PDA

View Full Version : Bike Parking in Downtown Boston

etu
05-14-2015, 02:45 PM
Going to Boston for a conference and planning to bring my bike along. I was thinking maybe staying in north Cambridge and riding downtown to the Convention Center. Looking on Google maps, looks like there are good bike lanes on the route I am considering.
Anyone know what the bike parking situation is like around the Hynes Convention Center? Risk for bike theft?

EPIC! Stratton
05-14-2015, 03:16 PM
Lots of places to park, but I'd say along Boylston is likely best (lots of folks walking by). That said, avoid QR skewers/seatpost collar if ya can. Be sure to use a U-lock.

Also avoid leaving saddle bag/lights/etc on the bike. Usually ok, but sucks when they go missing.

jwess1234
05-14-2015, 05:26 PM
Maybe call one of the local bike shops like Back Bay Bicycles (Mass Ave and Commonwealth) to see if they can store it, or have any thoughts. Or, you could always arrange for a tuneup while at your conference.

dbh
05-14-2015, 07:01 PM
I wouldn't lock it up all day outside of Hynes. It'll likely be fine, but you'll be worried all day that something will happen.

Louis
05-14-2015, 07:17 PM
Whatever you do, don't put it anywhere near Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, or near the Patriots' practice facility, unless you have a reliable pump. I hear those guys are not to be trusted.

likebikes
05-14-2015, 09:01 PM
ride hubway bicycles around. there's a station in front of the hynes convention ctr on boylston st, and one a block away on newbury st.
there aren't as many stations in north cambridge, but there are a few.

www.thehubway.com

moose8
05-14-2015, 09:09 PM
Hubway is a great idea. If not there are a bunch of bike racks directly across from the Apple Store and in front of the mall that are heavily trafficked and I've never had a problem leaving my bike there. It's like a five minute walk at most to Hynes.

etu
05-14-2015, 09:22 PM
Maybe call one of the local bike shops like Back Bay Bicycles (Mass Ave and Commonwealth) to see if they can store it, or have any thoughts. Or, you could always arrange for a tuneup while at your conference.

great idea.
not sure about needing it a tune up since it is a S&S bike so i basically end up breaking it down and tuning it up with each trip, but i'd be willing to pay for parking.

etu
05-14-2015, 09:23 PM
Whatever you do, don't put it anywhere near Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, or near the Patriots' practice facility, unless you have a reliable pump. I hear those guys are not to be trusted.

LOL, yes, will definitely avoid. i am a fan of wider tires and lower pressures, but the psi on my travel bike definitely needs to at least at the NFL regulation levels.:p

Daveyk
05-14-2015, 09:26 PM

Not funny

Louis
05-14-2015, 09:44 PM
Not funny

1) See this: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1756054&postcount=1302

2) The OP and most other folks on the forum are outside of that radius, so our sense of humor has not been overwhelmed by what is apparently soon to be a Supreme Court case.

3) To quote McNally: “Whats up dorito dink.” ;)

Bob Ross
05-15-2015, 06:21 AM
Anyone know what the bike parking situation is like around the Hynes Convention Center? Risk for bike theft?

The two times in my life that I've had a bike stolen it happened within a three block radius of the Hynes :mad:

4Rings6Stars
05-15-2015, 10:31 AM
The two times in my life that I've had a bike stolen it happened within a three block radius of the Hynes :mad:

The only time it happened to me it was within a few blocks of Hynes too! haha

I was a naive college freshman with a cable lock and a nice shiny trek though, so more or less my own fault.

vav
05-15-2015, 08:44 PM
There is a bike cage at Back Bay Station ( a few blocks walking from Hynes ).

http://bostonbiker.org/files/2012/09/DSC01133-500x375.jpg

I've kept my bikes there with no issues and even seen unlock bikes inside the cage (don't do it)
You need an electronic key for access: https://www.mbta.com/riding_the_t/bikes/register/Default.asp

I have a key that i'd be happy to lend it to you. I work not far from Cambridge.Feel free to PM if you want to go this route.

oldpotatoe
05-16-2015, 07:07 AM

Hillarious!!! well done. :)

etu
05-16-2015, 07:45 AM
There is a bike cage at Back Bay Station ( a few blocks walking from Hynes ).

http://bostonbiker.org/files/2012/09/DSC01133-500x375.jpg

I've kept my bikes there with no issues and even seen unlock bikes inside the cage (don't do it)
You need an electronic key for access: https://www.mbta.com/riding_the_t/bikes/register/Default.asp

I have a key that i'd be happy to lend it to you. I work not far from Cambridge.Feel free to PM if you want to go this route.

This is perfect! Thank you for your generosity. PM to be sent shortly.