PDA

View Full Version : Help. I'm a bib snob.

Hepmike
05-14-2015, 10:00 AM
I need to freshen up my bib collection. I love Rapha- but having a hard time dropping $200-300 each. At that price I could only really afford to add one pair (I could use more then that). In part (aside from the quality imo) the thing I like best about Rapha is the (mostly) understated logo.
I've tried Twin Six, Castelli, I know about (but have not worn) Cadence Collection, Search & State...

Any others I should be looking at, within this ilk? I'm not a fan of the aesthetics of Assos (which are just as pricey as Rapha, anyway).

Thanks!

ultraman6970
05-14-2015, 10:25 AM
One of the forums member told me a few months ago... "there is a reason why their stuff is so expensive" and he did not regret the price at all afterwards.

Havent have the pleasure of used their bibs tho...

wallymann
05-14-2015, 10:29 AM
search high and low to find them. but they're my exclusive go-to bibs.

ntb1001
05-14-2015, 10:33 AM
I've always liked Sugoi.

GRAVELBIKE
05-14-2015, 10:49 AM
The mid-range Louis Garneau bibs are very nice.

PQJ
05-14-2015, 11:17 AM
Giordana Silverline have served me well. On sale at Competitive Cyclist for $120 / pair. Other bibs in my rotation including few pairs of Assos (FI Uno and Mille), acquired 6+ years ago, and still as good as they day I bought them.

berserk87
05-14-2015, 11:26 AM
I've gotten my Rapha bibs with a discount code, and on clearance at that. Mine are the Team Sky pro edition, but I can suffer with the logos for the comfort I have gotten.

I have a couple of sets of Capo bibs that I am digging also. I can't recall the style but I have been impressed with the cost vs. quality and comfort.

veggieburger
05-14-2015, 11:28 AM
I'm a bib snob too. People keep telling me to try Boure bibs, but I have yet to make an order...

donevwil
05-14-2015, 11:43 AM
I have Assos, Castelli, Descente, Exteondo and have tried a few other mid-to-high tier brands (never tried Rapha). The best bibs (comfortable chamois, fit, durable and form flattering) I own are the top of the line Voler from a couple years ago.

One oddity with Voler is that they re-design stuff, change materials and chamois almost yearly, maybe for the better? I don't know.

Mr_Gimby
05-14-2015, 11:47 AM
I've been a huge fan of my KindHuman Klassic bibs. (Link (http://www.kindhuman.cc/shop/mens/mens-bottoms))

When I was on the phone with the sales rep he intimated that they are manufactured by the same people who make the Rapha bibs. He also said that for a serious cyclist the "Pro" and "Basic" stuff wasn't worth it (I work in the industry so he was perhaps a little freer with his opinions!)

Plus the Klassic's look a little like the Raphas with the white cuff rings...

bikerboy337
05-14-2015, 11:49 AM
I've been very happy with the castelli bibs with the X2 Chamois... use both the free aero and the inferno and love them both... getting ready to unload a bunch of my other bibs as these are just so comfortable for me... i dont like their kiss chamois...

jr59
05-14-2015, 11:53 AM
+1 on the Voller's I have a few pair and they are nice.

I really like the top tier Pearl's, but I pretty sure this is a lot like saddles. One style does not work for all.

I have Assos and Raphas and don't really care for them. They are nice, but just nice and not my go to bibs.

CPP
05-14-2015, 11:59 AM
Try Sportful. They own Castelli. Their bib shorts have a different cut/bib strap/ pad than Castelli. They are really nice. Tinkoff Saxo use their stuff
+1 on the Kiss pad. I have to use a ···· load of pad cream with those

Hepmike
05-14-2015, 12:16 PM
I've been a huge fan of my KindHuman Klassic bibs. (Link (http://www.kindhuman.cc/shop/mens/mens-bottoms))

When I was on the phone with the sales rep he intimated that they are manufactured by the same people who make the Rapha bibs. He also said that for a serious cyclist the "Pro" and "Basic" stuff wasn't worth it (I work in the industry so he was perhaps a little freer with his opinions!)

That's a new brand on me. So you are saying stick with the "Klub" or "Klassics" (kuz the others are krap) ((j/k))

MattTuck
05-14-2015, 12:37 PM
Interesting.

My only comment is that you should buy bibs from somewhere that will accept them as a return if they are not comfortable. At $150+, you should be happy with what you get.

Interesting thing, I bought a pair of Giordana Silverline bibs mid-season last year (that I wore frequently) and then a pair at the end of the season. The pad in the older pair is definitely more compressed and less resilient.

It kind of makes me question the longevity of the pads.

sandyrs
05-14-2015, 01:09 PM
Vermarc, Vermarc, Vermarc.

I'm in a club whose kit is all Vermarc and the bibs are exceptionally comfortable. I'm sure their trade merchandise is great as well.

regularguy412
05-14-2015, 01:14 PM
I have a pair of Craft bibs. Chamois may be a lil diaperish for some, but I like it OK. The logo is not garish at all and the price was right. Under $80.

Mike in AR:beer:

djg21
05-14-2015, 01:14 PM
I need to freshen up my bib collection. I love Rapha- but having a hard time dropping $200-300 each. At that price I could only really afford to add one pair (I could use more then that). In part (aside from the quality imo) the thing I like best about Rapha is the (mostly) understated logo.
I've tried Twin Six, Castelli, I know about (but have not worn) Cadence Collection, Search & State...

Any others I should be looking at, within this ilk? I'm not a fan of the aesthetics of Assos (which are just as pricey as Rapha, anyway).

Thanks!

You might look at http://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com. The downside is that is in the UK, and returns can be expensive just for shipping.

I've had great luck with Voler bibs.

veggieburger
05-14-2015, 01:36 PM
Vermarc, Vermarc, Vermarc.

Don't you find their stuff fits incredibly small? Definitely not a brand you want to buy over the internet.

GSG used to be really good. Then they swapped out their top of the line red pad for something different and I stopped buying. Darn shame.

makoti
05-14-2015, 01:40 PM
Never tried Assos or Rapha. Would love to, but the price just stops me. Have a couple sets of Castelli I like a lot. I am very happy with the PI Elite in-r-cool's. Very snug & comfortable for several hours. Not nearly as pricey, either. Gotten some off Amazon for about $60.

Charles M
05-14-2015, 01:43 PM
If you were a Bib-Snob, you would own Assos S7 bibs (equipe or Campionisimo) and wouldn't manage mentioning the other vastly lesser bibs, including Rapha...

