PDA

View Full Version : How to silence disc brakes?

tuxbailey
05-14-2015, 04:14 PM
I got new brakes (Shimano Deore) for the new to me mountain bike near the end of last season. I rode it a few times before winter and everything was fine. Took it out this Spring and whenever I apply a full stop the front brake squeak really loud but stop fine.

Do you have any advice on how to silence it? Replace pads? Resurface rotors? Take it to the shop?

Thanks in advance.

guido
05-14-2015, 04:28 PM
Threaten to replace them with rim brakes...

:fight:

azrider
05-14-2015, 04:48 PM
subscribing..........

Louis
05-14-2015, 04:50 PM
I know next to nothing about bike disc brakes, but is there something like "removing the glazing" from the disc for stuff (e.g. oxidation) that might accumulate over time if the bike just sits there with the brakes unused?

CMiller
05-14-2015, 05:02 PM
Try to clean the rotors with some rubbing alcohol and possibly sand the pads a bit.

Also, do a lot of fast and hard stops to embed the brake pad in more.

Idris Icabod
05-14-2015, 05:19 PM
As above, clean pads and rotors with isopropanol.

twors
05-14-2015, 05:22 PM
The SLX brakes on my Niner MCR were super loud, pulled the original sintered metallic pads and replaced with TruckerCo semi-metallic pads and they have been problem free since.

peanutgallery
05-14-2015, 05:28 PM
As othwrs have said

You have something on them, clean with dawn and recenter if needed

The sponges with the green scrubee work really well

GeorgeTSquirrel
05-14-2015, 06:16 PM
Verify wheel is centered in drop outs.
Clean and/or replace pads.
Clean rotor and check trueness.
If necessary, reset the brake pad pistons per instructions (look them up).

Low end hydraulics tend to be a p.i.t.a., especially if you remove a wheel on a regular basis.

Are you getting a light squeak or does it sound like a train wreck? If it's the train wreck, you'll know what I'm talking about, in which case, replace the pads.

christian
05-14-2015, 06:59 PM
If Shimano, clean with isopropanol.

If Avid/SRAM, replace with Shimano.

tkbike
05-14-2015, 08:22 PM
Two bikes with XTR race and one with SRAM Guide, I would like to know why you think they should be replaced with Shimano? Modulation and stopping power equal to if not better with the Guide and set-up the same or easier than the XTR's. If Shimano, clean with isopropanol.

Cat3roadracer
05-14-2015, 09:35 PM
If Shimano, clean with isopropanol.

This is funny but true. I have XTR discs on a bike and they could stop a truck. Quietly. A quality product.

jtakeda
05-14-2015, 09:56 PM
Isopropyl is the trick for me.

I'm using TRP spyre and if they get loud, alky wipe and done.

tuxbailey
05-14-2015, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the help!

I tried cleaning with alcohol and it stills makes quite a bit of noise. I did try sanding the pads and rotors a bit and bit not much improvement. I might just to try some new pads and see if it helps.

Satellite
05-14-2015, 11:07 PM
I got new brakes (Shimano Deore) for the new to me mountain bike near the end of last season. I rode it a few times before winter and everything was fine. Took it out this Spring and whenever I apply a full stop the front brake squeak really loud but stop fine.

Do you have any advice on how to silence it? Replace pads? Resurface rotors? Take it to the shop?

Thanks in advance.

Tuxbailey,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, there is one-way but it is expensive. I tried everything to silence my disk brakes too. My buddy that works at the Colorado Cyclist went through the same thing, and he shared the secret with me.

BUY XTR! Believe me because I didn't believe my buddy, I told him he was crazy. I tried everything, I was obsessed with proving him wrong. Turns out every other disk brake makes horrible noise nothing you can do. Is it a conspiracy to sell XTR (maybe because it's the only thing that will work)? Simple, XTR's are the best Disk Brakes on the market, yesterday and today and probably tomorrow too.

Sorry if this has already been discussed I read the first post and went to answer right away, because I have been there, drove me completely batty.

