PDA

View Full Version : Legs twitching...

sirroada
05-15-2015, 11:46 AM
Its strange, I turned 40 this year and its been downhill since. Overall, I'm in good shape but I have noticed a lot of muscle twitching, primarily in my legs since a long bike ride 50 miles this past weekend. It seemed to be aggravated by climbing up and down a ladder about 15 times to fix my garage two days ago. When I go to bed at night I can feel my legs (and other muscles) twitching (painlessly). Occasionally, they twitch during the day too. I also have a creepy crawly feeling in my thighs. I will say my hams and gluts are sore today too. Not sure what this is but its beginning to worry me (scheduled an appointment with a nuero). I'm wondering if anyone else has had a week long episode of shaky, twitchy muscles following a super hard exertion early in the year?

Kirk Pacenti
05-15-2015, 11:59 AM
Low potassium (hypokalaemia)?

alessandro
05-15-2015, 12:18 PM
Low potassium (hypokalaemia)?

That's a good place to start--have a banana :banana:

It could be restless leg syndrome: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restless_legs_syndrome

More likely you're just sore--it's still early season (for those of us north of the 37th parallel, and it's been less than a week. Take some iron and do some stretching.

MattTuck
05-15-2015, 12:25 PM
I get that sometimes. I thought it was the sign of a good workout. :eek:

donevwil
05-15-2015, 12:28 PM
That's a good place to start--have a banana :banana:

It could be restless leg syndrome: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restless_legs_syndrome

More likely you're just sore--it's still early season (for those of us north of the 37th parallel, and it's been less than a week. Take some iron and do some stretching.

I have RLS (as did my father), the OP's symptoms appear to be something else. I think the potassium, dehydration angle makes the most sense. If RLS, an easily digestible calcium supplement with magnesium to promote absorption works for me. I double the dosage as needed, not often.

soulspinner
05-15-2015, 12:32 PM
My calves have always twitched noticeably. Not the rest of me though:confused: I take magnesium for cramps etc but noticed no difference with the calf twitching...

Kingfisher
05-15-2015, 12:33 PM
Calves always done it..for 30 years or so. I just thought it was a sign of a good workout. It goes away after a few hours.

ergott
05-15-2015, 12:46 PM
http://i1.cpcache.com/product_zoom/476787704/jimmy_legs_tshirt.jpg?height=250&width=250&padToSquare=true

phcollard
05-15-2015, 02:40 PM
I get that sometimes. I thought it was the sign of a good workout. :eek:

Same here. I did some good riding in Belgium last summer and everytime I went to bed after a ride my legs were twitching like I was a zombie. I actually found it funny.

bagochips3
05-15-2015, 03:00 PM
I get twitchy legs at night on high-effort days. Some cyclist at some point in my past recommended aspirin before bed and that takes care of it for me. But my twitchy legs only happen the same night as a hard day, not for a week.

93legendti
05-15-2015, 03:17 PM
Drink more water, especially after the hard rides.

Louis
05-15-2015, 03:19 PM
Back when I was a newbie mine used to do that for a while after a ride, but haven't in at least 20 years.

(IOW, the ground doesn't shake anymore for me...)

RobJ
05-15-2015, 03:23 PM
I get twitchy legs at night on high-effort days. Some cyclist at some point in my past recommended aspirin before bed and that takes care of it for me. But my twitchy legs only happen the same night as a hard day, not for a week.

As others have noted, but magnesium is often the one overlooked that is supposed to help as well. I have always found ibuprofen before bed works well on the hard effort days or when the legs are feeling stressed.

Shortsocks
05-15-2015, 03:45 PM
Drink more water, especially after the hard rides.

As odd as it sounds. My nutritionist always told me more water more water! Specially if one trains a lot. I wish as a youngster I realized how important water is.

Jgrooms
05-15-2015, 05:05 PM
40 & all down hill?

F150
05-15-2015, 07:24 PM
40 & all down hill?

+1. Welcome!

false_Aest
05-15-2015, 07:38 PM
Both my dad's gf (pharmacist) and my GP (sports physician) have said that most people don't have potassium deficiencies and then both suggested I supplement Mg.

Anecdotal evidence that this works: me, my old team mates, a co-worker in his 60s, and one of my students who wants to be a body builder.

soulspinner
05-16-2015, 09:58 AM
40 & all down hill?

:p