19wisconsin64
05-14-2015, 01:50 PM
it's not that i'm a snob, but i can easily justify the price of Assos bib shorts, they fit me perfectly for long and short rides and racing. just amazing.

just purchased the S7 Tiburu, and am going to purchase the S7 Cento.....yup $300 for a little lycra, but you get so much use out of them, and they hold up so well that it's easy for me (at least) to buy a few pairs every few years.

but's it's such a personal preference, in the end it's whatever works for you!

OtayBW
05-14-2015, 01:57 PM
Gore Xenons
Giordana Forma Red series

My go to bibs.

professerr
05-14-2015, 02:08 PM
I’ve never understood the obsession with bibs and awkward reverence some have for this or that model of what is a rather peculiar item of clothing. Maybe it is because I grew up on Descente shorts with a real chamois insert (definitely not a “pad”), to me the differences between most quality shorts are not a big deal, and there seems to be only a small correlation between price and function.

I’ve been through various Assos and Rapha and Bodypaint, etc., but the ones I grab are among the cheapest and most plebian: the Specialized SL Pros, which I think I paid $130 for on sale. Not for those who prefer a thick Rapha or Assos pad though -- the thin-ish pad is what I like, and overall I never think about the shorts when I’m riding in them, which is the point.

I’m curious about the reasonably priced Voler bibs mentioned above several times -- do they have a thick or thin pad?

eippo1
05-14-2015, 02:16 PM
I have found that my booty has gotten way more picky with both saddles and bibs as I have gotten older. I pretty much use Assos, Texmarket and some Santini stuff exclusively. Castelli used to work for me, but I don't like their higher end pad and find the fabric uncomfortable with the bibs that use the Kiss pad. Unfortunately, it means that I end up paying for the good stuff. Fortunately, that good stuff lasts forever anyway and ends up being a better value anyway. Gotta look at lifecycle costs.

azrider
05-14-2015, 02:32 PM
If you were a Bib-Snob, you would own Assos S7 bibs (equipe or Campionisimo) and wouldn't manage mentioning the other vastly lesser bibs, including Rapha...

X50

I bought a pair of "slightly" used S7 bibs from the forum and threw them on last Saturday for a 4hr ride and holy crap I never knew a bib could make that big a difference.

beeatnik
05-14-2015, 02:33 PM

Pez, I like your brand-loyal-to-a-flawed-brand style.

berserk87
05-14-2015, 02:38 PM

The Kindhuman bibs are interesting and I will keep them in mind for future use. The 2 recommended pairs are more than I paid for my Rapha bibs. As noted, I got mine on clearance and used a discount code.

I am sold on Vermarc stuff. I have a jacket and a pair of gloves and it is nice stuff. They aren't giving it away, for sure - it's expensive. Plus it's sort of scarce here in the US. I have never seen someone on person wearing Vermarc gear (besides me) in my area. I would like to see more of it.

sandyrs
05-14-2015, 02:48 PM
Don't you find their stuff fits incredibly small? Definitely not a brand you want to buy over the internet.

GSG used to be really good. Then they swapped out their top of the line red pad for something different and I stopped buying. Darn shame.

Fair point. I'm 6'5", 190 on my heaviest day, and wear an L/4 in both bibs and jerseys, but I also prefer my kit skintight, though short of sausage casing tight.

djg21
05-14-2015, 03:00 PM
I’ve never understood the obsession with bibs and awkward reverence some have for this or that model of what is a rather peculiar item of clothing. Maybe it is because I grew up on Descente shorts with a real chamois insert (definitely not a “pad”), to me the differences between most quality shorts are not a big deal, and there seems to be only a small correlation between price and function.

I’ve been through various Assos and Rapha and Bodypaint, etc., but the ones I grab are among the cheapest and most plebian: the Specialized SL Pros, which I think I paid $130 for on sale. Not for those who prefer a thick Rapha or Assos pad though -- the thin-ish pad is what I like, and overall I never think about the shorts when I’m riding in them, which is the point.

I’m curious about the reasonably priced Voler bibs mentioned above several times -- do they have a thick or thin pad?

I don't like thick pads. For instance, I never liked Pearl because they make me feel like I'm wearing a diaper. The Voler pads are pretty thin IMO.

FlashUNC
05-14-2015, 03:27 PM
I thought Assos was bib perfection, then I tried the new stuff from Luigi and team at Q36.5.

Unreal stuff.

Bob Ross
05-14-2015, 03:36 PM
I really like the top tier Pearl's, but I pretty sure this is a lot like saddles. One style does not work for all.

I have Assos and Raphas and don't really care for them. They are nice, but just nice and not my go to bibs.

Yeah, I love my Assos bibs, but I doubt I'll ever own two pair at the same time, and I may not even replace them with another Assos when they finally wear out.

I've been almost as happy with Pearl Izumi and Louis Garneau bibs, but to be honest -- and this oughtta indicate how not a bib snob I am -- the most comfortable bibs I've bought recently were from Performance. Pretty sure they were under $100 too.

TimAZ
05-14-2015, 03:37 PM
The mid-range Louis Garneau bibs are very nice.

I agree 100% with this ^.

jwess1234
05-14-2015, 04:04 PM
I'm a fan of the Pearl PRO bibs (pad may be a bit thick for some).

Interested in seeing how the bibs from 7Mesh (http://www.7meshinc.com/) are. The founder used to be at Arc'teryx so I expect they are high quality.

scho74
05-14-2015, 05:28 PM
Another vote for Assos! Surprisingly more comfortable than my Rapha classics.

Assos S7 Neopro at Shiny Bikes $138 + 23 shipping.
http://www.shinybikes.com/Assos%20T.Neopro%20S7%20Bib%20Shorts

mtechnica
05-14-2015, 06:10 PM
Santini

happycampyer
05-14-2015, 06:34 PM
Fwiw, Above Category is blowing out their Assos inventory—I assume because they are switching over to Q36.5 as their premier (only?) clothing line. They have S7 bibs on sale, which is rare, although the sizes have gotten picked over in the last day or two.

FlashUNC
05-14-2015, 08:02 PM
Fwiw, Above Category is blowing out their Assos inventory—I assume because they are switching over to Q36.5 as their premier (only?) clothing line. They have S7 bibs on sale, which is rare, although the sizes have gotten picked over in the last day or two.

When I talked to Chad over the weekend he said they'd continue to carry both lines, but I think you're right the emphasis will be on Q36.5 going forward.

acorn_user
05-14-2015, 08:25 PM
Another vote for Santini, although because I like them so much, my experience with other mid-range bibs is limited. Nashbar usually seem to have plain black ones with the Gel Intech (Git haha)pad for around $70. I also like the red pad GSG shorts since we had Santini followed by GSG team kits.

quattro
05-14-2015, 08:41 PM
Ok, lots of different brands to choose from, somewhat like saddles and shoes personal preference depends on body size and shape.
I like Assos and Louis Garneau, don't like PI, have not tried other brands, it gets pricey if they don't work for you.

