PDA

View Full Version : Does using a PF30 to Campy adaptor cup increase Q factor?

stackie
05-15-2015, 12:25 PM
Title pretty much sums it up. Getting PF 30 frame. Better to spec Over Torque crank, or Super Record to match rest of group and use the Parkee adaptor cups? Super record gets me CULT bearings, but I'm afraid of increasing the Q factor with the Parlee cups.

TIA

Jon

teleguy57
05-15-2015, 12:58 PM
I found the Praxis adapter to work better than the Parlee cups, which work better than the Campy OEM (although there may be a newer Campy design now).

I didn't see a change in q-factor. The hirth joint is still bolted tightly together in the center of the BB so the crank dimensions don't change. If the q factor were to be larger that would mean the joint had space in it, which would be a bad thing.

Liberace
05-15-2015, 01:01 PM
Wouldn't it be the same as on a regular BS bb shell? The crank's axle is not getting longer.

firerescuefin
05-15-2015, 01:53 PM
Q factor of those cranks will not change with the adapter.

eBAUMANN
05-15-2015, 01:56 PM
Nope.

The axle on a crankset is the same length no matter what the bb system might be.

Q factor only changes if the spindle of the crankset changes in dimensions.

stackie
05-15-2015, 01:58 PM
Duh. Facepalm. That makes total sense.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Anyone care to comment whether they would go Over Torque for the bigger spindle or Super Record for the better bearings?

Jon

eBAUMANN
05-15-2015, 02:15 PM
Duh. Facepalm. That makes total sense.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Anyone care to comment whether they would go Over Torque for the bigger spindle or Super Record for the better bearings?

Jon

I can tell you why I WOULDNT go overtorque - more expensive tools to buy...

thirdgenbird
05-15-2015, 02:26 PM
I would go with the standard crankset on the basis that it allows you to use a well regarded praxis adaptor and it will fit more frames down the line. Besides, I kind of like the 2015 crankset....