PDA

View Full Version : Tire question

tjk23
05-15-2015, 07:30 AM
I've been running Schwalbe Ones for a while now and I'm looking to try another tire. The top choice right now is the Continental GP4000s ii. Has anyone here ridden both the Schwalbe and the Continental? Just wondering which you prefer and why.

oldpotatoe
05-15-2015, 07:40 AM
I've been running Schwalbe Ones for a while now and I'm looking to try another tire. The top choice right now is the Continental GP4000s ii. Has anyone here ridden both the Schwalbe and the Continental? Just wondering which you prefer and why.

Haven't tried the Schwalbe but I have GP4000 on my wet weather Moots..might try either Vittoria OpenCorsa(very nice) or Rubino Pro..Very supple, long wearing..not as 'harsh' as Conti.

AngryScientist
05-15-2015, 07:44 AM
unless there is something wrong with the schwalbe's, or they are worn out, there is definitely nothing to be gained going to the conti tires, they will ride nearly identical.

IMO, there are basically three classes of clincher tires:

1) open tubulars: including the veloflex corsa/master, vittoria open corsa, etc. these ride by far the best with the most supple casing. they are generally the most delicate, but certainly do OK on the road

2) training "nice" tires: your schwalbe's, the conti 4k's, vittoria rubino pro, etc. good durable training tires that ride well, but not as supple as class 1 tires

3)durable tires: conti gatorskins, panaracer pasela, etc. - made for durability and puncture resistance. generally heavier and dont ride as nicely as class 1 or 2.

that's a big generality, and tire size and inflation pressure has as much effect as anything else, but all else equal - different tires in each of the classes above will ride very similarly.

OtayBW
05-15-2015, 08:04 AM
1) open tubulars: including the veloflex corsa/master, vittoria open corsa, etc. these ride by far the best with the most supple casing. they are generally the most delicate, but certainly do OK on the road

The way I would define 'delicate' in this case, based on my experience, is tendency for rapid treadwear. I've never had a problem with flatting in either the open corsas or the veloflex. Expensive, but for me, worth the trade-off....

Fishy1923
05-15-2015, 08:07 AM
I've always liked the gp's (haven't tried the "ii" yet). Many say they are the fastest clincher tire (check sites like slowtwitch as there are many posts about the tire/test/comparisons etc). Good rolling resistance, decent puncture protection and good in wet conditions.

JimmyTango
05-15-2015, 08:53 AM
I haven't ridden Schwalbe Ones, but I have ridden many others and have yet to find anything that equals the GP4000s in terms of traction.

Vitorria open corsas feel more supple, but damn the contis hook up!

tlittlefield
05-15-2015, 09:12 AM
I have ridden all of the variations of the Conti GP's over the years. On occasion I will try something else that may be on sale but always go back to the GP's.

Best bang for your buck tire out there!!

metalheart
05-15-2015, 09:23 AM
I am currently riding the Schawble One in 25mm and it is a very comfortable and grippy tire. Prior to the One's I rode the Conti 4000s, also 25mm, and it is equally comfortable and grippy. The One has been durable so far, no flats and decent wear after about 3k miles. I went through several sets of the 4000s with some lasting 3-5k and others 2-3k.

I am interested in trying the more supple tires and might give the Compass Cayuse or Gand Bois a try.

Jesper64
05-15-2015, 09:38 AM
It's hard to go pass the the GP4000S II