PDA

View Full Version : Coppi - Bartali

wc1934
05-16-2015, 03:17 PM
Easy interesting read - not sure how much of it it factual.

http://drmirkin.com/histories-and-mysteries/fausto-coppis-mysterious-death.html

FlashUNC
05-16-2015, 04:09 PM
It was malaria, sadly.

Md3000
05-16-2015, 07:02 PM
This is a really great book about coppi, also discusses the rivalry with bartali, his death and some real interesting war stories. While in algeria a British cycling fan realized he was getting a hair cut from the greatest cyclist in the world!!

http://www.amazon.com/Fallen-Angel-Passion-Cycling-Classics/dp/0224074504

zmudshark
05-16-2015, 07:11 PM
This framed poster hangs in my bedroom:

http://imagecache5d.art.com/Crop/cropwm.jpg?img=-35-3599-EHR2F00Z&x=0&y=0&w=1000&h=1000&size=2&maxw=1440&maxh=822&q=100

CheshireCat
05-16-2015, 08:34 PM
It was malaria, sadly.

especially because it's so easy to treat.

and yet it still kills lots of people.

mosquitos are jerks.

FlashUNC
05-16-2015, 08:35 PM
especially because it's so easy to treat.

and yet it still kills lots of people.

mosquitos are jerks.

Gemiani's doctors were able to spot it. Coppi's weren't. Universe is a cruel place sometimes.

MattTuck
05-16-2015, 08:40 PM
This framed poster hangs in my bedroom:

http://imagecache5d.art.com/Crop/cropwm.jpg?img=-35-3599-EHR2F00Z&x=0&y=0&w=1000&h=1000&size=2&maxw=1440&maxh=822&q=100

When is Rapha going to bring back the short shorts look? :banana:

That is too bad about Coppi. However, Bartali was the better rider -- just the fact that the war obscured his palmares by canceling the races he would have won.

FlashUNC
05-16-2015, 08:42 PM
When is Rapha going to bring back the short shorts look? :banana:

That is too bad about Coppi. However, Bartali was the better rider -- just the fact that the war obscured his palmares by canceling the races he would have won.

Coppi everyday and twice on Sunday. War stole good years from Coppi too.

MattTuck
05-16-2015, 08:51 PM
Coppi everyday and twice on Sunday. War stole good years from Coppi too.

Reading that article, I was surprised that Coppi had so many injuries. Broken femur, pelvis, collar-bone... I'm not sure what the medical technology of the day allowed, but it is a testament to the man that he was able to ride at the pro level again after (especially) the lower body injuries.

As to Bartali vs. Coppi, I think it is one for the ages. It would be interesting to see some statistical analysis of the topic. What were the results when they lined up against each other? I know that Bartali had atleast one TDF that he could have won but the fascists screwed him. And I believe there were some intra-team dynamics that complicated things. Obviously, we can't go and rewrite history with "could haves", but it would be interesting.

The thing that makes me laugh about that period is how the 'doctors' were so wrong about nutrition and training. They were having these guys eat steaks for energy and smoke cigarettes to relax their lungs. If one of these guys had modern training and nutrition methods, he would have probably won every race he entered.

FlashUNC
05-16-2015, 08:58 PM
Reading that article, I was surprised that Coppi had so many injuries. Broken femur, pelvis, collar-bone... I'm not sure what the medical technology of the day allowed, but it is a testament to the man that he was able to ride at the pro level again after (especially) the lower body injuries.

As to Bartali vs. Coppi, I think it is one for the ages. It would be interesting to see some statistical analysis of the topic. What were the results when they lined up against each other? I know that Bartali had atleast one TDF that he could have won but the fascists screwed him. And I believe there were some intra-team dynamics that complicated things. Obviously, we can't go and rewrite history with "could haves", but it would be interesting.

The thing that makes me laugh about that period is how the 'doctors' were so wrong about nutrition and training. They were having these guys eat steaks for energy and smoke cigarettes to relax their lungs. If one of these guys had modern training and nutrition methods, he would have probably won every race he entered.

First man to win the Giro and the Tour in the same year. Record number of Lombardy wins.

The 1946 Milan-San Remo is the stuff of legend.

At his peak, nobody was better than Coppi.