For those owning Rapha bibs, would you buy again if you had a 30% discount? Just received one via email from Rapha so I'm thinking of giving them a try. Which model do you recommend?

Thanks,
quattro

oldpotatoe
05-15-2015, 06:54 AM

Asking a real question Charles..putting the place of manufacture aside, and your issue with their marketing, have you tried Rapha bibs? I have tried Assos, bought them and in spite of their goofy sizing (XLG is NOT eXtra LarGe)..it felt like I had a huge diaper on..AND having owned most of the other brands mentioned, I find the Rapha to be the best I have owned..I have owned. YMMV. IMHO. BLAH

oldpotatoe
05-15-2015, 06:55 AM
Ok, lots of different brands to choose from, somewhat like saddles and shoes personal preference depends on body size and shape.
I like Assos and Louis Garneau, don't like PI, have not tried other brands, it gets pricey if they don't work for you.

For those owning Rapha bibs, would you buy again if you had a 30% discount? Just received one via email from Rapha so I'm thinking of giving them a try. Which model do you recommend?

Thanks,
quattro

Yes, and the Classic bib..XL, I'm just shy of 6 feet and .1 offa ton..

LJohnny
05-15-2015, 07:36 AM
You might look at http://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com. The downside is that is in the UK, and returns can be expensive just for shipping.

I've had great luck with Voler bibs.

I've used them quite a bit. Great experience. Their customer service is really top notch. I've dealt with Andy, great chap all around.

Sent from my brain

LJohnny
05-15-2015, 07:43 AM
Interested in seeing how the bibs from 7Mesh (http://www.7meshinc.com/) are. The founder used to be at Arc'teryx so I expect they are high quality.

I like them. I think their suspended/independent chamois placement works.
Go one size down on the bibs. And the first time you put the on a few "pad placement" stitches brake ( they are supposed to). That is one uncanny sound, but per manufacturer feedback totally normal as the stitches are there to hold the pad in place while making the bib.

Sent from my brain

djg21
05-15-2015, 07:47 AM
I've used them quite a bit. Great experience. Their customer service is really top notch. I've dealt with Andy, great chap all around.

Sent from my brain

I just got nailed with $40 in postage to return a pair of shorts and a jersey. I am 6'3" and over 200lbs. I ordered the long leg shorts, and a jersey, both in the TIR sizing (I wear a size 7 jersey typically and an XL BIB to allow long enough suspenders). The shorts were too long and loose in the leg, and the jersey was laughably small, barely making it past my midriff. I've had really good luck in the past ordering knickers and tights from the Assos Outlet, but I really am not sure if I'd buy from it again given the high cost of making a return to the UK.

sandyrs
05-15-2015, 08:16 AM
Yes, and the Classic bib..XL, I'm just shy of 6 feet and .1 offa ton..

My experience is with the Pro Team bib, but I like it quite a lot. 6'5", slim but not super skinny build, and the L is a nicely compressive fit. I could wear the XL if I wanted less compression. I think the Pro Team and Classic lines just serve different fit preferences.

I would probably get another pair at that discount if I were in need of bibs. Thankfully, I'm flush with bibs at the moment, having just gotten this year's team kit from Craft (also quite nice so far).

metalheart
05-15-2015, 09:38 AM
I am 190 pounder and wear a L in the Rapha Classics, which I find to be the most comfortable because I like the thickness of the pad, the wide and comfortable shoulder straps, and the soft supple material.

I have a pair of Voler bibs (size L) from a couple years ago and I also like the thickness of the pad in those bibs, but the material is not as soft, and the shoulder straps are thinner and tend to pinch after a couple hours. That gets a little irritating.

Last summer I bought two pair of Assos from the Outlet, the Pro Bib Short S2 and the F1 Mille S5 regular leg, both in L. The material is more compressive than the Rapha but somewhat like the Voler, only more refined. The shoulder straps are better for me on the Mille than Pro and I like the thickness of the pad on the Mille more than the Pro's thinner pad. I was so/so about both bibs for the first few rides and thought my next pair of bibs would be Raphas, but after more rides both the S2 and S5 have grown on me. For my everyday rides I reach in the bib drawer and pull out whatever comes rather than searching for the Rapha. But, when I know I am going for a harder or longer ride, then I search for the Rapha Classic or the Mille.

The Q36.5 and the Assos Cento interest me,. I like the idea of the fabric in the 36.5 and the KuLu pouch in the Cento, if the pads are equally comfortable.

I am always on the Lookout for bibs with comfortable fabric and shoulder straps and a thick enough pad for me. So far, the Rapha Classics have the edge.

pjmsj21
05-15-2015, 01:27 PM

Some strong words from someone who has seen and worn (I would think) a lot of bibs. It prompts me to return the Rapha Classic bibs that I just bought and have enjoyed previously to try a pair of these Assos. Anyone else have similar experiences?

beeatnik
05-15-2015, 01:31 PM
pjms, if he called the Trek Madone the best bike ever made would you immediately sell your current bike?

hockeybike
05-15-2015, 02:00 PM
I've used sugoi's rse, gore's top end and some.others. best for.me, by far, is DeSoto sport's 400 mile bib. More comfortable than gore or sugoi, and I like the compression more, too.

Just perfect, and the company stands behind the product. They'll fix em if something happens

Charles M
05-15-2015, 02:43 PM
Asking a real question Charles..putting the place of manufacture aside, and your issue with their marketing, have you tried Rapha bibs? I have tried Assos, bought them and in spite of their goofy sizing (XLG is NOT eXtra LarGe)..it felt like I had a huge diaper on..AND having owned most of the other brands mentioned, I find the Rapha to be the best I have owned..I have owned. YMMV. IMHO. BLAH

Yep (on Rapha). I've tried a half dozen in the last 4 years (inclusive of the base Classic and the Pro team.

They just don't make a bib on par withe the latest S7. The 7 series are a jump from the 5 series.

The lower end 5 series were about where Rapha are now for total construction and Chamois tech.

There are definitely chamois in the Assos line that were bulkier than others, but with the 7 series in Cento or Campionisimo, they're not bulky relative to the shorts of the 5 series (which also lead the market for Chamois tech) and there is no other bib short competitive with the freedom of movement COMBINED with your junk staying fairly well in place WITHOUT being squished.

The top models of the S7 an entirely different short to almost anything else made.

And I say "Cento or Campionisimo" because even in the latest series there are a couple of different Chamois.

