PDA

View Full Version : I'm impatient

milkbaby
05-15-2015, 03:13 PM
rePhil listed a really nice Carl Strong steel frame in the classifieds that looked absolutely lovely and seemed too much of a bargain for me to pass up. It'll be my first steel bike since I was a teenager in the 1980s, and that one was a super heavy hi-tensile steel tank (I still have it). My original plan was to search for bargains and slowly accumulate all the parts for the build, maybe go for a bit of a retro flair with a Campy Athena silver gruppo on it. Slavishly scouring the classifieds I got a silver Thomson stem from slingshot as the first part for the build, but then my impatience got the best of me.

Out of curiosity, I was googling "Campagnolo Athena group set" and found a good deal from UK vendor, about $500 but for the black version. Seemed like too good a deal to pass up so after confirming that I couldn't easily find as good a deal on the silver or black groupset, I wound up putting in the online basket and then buying it...

Not having even received the tracking notice I am having some buyer's remorse since it's not the silver gruppo I was originally set on, and then I happened to look up servicing the Power Torque bb bearings which is way more trouble than I realized. Now I feel like I should get some wheels quickly to slap everything together to ride the darn bike. And here I was thinking this would be a few months of keeping an eye out for goodies to add to my stash and build it up the way I originally was envisioning it. I'm my own worst enemy! :help:

Just venting... first world problems. :banana:

4Rings6Stars
05-15-2015, 03:34 PM
ahh, the things we stress about!

Last I checked silver Athena was under $500 from Ribble...

I would for piecing together personally. New silver Athena RD. Older silver ultra torque crankset if you can find one / Record square taper if you cant. Silver ultrashift FD, Chorus Ultrashift ergos... (or just buy a full alloy 9 or 10 speed campy group)

thirdgenbird
05-15-2015, 03:41 PM
Without seeing the frame, I can't comment black vs silver, but if I were going silver, I would also piece it together.

I would be tempted to go with:
New Athena ergos (cheap, all silver, eps style thumb lever)
New Athena derailleurs (readily avalible)
alloy chorus/record crankset/bb (I wouldn't be against getting the Arhena PT just to swap rings)
Pre skeleton record ti brakes (beautiful, better quality than current Athena, lots of clearance)

milkbaby
05-15-2015, 03:58 PM
Last I checked silver Athena was under $500 from Ribble...

Darn it! It was showing "out of stock" when I was on there last night, but now it's in stock. I *am* too impatient!!! :bike:

thirdgenbird
05-15-2015, 04:38 PM
Maybe worth buying a group and reselling???

I still want a picture of the frame. I'm a huge silver fan, but some frames beg for black.

milkbaby
05-15-2015, 05:00 PM
Some pics from the original classified:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697899935&stc=1&d=1430834779

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697899939&stc=1&d=1430834824

I was originally thinking silver groupset, seatpost, stem, rims, pedals and then white saddle and bar tape. If I do the build with the black Athena gruppo that's on the way I'm debating sticking with the silver seatpost and stem, still leaning towards white saddle and tape tho I guess maybe going all black might look the slickest... I'm not sure I want to bother switching out the headset to a silver one.

ehhhhhhh at least this is a good problem to have, right? :)

vav
05-15-2015, 08:26 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=168076

thirdgenbird
05-15-2015, 09:48 PM
After seeing the frame, I vote all black. As stated I'm a silver fan, but black will complement the fork and contrast the silver on the frame.

All black does a great job at making a frame like that stand out.

What wheelset are you using? A silver stem/post and black group may work nicely if you have silver hubs/spokes.

Tony
05-15-2015, 11:49 PM
After seeing the frame, I vote all black.

Yes, all black!

thirdgenbird
05-16-2015, 12:10 AM
Yes, all black!

Yeah, if I were building it, I'm pretty sure I would go all black parts, black saddle, black tape, king cages, and tan sidewall tires.

R3awak3n
05-16-2015, 07:32 AM
Yeah, if I were building it, I'm pretty sure I would go all black parts, black saddle, black tape, king cages, and tan sidewall tires.

100% agreed as per usual.

milkbaby
05-16-2015, 05:30 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=168076

I dunno how I missed that because I probably would've snatched it up. Oh well!

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, I guess I feel a lot better about the choice of black now! :banana: