PDA

View Full Version : Tubular Spares: Tufo Elite 130/160

pjmsj21
05-15-2015, 03:52 PM
OK....I have at least for now mastered the black art of gluing tubulars as of last night. I will put in some Orange Seal in to pre-empt some flats but don't feel comfortable going without a spare.

I have gone through past posts about this subject and it appears as if the Tufo Jet 135 or 160 track tubular tires are suggested as small, get you home, type spares. At 19mm are they too small for some of the wider tubular rims such as the HED's C2 Belgiums?

oldpotatoe
05-15-2015, 04:13 PM
OK....I have at least for now mastered the black art of gluing tubulars as of last night. I will put in some Orange Seal in to pre-empt some flats but don't feel comfortable going without a spare.

I have gone through past posts about this subject and it appears as if the Tufo Jet 135 or 160 track tubular tires are suggested as small, get you home, type spares. At 19mm are they too small for some of the wider tubular rims such as the HED's C2 Belgiums?

Yes. Get a Vittoria Junior, squeeze the air out and roll it up. Pre glue it also.

Even with goop in your tires, carry a spare and a thin, narrow track tubie as a spare...what if 'get home' is the farthest away from home on a out/back?

pjmsj21
05-15-2015, 04:33 PM
Peter

Vittoria lists the Junior as a 26" tire? I assume you are saying that it can stretch to fit on a standard road rim?

fogrider
05-15-2015, 09:00 PM
Peter

Vittoria lists the Junior as a 26" tire? I assume you are saying that it can stretch to fit on a standard road rim?

No. a 26" tire won't work, it will not stretch that much. tufo tires are crazy light...the S3 is available in a 21 and weighs a few grams more. I'm pretty sure even in a 21 it won't fully cover the width of some of these wide rims but should be good to get you home. I wouldn't worry about the extra weight of spare tire. after repairing a few flats, I carry the repaired tires for spares.

oldpotatoe
05-16-2015, 06:38 AM
Peter

Oppps, too long outta bike shop. I guess the Rally..or a Conti Giro..but just a $35 tubie as a spare. NO don't use a 26inch tubie on a 700c tubular. Don't use a thin track tubie as a spare.

old fat man
05-16-2015, 07:23 AM
I'm carrying a schwalbe montello as a spare and it folds up nicely under my saddle. I bought some vittoria rally's but the big surprise was that they don't have removable valve cores. Luckily I have some valve extenders to work in that scenario, but you can't put sealant in the rally's. For $15 from ribble I guess that's an ok compromise.

teleguy57
05-16-2015, 12:08 PM
Oppps, too long outta bike shop. I guess the Rally..or a Conti Giro..but just a $35 tubie as a spare. NO don't use a 26inch tubie on a 700c tubular. Don't use a thin track tubie as a spare.

Not to contradict a guru; however, the Rally does not have a removable valve stem core so you cannot use an extended for today's mid-depth or deeper rims so it is appropriate only for traditional low-profile rims. Haven't seen the Giro to see what that has for valve stem.

I currently have some lighly used 22mm Conti Sprinters as spares. They fold up pretty well; I can tuck on in an Arundel Tubi bag, and with some work can get both of the in a Jandd Dual bag (for when I'm doing longer self-supported rides). I also carry a valve core removal tool and small bottle of Stan's in a jersey pocket as first resort, with the spare(s) as second resort. Cell phone is #3:)

05-16-2015, 01:40 PM
The advantage of all the Tufo tubulars is two-fold -- they fold very flat with relatively little weight, and they are hard to puncture. As Tater and others said, once you're on your spare, you have no options left.

Get one of the extra-light track tubulars as a second backup tire. It packs into nothing and is just there as a last-ditch get-home expediency. I'd recommend the S3 Pro as the best of the intermediate tires from Tufo -- it's actually half-way supple but light, compact, and puncture resistant. I tend to use repaired or worn tires from prior use as spares, but when I'm traveling or when I need something for a particularly long or far-away ride, I'll pull out an S3 Pro. That plus one of the 130 gm track tubulars is a good way to be sure you get home. The track tubulars aren't the best diameter on a Hed Belgium tubular rim, but they get you home.

lhuerta
05-16-2015, 02:30 PM
...I carry a pre glued and used Conti Sprinter (as @11.4 said, they fold up relatively compact), with a multitool wedged in between the fold, mounted with a toe strap (of course) to saddle, with two CO2 cartridges wedged underneath my seat (it all stays in their tight and compact with toe strap). I also carry small bottle of Bontrager TLR sealant in my jersey and on long rides I simply carry a second Conti Sprinter in my jersey pocket.

fogrider
05-17-2015, 03:11 AM

the rally and the giro are the worst tires, I tried a few back in the day. for some reason they just flated way too easy.

oldpotatoe
05-17-2015, 05:38 AM
the rally and the giro are the worst tires, I tried a few back in the day. for some reason they just flated way too easy.

Machine made in Thailand and for a spare only..BUT these days, I just put a 'normal' tire into rotation as a spare. PreGlue and wrap up a Corsa Elite..when I flat(which is seldom, knock on wood), spare goes on..get home, reglue, wrap up another Elite..I still have a sprinter or 2 still..one of those goes into my cut off water bottle when I gotta carry 2 spares(when I can't get stuck out)..but that happens seldom also. I have had 2 flats on one ride only 3 times since 1985.

merckx
05-17-2015, 06:01 AM
I prefer a road tire that has been previously mounted and slightly used. It will be easy to remount when used as a spare, have some residual glue on the base tape, and will have some meat on it if you have to pedal a distance to get home.