These are the neo, equipe, cento and Campio...
http://www.bicycling.com/sites/default/files/fck_content/Assos%20s7%20chamois%20display.jpeg

Nobody else is making a Chamoise that is free floating like this...

https://scontent-1.22773.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/1522588_10205164956697541_5297422915566222746_o.jp g

And has a completely free and conforming genital interface...

https://scontent-1.22773.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/10433864_10205164956537537_6839774961176472987_n.j pg?oh=f0f679832513dd3a2f94e5cd45d87883&oe=55CD2898

They're spectacular.

I have a review that will roll in a bit but I've heard a who's who of reputable, long term media guys (not the latest here today gone tomorrow reviewers) call these the best bib product ever made...

Even the lesser Equipes are being called better than everything else...

http://redkiteprayer.com/2014/02/assos-equipe-bibs/

I will say Rapha's latest classics are really nice bibs and unlike some other things in the line, they're not a bad value wherever they're made. But I think there are a lot of products at the same level.

None of them compete with the S7 line up down to the Neo Pro. Assos lowest level s7 is arguably the 4th best bob product available.

I'll say that for the money though, the Cento is the nicest Bib Assos make. I would buy that over the Campionisimo.

That said, I saw a couple of companies going for different chamois shapes and changing their cut designs to mimic Assos which is par for the course for almost all cycling clothes makers over the past 15 years...

The one place Rapha have lead all comers is marketing and simple design aesthetic. They are the worlds finest cycling marketers (and I mean that as a compliment). And because of that, the dollars have flown in and they're using it to make better and better products.

LJohnny
05-15-2015, 03:04 PM
Yep (on Rapha). I've tried a half dozen in the last 4 years (inclusive of the base Classic and the Pro team.

They just don't make a bib on par withe the latest S7. The 7 series are a jump from the 5 series.

The lower end 5 series were about where Rapha are now for total construction and Chamois tech.

There are definitely chamois in the Assos line that were bulkier than others, but with the 7 series in Cento or Campionisimo, they're not bulky relative to the shorts of the 5 series (which also lead the market for Chamois tech) and there is no other bib short competitive with the freedom of movement COMBINED with your junk staying fairly well in place WITHOUT being squished.

The top models of the S7 an entirely different short to almost anything else made.

And I say "Cento or Campionisimo" because even in the latest series there are a couple of different Chamois.

These are the neo, equipe, cento and Campio...
http://www.bicycling.com/sites/default/files/fck_content/Assos%20s7%20chamois%20display.jpeg

Nobody else is making a Chamoise that is free floating like this...

And has a completely free and conforming genital interface...

I will say Rapha's latest classics are really nice bibs and unlike some other things in the line, they're not a bad value wherever they're made. But I think there are a lot of products at the same level.

None of them compete with the S7 line up down to the Neo Pro. Assos lowest level s7 is arguably the 4th best bob product available.

I'll say that for the money though, the Cento is the nicest Bib Assos make. I would buy that over the Campionisimo.

(Sniped out some of the quoted post to get to the point)
I agree that the s7 are good bibs. I have the cento and equipe and I like them a lot. Their chamois is less bulky than that of the s5 Mille, yet still very comfy. I like to ride saddles with little padding or no padding. So I personally do like substantial chamois. I think the kuku thing does keep bits in place nicely.

Having said that you are wrong regarding the free floating chamois. The 7mesh bibs have a floating chamois that actually has more freedom than that of the assos s7 line.

Sent from my brain

pjmsj21
05-15-2015, 03:06 PM
pjms, if he called the Trek Madone the best bike ever made would you immediately sell your current bike?

Well first of all I would doubt that would happen.....but I do like the Trek Domane and I doubt I will ever sell my Concours or my Gunnar Sport....not so sure on my Fierte IT. But more importantly I understand your point.

My point is: that I don't make my living testing cycling products ( I can only wish) and Charles does. As a result he spends more time and has more access to products than most if not all of the posters on the forum. Thus when he says something and strongly endorses a product than I do take notice.

Pat Mc

Raffy
05-15-2015, 03:08 PM
Charles, how is the leg length on the Cento? I like my NeoPro but I find it longer than my S5 FI13 which is the perfect length for me. The gripper bands hit the back of my knees on the NeoPro.

beeatnik
05-15-2015, 03:38 PM
Well first of all I would doubt that would happen.....but I do like the Trek Domane and I doubt I will ever sell my Concours or my Gunnar Sport....not so sure on my Fierte IT. But more importantly I understand your point.

My point is: that I don't make my living testing cycling products ( I can only wish) and Charles does. As a result he spends more time and has more access to products than most if not all of the posters on the forum. Thus when he says something and strongly endorses a product than I do take notice.

Pat Mc

We're talking bibs, tho.

Charles, what are the best 5 saddles on the planet?

pjmsj21
05-15-2015, 03:59 PM
Somehow I think bibs are a bit less variable and subjective as saddles but whatever.

Asking Charles what the five best saddles are on the planet, or in the US would at least provide a good starting point for someone. They may not end up with one of his five, but again I would likely ask his opinion more so than others that have more limited experience with riding and testing various saddles.

We're talking bibs, tho.

oldpotatoe
05-15-2015, 04:23 PM
Some strong words from someone who has seen and worn (I would think) a lot of bibs. It prompts me to return the Rapha Classic bibs that I just bought and have enjoyed previously to try a pair of these Assos. Anyone else have similar experiences?

As I mentioned, my experience was just the opposite and I did return the Assos bibs.

jlwdm
05-15-2015, 05:42 PM
I do not buy the super expensive bibs but I have one pair of Rapha Classics and 7 pair of Assos F1 Uno S5. They both work great for me.

Jeff

HillDancer
05-15-2015, 05:50 PM
Another T.cento wearer here, to the other positive reports I'll add my genitalia feel better after the ride than with other bibs.

beeatnik
05-15-2015, 06:41 PM
Pat, how tall are you? How much do you weigh? What's your saddle to bar drop. Do you have any pronounced asymmetries? How long is your average ride, timewise? What's your yearly mileage? Which saddle do you prefer? Do you like compressive garments? Do guys you know who ride 30000k yearly prefer Assos?
Somehow I think bibs are a bit less variable and subjective as saddles but whatever.

Asking Charles what the five best saddles are on the planet, or in the US would at least provide a good starting point for someone. They may not end up with one of his five, but again I would likely ask his opinion more so than others that have more limited experience with riding and testing various saddles.

Charles M
05-15-2015, 10:39 PM
We're talking bibs, tho.

Given saddles don't conform at all to rider shapes, that's pretty irrelevant

If you were genuinely looking for saddle advice, you would be talking materials, craftsmanship, design and the net product and if there was a company innovating in saddles as much as Assos have in clothing over the past 20 years and making a product this good relative to the field (and there isn't a company like that as there is a pretty level playing field and ther has been for a long time) there might be an answer. It would be more relative at that point to talk about Brands rather than individual models and I think the companies would be Selle Italia, Selle San Marco, Fizik, Specialized and possibly someone like Terry (and a nod to a new company called Astute Italia who make a very good product with some real, functional construction tweaks, along with Velo Saddles who make a BIG chunk of saddles for other people and have very good quality at very good prices).

Charles, how is the leg length on the Cento? I like my NeoPro but I find it longer than my S5 FI13 which is the perfect length for me. The gripper bands hit the back of my knees on the NeoPro.

Pretty similar cut length... The neo's pull down maybe a half inch longer than Cento, but it's really a wash. The cut and shape are a little different than the FI13 as much as the leg length cut, which probably exacerbates your short femurs... Unfortunately for you (and lots of people), the longer cuts are a trend. With that, You might Like Demarchi's latest.

And believe it or not, Bellwether have a new Forza Bib short with a shaped chamois that is pretty nice (and probably half the price of anything in this thread at $129 bucks).

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/15-otter2-33.jpg

(Sniped out some of the quoted post to get to the point)
I agree that the s7 are good bibs. I have the cento and equipe and I like them a lot. Their chamois is less bulky than that of the s5 Mille, yet still very comfy. I like to ride saddles with little padding or no padding. So I personally do like substantial chamois. I think the kuku thing does keep bits in place nicely.

Having said that you are wrong regarding the free floating chamois. The 7mesh bibs have a floating chamois that actually has more freedom than that of the assos s7 line.

Sent from my brain

I wish 7mesh made more stuff. You're actually the first and only person I've ever heard that's seen the product, much less used it. I like the MK1 bibs. I don't think they're as complete a product for compression and there isn't a place for your personal bits designed in like the S7 but they're really nice and do have a stable but moving Chamois and are really "free" feeling.

joosttx
05-15-2015, 10:44 PM
Q36.5 bibs are the best I have tried. They are very understated but the price is not.

chasea
05-15-2015, 11:33 PM
Contact points make all the difference. Shorts, saddles, shoes, hoods, and handlebars. These are non-negotiable.

I'm always amused at guys rolling in on 10-15K bikes who scoff at the idea of a pair of $230-290 bib shorts.

But to each his own, I guess.

beeatnik
05-16-2015, 01:33 AM
All my young underemployed pals love their Rapha bibs. Don't see too many guys under 50 in Assos and I don't think it's a price point deal.

fuzzalow
05-16-2015, 08:01 AM
I thought Assos was bib perfection, then I tried the new stuff from Luigi and team at Q36.5.

Unreal stuff.

Q36.5 bibs are the best I have tried. They are very understated but the price is not.

Q36.5 has made a splash with you gentlemen. In a very crowded field in clothing with many high-end pretenders to the throne. So what's the skinny on this stuff? I'd try a pair to see what it's about but I'll be honest that firms make grand claims all the time on their goods. How are these guys different?

I've worn Assos bibs my entire cycling lifetime and never had to go through the wooly shorts era of cycling. That's from the late 70's - I was always a customer of Conrad's and SW was good at convincing me to buy cycling clothes like Assos that I couldn't afford.

Contact points make all the difference. Shorts, saddles, shoes, hoods, and handlebars. These are non-negotiable.

I'm always amused at guys rolling in on 10-15K bikes who scoff at the idea of a pair of $230-290 bib shorts.

But to each his own, I guess.

Yes they do but I'll push back on you here as this catch phrase and reverence of "contact points" reeks of mysticism. That same tone and cliche as bandied about by some self-professed cool kids of a time from this forum's past that is best forgotten. They took up residence ATH.

It is not the contact points in and of themselves. That term is meaningless and implies nothing without the knowledge as to how it's done and how to use them. Actually how to structure their alignment is more important than the mere trivia of saying how important "contact points" are. Sounds good though, the words encapsulate a veneer of expertise.

No snark intended here. Your use of the phrase "contact points" as you had done, "non-negotiable", just struck me as of a group presumption from a time before - dated when heard but still tagged to people, a time and a place when it was spoken to convey they knew something I didn't. All a farce.

LJohnny
05-16-2015, 12:27 PM
I wish 7mesh made more stuff. You're actually the first and only person I've ever heard that's seen the product, much less used it. I like the MK1 bibs. I don't think they're as complete a product for compression and there isn't a place for your personal bits designed in like the S7 but they're really nice and do have a stable but moving Chamois and are really "free" feeling.
I have about 16 rides (~850 miles) on the 7mesh MKI and I really like them. Despite the fact that the chamois is not really large per se, it is very comfy and it feels very independent of the bibs. I am going to post, in the spirit of the thread, pictures of the pads on the higher end bibs that I have around to give an idea.

The Assos pads: First, on the right, an older Assos EVO Campionissimo, circa '04-'05. These are my all time favorite bibs, nice compression and very light, too bad the chamois wore down. I wish Assos would offer repairs, since as I mentioned the shorts were my favorite ones. I don't have the heart to chuck them out. Next to the S5 Mille, middle, next to the Cento Pad in some Tiburu bibs. You can see that the total area covered by the pads have sort of been kept the same by Assos through the years.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/CD44hi/bike%20stuff/AE40DF95-00F3-4D1F-8A6D-4A2B34A6C82F.jpg

Cento next to the 7Mesh MKI
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/CD44hi/bike%20stuff/E57080EF-A823-47A8-9094-23C9AD5F9F65.jpg

Opening on the sides of the cento pad
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/CD44hi/bike%20stuff/FD3C03EF-41D6-43E9-9841-03D37662D26A.jpg

The pad on the 7Mesh is attached to a complete separate layer, that it is attached to the front and back of the bib
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/CD44hi/bike%20stuff/FCB0A99E-858E-4CF2-8175-68722E34D2CB.jpg

The KISS3 Castelli, in the center, next to the Mavic Pro Chamois (this is a very good chamois actually), 7Mesh on top
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/CD44hi/bike%20stuff/874E44B0-5E0D-4476-9191-0945FD43EA6D.jpg

Other very, very comfy pads on Capo CS bibs (red one) next to the Mille Pad, it is almost as dense as that pad, however it is bigger in total area.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/CD44hi/bike%20stuff/B489B6AB-61E3-4E42-9F34-39136EAA4AC1.jpg

The Giordana Forma Red chamois pad (lighter red on top) is more in line with the new S7 Assos pads, it is comfy.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/CD44hi/bike%20stuff/B2E1369E-15EC-4E4B-B36B-0D646637FC08.jpg
My favorite pad is the T.Cento pad from the Cento bibs, not pictured as it was in the laundry, The Cento pad from the Tiburu is good, but the KuKu makes a difference. Then the 7Mesh pad comes in 2nd, then the Mille S5 for very long rides. I really don't think this part of my post is very useful as this is a very personal preference. In terms of quality of finish, the Assos and 7Mesh are top notch. Capo, Giordana and Mavic are great, but not at the same.
[EDIT] I forgot to mention that as far as I know, 7Mesh actually does not make their pad, they get them from Elastic Interface Technology. The engineering of the pad into the bibs is their stuff, AFIK.

joosttx
05-16-2015, 12:51 PM
Q36.5 has made a splash with you gentlemen. In a very crowded field in clothing with many high-end pretenders to the throne. So what's the skinny on this stuff? I'd try a pair to see what it's about but I'll be honest that firms make grand claims all the time on their goods. How are these guys different?

I have tried to figure it out. One their bibs, leg/arm warmers, jersey are the best. Their base layers are arguable the best IMO. Their jacket is great. Their gloves are so so. Regarding the bibs I think their material is really nice and a differentiator. It has a papery-like feel to it. It's light and breathable. I do prefer rapha's classic in colder weather but for normal and hot I like the 36.5. The fit is perfect at least for me. It's ergonomically designed and it does work. The chamois is extremely comfortable but not thick. One thing is the bib feels a but rough or starchy at first but after a few washes it's breaks in very well. So what makes it better. probably two things.... their unique fabric and the minimalist-performance only approach to design probably sets it apart from the result.

FlashUNC
05-16-2015, 01:33 PM

I've worn Assos bibs my entire cycling lifetime and never had to go through the wooly shorts era of cycling. That's from the late 70's - I was always a customer of Conrad's and SW was good at convincing me to buy cycling clothes like Assos that I couldn't afford.

Luigi left Assos to start his own thing, hence the new brand. The shorts -- at least the Salopettes -- are panel-less. They're more compressive than my fi.13 S5s, but not that "overstuffed sausage casing" feeling of a lot of compressive shorts. Its really comfortable while still giving you a fair bit of hugging compression. Like all Assos stuff, its actually fairly uncomfortable off the bike, but really, really perfect on it. He ditched silicone grippers in favor of some other grippy material that doesn't irritate or wear out like silicone can.

I have no idea what kind of fabrics he's using, but the stuff manages to wick incredibly well, and lightweight but seems really tough and resilient. My kit can go from the washer to bone dry in 4-5 hours. It wicks incredibly well on the bike to help regulat core temp. I haven't ridden it much in hot weather (their vest is amazing too), but I could see this being my go-to hot ride kit.

I hate to make shorts recommendations, but if you like Assos, giving these a whirl might be worth it. They just expanded their line for the new year to include a cento-like bib and an even lighter-weight bib for riding on the surface of Mercury or something.

fuzzalow
05-17-2015, 07:18 AM
^ & ^^ Thanks for your response gentlemen.

I will admit the the sheer vapidity and vanity in wanting to try out Q35.6 based solely on the look of the bibs - some kinda fashion. I have rarely found fault with the bibs I have worn which might be explained by that I have only worn Assos for the last 35 years. You go back that far and cycling clothes, especially bibs, have improved tremendously over the years. Compared to now, even Assos in the early 80's was terrible - but only in the context of it being compared to now.

The only time I have a problem with bibs is when I'm still dialing in a fit on a new bike. When that happens the bibs don't seem hold everything in place as well as they should. Not because they don't but because in riding the bike I am squirming around on the saddle with the pelvis trying to find the right balance point & position. Once dialed in though everything settles into place, both in the literal sense and in more ways than one!

jlwdm
05-17-2015, 07:44 AM
^ & ^^ Thanks for your response gentlemen.

I will admit the the sheer vapidity and vanity in wanting to try out Q35.6 based solely on the look of the bibs - some kinda fashion....

I feel just the opposite on the looks. I don't want black bibs with some grey - I want all black. And the green accents are not going to work with many jerseys.

Jeff

milkbaby
05-17-2015, 08:16 AM
And believe it or not, Bellwether have a new Forza Bib short with a shaped chamois that is pretty nice (and probably half the price of anything in this thread at $129 bucks).

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/15-otter2-33.jpg

Is that a proprietary chamois? It kinda looks like one of the pads from TMF. On a side note, the Bellwether MTB chamois is a rare MTB baggie liner that I actually like, other than Pearl Izumi, the rest feel terrible to me.

Lionel
05-17-2015, 10:28 AM
This makes me want to try a Q36.5 kit. Is the sizing the same as Assos ?

I have been a long time Assos fan and I like the FI13 S5 bib a lot but it does not wear nearly as well as the FI13.S2 did (they still last quite a long time). I have two new Equipe S7, we will see how long they last.

fuzzalow
05-17-2015, 10:56 AM
I feel just the opposite on the looks. I don't want black bibs with some grey - I want all black. And the green accents are not going to work with many jerseys.

Jeff

That stray whisp of coloration branding shouldn't be taken with alarm, just wear it! Sometime ya just gotta live a little! Style is all about attitude anyways.

I have been a long time Assos fan and I like the FI13 S5 bib a lot but it does not wear nearly as well as the FI13.S2 did (they still last quite a long time). I have two new Equipe S7, we will see how long they last.

Ah! Shared curiosity about products that dare to strive and serve as the best in their field. There is rarely any one best thing in anything so might as well enjoy products from all that push the boundaries.

makoti
05-17-2015, 11:15 AM
This thread is not going to help my bank balance...
I google "Q36.5 bibs" and don't get much. Where can I find them? CC is what I came up with.

happycampyer
05-17-2015, 11:47 AM
This thread is not going to help my bank balance...
I google "Q36.5 bibs" and don't get much. Where can I find them? CC is what I came up with.The only place I know of that sells Q36.5 ("Absolutely Equipment"—are you sure?) products is Above Category.

Above Category — Shop — Men's Clothing (http://www.abovecategorycycling.com/shop/mens.html)

Their product descriptions are almost as unintelligible as Assos' ("Ride it [the Salopette L1 Essential bib short] sensitively and it will become your teacher.").

tjk23
05-17-2015, 11:56 AM
After looking at the Assos factory outlet I may take a plunge on a pair of their bibs. The factory price puts them in my budget. Thanks for the tip.

FlashUNC
05-17-2015, 12:04 PM

Sizing is basically the same from my S5s. Just more compressive.

sandyrs
05-17-2015, 12:27 PM
The only place I know of that sells Q36.5 ("Absolutely Equipment"—are you sure?) products is Above Category.

Above Category — Shop — Men's Clothing (http://www.abovecategorycycling.com/shop/mens.html)

Their product descriptions are almost as unintelligible as Assos' ("Ride it [the Salopette L1 Essential bib short] sensitively and it will become your teacher.").