Satellite

davidb
05-14-2015, 11:13 PM
The Park DT-5:
http://www.parktool.com/product/disc-brake-mount-facing-set-dt-5

Many bicycles just do not align the caliper(s) with the rotor. One can chase pads, cleaning rotors, beeding, sanding on and on if things do not line up. It may squeak.

tuxbailey
05-14-2015, 11:42 PM
So much involved with disc brakes...

tuxbailey
05-14-2015, 11:43 PM
Tuxbailey,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, there is one-way but it is expensive. I tried everything to silence my disk brakes too. My buddy that works at the Colorado Cyclist went through the same thing, and he shared the secret with me.

BUY XTR! Believe me because I didn't believe my buddy, I told him he was crazy. I tried everything, I was obsessed with proving him wrong. Turns out every other disk brake makes horrible noise nothing you can do. Is it a conspiracy to sell XTR (maybe because it's the only thing that will work)? Simple, XTR's are the best Disk Brakes on the market, yesterday and today and probably tomorrow too.

Sorry if this has already been discussed I read the first post and went to answer right away, because I have been there, drove me completely batty.

Satellite

That would be nice but the XTR is almost as much as the amount I paid for the bike...

Satellite
05-14-2015, 11:58 PM
That would be nice but the XTR is almost as much as the amount I paid for the bike...

Oh I know, but my sanity was worth way more, and it was ruining what was otherwise a stress free enjoyable ride. My other brakes stopped great they just howled like a scalded monkey (what ever that sounds like).:eek:

Let me know if you figure it out, and then patent the process.;)

oldpotatoe
05-15-2015, 06:16 AM
So much involved with disc brakes...

But, but, but they are as easy as cantis/Vs or road calipers..set and forget, any wheel, any time, easy swaps, the future ya know??

Geeez..get with it will ya? Luddite, curmudgeon, knuckle dragger

I read it here....so there..:eek::):banana::help:

I know a guy in Moab, very hot day, didn't want to use any water..so he peed on his to make them quiet..didn't work, BTW.

Also had a customer who had a rear brake on a Spec-ed with avid juicy..that would not stop squealing. Called spam and Spec-ed..Spec-ed said it was Avid(but they spec-ed the bike), Avid(sram) said it was a soft stay where the caliper lived.

Idris Icabod
05-15-2015, 09:03 AM

I have XTR on my hard tail and XT on my Tallboy, the XTR look cooler but work the same as XT IMHO

zap
05-15-2015, 09:14 AM
But, but, but they are as easy as cantis/Vs or road calipers..set and forget, any wheel, any time, easy swaps, the future ya know??

We agree :banana::):):banana:

But necessary evil on a tandem if one rides in hilly-ish terrain. Canti's can perform very well but for heat build up on long technical descents.

Anyhow, yes, disc brakes on road singles…..I don't understand. Then there is this wider rim nonsense…..

tuxbailey
05-18-2015, 10:36 PM
Update: Following twors' advice, I got a set of tucker organic semi-metallic pads and the initial indoor test is silence.

Not bad for $8. Certainly better than the $30 the bike shop was going to charge for resurfacing the rotor and pads.

Satellite
05-19-2015, 12:06 AM
tuxbailey,

That's great if it works, please let me know how they hold up in the real world conditions of mountain biking; dusty, muddy, gritty, dry, wet, rocks, crashing, banging, bashing, and general trashing. :bike:

Really I am curious how they hold up and if and when the creaking/howling comes back.

Best regards,

Satellite

tuxbailey
05-19-2015, 06:53 AM
I will sure to post back. I am a new/casual mountain bike rider so I expect them to last a season. We will see.

tuxbailey,

That's great if it works, please let me know how they hold up in the real world conditions of mountain biking; dusty, muddy, gritty, dry, wet, rocks, crashing, banging, bashing, and general trashing. :bike:

Really I am curious how they hold up and if and when the creaking/howling comes back.

Best regards,

Satellite