thread for doof to run a spacer between the crank arm and an egg beater pedal?

mdeeds71
04-23-2006, 04:47 PM
Depending on the size of the spacer you may have a larger worry of the arm being to long for the pedal to withstand and snap! I had that happen on a pair of spd pedals a while ago...

Fixed
04-23-2006, 06:14 PM
hopefully dean and co will get them done in 4 weeks

doof's feet are really horrid -- he even had problems with 'em as a swimmer (swimmers can grok this -- doof was allright in the 200 breast...his feet have no arches worthy of the name, and can't dorsalflex worth a crap. plantar flexion he has in spades, for a wicked breast kick...but any other kind of kicking -- free, fly, back -- gave him tendonitis in his feet). orthodics in all his shoes, and custom cycling shoes since '88....

anyway...did 90 minutes of warm dry fast 'cross in some mtb shoes that sort of kind of work with orthodics in 'em. doof will lose leg speed but have some evil handling skills and 50-minute crit power come june....
bro when i swam in high school they lined everybody up ..those with feet that pointed out were told welcome your now a breast stroker . cool tea shirts b.s. make better lovers
cheers

Grant McLean
04-23-2006, 06:16 PM
bro when i swam in high school they lined everybody up ..those with feet that pointed out were told welcome your now a breast stroker . cool tea shirts b.s. make better lovers
cheers

hey bro, how is your foot feeling?

g

Fixed
04-23-2006, 06:26 PM
bro thanks i'm good as new did 4 hours this am came home.. took my jr racer out for a fast hour so i got 5 hours in.. rode miele it's a good city steet race bike i.m.h.o. I feel great down to one group ride a week ..I'm takin the advise of my forum mates
.bro what did you do today? and which of those wonderful bikes did you ride . oh yeah chick corea is coming to town i hope to get tickets
cheers

catulle
04-23-2006, 06:32 PM
I hope you get well soon, Dr. Doof.

Grant McLean
04-23-2006, 06:34 PM
.bro what did you do today? and which of those wonderful bikes did you ride .
cheers

It has rained all weekend, darn it!

g

Too Tall
04-23-2006, 07:28 PM
Fodo...I can get the fused screw out faster than 4 weeks for cryin' out loud. Send em. That is just a basic T bolt under the insole. If need be I'd drill the fkr out and get a new one from Ace Hardware. Unless there are other problems I am more than glad to take care of yah pal.

Dr. Doofus
04-24-2006, 05:21 AM
tall unit:

lemme e-mail dean at r7. they'll need the old shoes for a few days to get the toe box measurement and cleat placement so they can rework the 2005 pair.

if he says it would take em a few more days to get the screw out, blah, blah, then the shoes may take a side trip to apeland, yo