But without a teacher you will never be able to unleash your carefully trained explosiveness!!

Honestly, the insane (and no, I don't mean inane), yet strangely convincing, descriptions make me want to try the Q36.5 stuff even more. A pair of the S1 bibs and their ridiculous floral "Hawaii" jersey are near the top of my wish list.

joosttx
05-17-2015, 01:16 PM
But without a teacher you will never be able to unleash your carefully trained explosiveness!!

Honestly, the insane (and no, I don't mean inane), yet strangely convincing, descriptions make me want to try the Q36.5 stuff even more. A pair of the S1 bibs and their ridiculous floral "Hawaii" jersey are near the top of my wish list.
I just got the Hawaii jersey about 3 weeks ago. Its super bad a$$.

Lionel
05-17-2015, 02:02 PM
i am sort of liking the orange fluo one

happycampyer
05-17-2015, 02:04 PM

I suppose since Luigi was one of the key people at Assos for years, he must be familiar with whatever hallucinagenic drugs Assos' advertising people take.

professerr
05-17-2015, 02:32 PM
Try before you buy one of these Q36.5 jerseys. Guy was rockin' one of these the other day, and you could count each bagel through the very thin, supple and stretchy fabric. My SO chuckled afterwords it was a "don't look down" encounter for her.

chasea
05-17-2015, 04:24 PM
Yes they do but I'll push back on you here as this catch phrase and reverence of "contact points" reeks of mysticism. That same tone and cliche as bandied about by some self-professed cool kids of a time from this forum's past that is best forgotten. They took up residence ATH.

It is not the contact points in and of themselves. That term is meaningless and implies nothing without the knowledge as to how it's done and how to use them. Actually how to structure their alignment is more important than the mere trivia of saying how important "contact points" are. Sounds good though, the words encapsulate a veneer of expertise.

No snark intended here. Your use of the phrase "contact points" as you had done, "non-negotiable", just struck me as of a group presumption from a time before - dated when heard but still tagged to people, a time and a place when it was spoken to convey they knew something I didn't. All a farce.

No snark intended, though, right?

fuzzalow
05-17-2015, 05:38 PM
No snark intended, though, right?

No, there was really no snark intended. All of that "contact points" bluster pre-dated your participation, in either here or ATH, by quite a few years. It stopped being relevant here when those who decamped went there. All before your time, AFAIK.

Hey man, just keepin' it real. Your participation in this forum is welcomed. Perhaps the affectations that are de regieur over there are not your price for speaking your mind here. All this just my inconsequential opinion.

chasea
05-17-2015, 05:56 PM
No, there was really no snark intended. All of that "contact points" bluster pre-dated your participation, in either here or ATH, by quite a few years. It stopped being relevant here when those who decamped went there. All before your time, AFAIK.

Hey man, just keepin' it real. Your participation in this forum is welcomed. Perhaps the affectations that are de regieur over there are not your price for speaking your mind here. All this just my inconsequential opinion.

We're talking bib shorts, and you're talking "over here/ over there", and "self-proclaimed cool kids," and "mysticism."

You know what? Forget it.

beeatnik
05-17-2015, 06:14 PM
I just got the Hawaii jersey about 3 weeks ago. Its super bad a$$.

joosttx, I like your style.

MattTuck
05-17-2015, 07:33 PM

These look interesting. Do you have a sense how the pad compares to the Rapha pad?

Charles M
05-17-2015, 09:22 PM
I have about 16 rides (~850 miles) on the 7mesh MKI and I really like them. Despite the fact that the chamois is not really large per se, it is very comfy and it feels very independent of the bibs. I am going to post, in the spirit of the thread, pictures of the pads on the higher end bibs that I have around to give an idea.

The Assos pads: First, on the right, an older Assos EVO Campionissimo, circa '04-'05. These are my all time favorite bibs, nice compression and very light, too bad the chamois wore down. I wish Assos would offer repairs, since as I mentioned the shorts were my favorite ones. I don't have the heart to chuck them out. Next to the S5 Mille, middle, next to the Cento Pad in some Tiburu bibs. You can see that the total area covered by the pads have sort of been kept the same by Assos through the years.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/CD44hi/bike%20stuff/AE40DF95-00F3-4D1F-8A6D-4A2B34A6C82F.jpg

Cento next to the 7Mesh MKI
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/CD44hi/bike%20stuff/E57080EF-A823-47A8-9094-23C9AD5F9F65.jpg

Opening on the sides of the cento pad
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/CD44hi/bike%20stuff/FD3C03EF-41D6-43E9-9841-03D37662D26A.jpg

The pad on the 7Mesh is attached to a complete separate layer, that it is attached to the front and back of the bib
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/CD44hi/bike%20stuff/FCB0A99E-858E-4CF2-8175-68722E34D2CB.jpg

The KISS3 Castelli, in the center, next to the Mavic Pro Chamois (this is a very good chamois actually), 7Mesh on top
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/CD44hi/bike%20stuff/874E44B0-5E0D-4476-9191-0945FD43EA6D.jpg

Other very, very comfy pads on Capo CS bibs (red one) next to the Mille Pad, it is almost as dense as that pad, however it is bigger in total area.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/CD44hi/bike%20stuff/B489B6AB-61E3-4E42-9F34-39136EAA4AC1.jpg

The Giordana Forma Red chamois pad (lighter red on top) is more in line with the new S7 Assos pads, it is comfy.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/CD44hi/bike%20stuff/B2E1369E-15EC-4E4B-B36B-0D646637FC08.jpg
My favorite pad is the T.Cento pad from the Cento bibs, not pictured as it was in the laundry, The Cento pad from the Tiburu is good, but the KuKu makes a difference. Then the 7Mesh pad comes in 2nd, then the Mille S5 for very long rides. I really don't think this part of my post is very useful as this is a very personal preference. In terms of quality of finish, the Assos and 7Mesh are top notch. Capo, Giordana and Mavic are great, but not at the same.
[EDIT] I forgot to mention that as far as I know, 7Mesh actually does not make their pad, they get them from Elastic Interface Technology. The engineering of the pad into the bibs is their stuff, AFIK.

The thing the S7 have in common with the 7Mesh is that both are Elastic Interface Produced Chamois...

In fact, I have two pair of shorts with that Chamois and one of em is a sample directly from Elastic Interface... They're basically the same bibs and I really like em.

joosttx
05-18-2015, 12:50 AM
joosttx, I like your style.

I like your Catella!

sandyrs
05-18-2015, 02:02 PM
I like your Catella!

Joosttx- any experience with the Miles Gregarius bib?

beeatnik
05-18-2015, 03:10 PM
I like your Catella!

:banana:

joosttx
05-18-2015, 04:11 PM
Joosttx- any experience with the Miles Gregarius bib?

No I don't have any experience with the Mile Gregarius. I own the Salopette L1 Essential. Last night I wore my Rapha Pro bibs. The Salopette L1 Essential felt about the same in snugness, maybe a little less snug than the Rapha Pro bibs.

sandyrs
05-18-2015, 04:33 PM
No I don't have any experience with the Mile Gregarius. I own the Salopette L1 Essential. Last night I wore my Rapha Pro bibs. The Salopette L1 Essential felt about the same in snugness, maybe a little less snug than the Rapha Pro bibs.

Thank you!

noshaver
05-19-2015, 01:39 PM
You might want to check out Dodici Cicli. Also check out Road Holland. Great bibs...

jwess1234
05-27-2015, 09:42 PM

LJohnny, chamois aside, how do you find the 7Mesh bib to fit? (Particularly interested in lower thigh / gripper tightness.

I just bought a pair of the 7Mesh bibs and tried them on the first time tonight. I bought a small, according to their chart, even though I expected to be a medium. The overall fit is a bit tighter than I'm used to on Pearl Izumi Elite/Pro (mediums), but in particular the gripper and lower thigh seems tighter than it should be. The rest of the bib feels find and when standing there is a slight bit of room in the back (not when bent over into a cycling angle).

I know everyone's fit is a bit different, but have you found these to just size tighter in gripper area?

I may call the company or just take out on a ride this weekend and will report back, but would appreciate thoughts from anyone in the meantime.

LJohnny
05-27-2015, 11:04 PM
LJohnny, chamois aside, how do you find the 7Mesh bib to fit? (Particularly interested in lower thigh / gripper tightness.

I just bought a pair of the 7Mesh bibs and tried them on the first time tonight. I bought a small, according to their chart, even though I expected to be a medium. The overall fit is a bit tighter than I'm used to on Pearl Izumi Elite/Pro (mediums), but in particular the gripper and lower thigh seems tighter than it should be. The rest of the bib feels find and when standing there is a slight bit of room in the back (not when bent over into a cycling angle).

I know everyone's fit is a bit different, but have you found these to just size tighter in gripper area?

I may call the company or just take out on a ride this weekend and will report back, but would appreciate thoughts from anyone in the meantime.

Actually, no. In fact I find the Assos S7 line of bibs to be more compressive all around, including the gripper area. I would definitely take them for a spin, before making a final decision. Sometimes bibs conform better to one's body once pedaling.

Rnaymik
05-28-2015, 12:15 AM
Fair point. I'm 6'5", 190 on my heaviest day, and wear an L/4 in both bibs and jerseys, but I also prefer my kit skintight, though short of sausage casing tight.

more like haggis casing then?

Rnaymik
05-28-2015, 12:22 AM
I have 4 pairs of rapha bibs, 3 of which have blown out/frayed elastic. the only one in good shape still is the insulated pro team. Chamois work well for me, but sometimes sag off my ass after a few hours (which i really hate). Never put them in the dryer. For the money, I'm not into that. Granted, I didn't pay full price, but I've never experienced that with any other brand. At first I thought maybe my thunder thighs were too juicy for them, but they seem to fit properly.

I think my next venture would be craft. I always found their summer weight custom jerseys were cut well and fit amazingly well. Could get a tight fit without any discomfort, or feeling like my beer belly was protruding too much.

oldpotatoe
05-28-2015, 06:17 AM
I have 4 pairs of rapha bibs, 3 of which have blown out/frayed elastic. the only one in good shape still is the insulated pro team. Chamois work well for me, but sometimes sag off my ass after a few hours (which i really hate). Never put them in the dryer. For the money, I'm not into that. Granted, I didn't pay full price, but I've never experienced that with any other brand. At first I thought maybe my thunder thighs were too juicy for them, but they seem to fit properly.

I think my next venture would be craft. I always found their summer weight custom jerseys were cut well and fit amazingly well. Could get a tight fit without any discomfort, or feeling like my beer belly was protruding too much.

"Repair Service Policy
Rapha offers a free repair service where a crash or accident has damaged a garment or a failure has occurred even after significant usage.
This service also applies to garments outside the 90 day return policy, and where the damage is not due to manufacturing faults."

Send 'em in....

sandyrs
05-28-2015, 08:16 AM
more like haggis casing then?

Mmm I would say it's probably a soy-rizo casing fit

Raffy
05-28-2015, 09:01 AM
"Repair Service Policy
Rapha offers a free repair service where a crash or accident has damaged a garment or a failure has occurred even after significant usage.
This service also applies to garments outside the 90 day return policy, and where the damage is not due to manufacturing faults."

Send 'em in....

Sorry to veer off a little but do you think this covers my Rapha jersey if the waistband elastic goes "bacon" on me? I can see it starting to happen and it's only a few months old. Not a real issue just cosmetic when the jersey is hanging in my closet.

oldpotatoe
05-28-2015, 09:18 AM
Sorry to veer off a little but do you think this covers my Rapha jersey if the waistband elastic goes "bacon" on me? I can see it starting to happen and it's only a few months old. Not a real issue just cosmetic when the jersey is hanging in my closet.

Ask...in spite of many here wincing and whining at the very mention of Rapha, a strong point of theirs is customer service.

Raffy
05-28-2015, 09:26 AM
Ask...in spite of many here wincing and whining at the very mention of Rapha, a strong point of theirs is customer service.

Yep, every time I've called them they've been patient and helpful.

FlashUNC
05-28-2015, 10:02 AM
I would second that. Rapha customer service has always been excellent for me.

After a crash a couple years back, I asked if they could repair some knickers that were pretty thoroughly thrashed. They said the repair likely would have led to a different fit in the garment, so gave me a stupidly good deal on a set to replace them.

Not something they had to do at all -- wasn't anything wrong with their product at all, it was my own stupidity -- but they went out of their way to make me whole again as inexpensively as possible.

Say what you want about their pricing, etc, but their customer service has always been top shelf for me.

PQJ
05-28-2015, 10:16 AM
I'll third that. Rapha customer service has always been super helpful and responsive. A torn jacket that couldn't be fixed resulted in a generous discount towards the purchase of any new product.

frank_h
05-28-2015, 02:12 PM
I'm a Castelli (Free Aero Race) and Assos (Uno) fan.

The Castellis are my go-to shorts when it's hot, race day, or all-out-effort day.

The Assos bibs are a bit thicker and feel like they'll end up lasting longer, but consequently are a bit warmer. The chamois was certainly a bit odd feeling in the front at first, but I grew to really like the extra space provided.

In terms of Rapha vs Assos pricing, I used the Assos outlet + coupon code and ended up saving ~$175.