PDA

View Full Version : seatpost binder nut with oval section?

oliver1850
05-13-2015, 10:01 PM
Working on a Ciocc, probably within a couple of years of 1986. None of the binder bolts I have on hand are right. The drive side appears to take a nut with an oval OD. Anyone know what binder I should be looking for?

Peter P.
05-14-2015, 06:05 AM
I doubt it takes a special binder. Your hole is likely ovalized. I'd file or drill until it fits.

The problem side may be keyed and I assume you're already aware of that and any keyed slot is not your problem?

Absolute worst case scenario: A framebuilder can remove the old binder, leaving the seat lug intact, and braze on a new binder.

oldpotatoe
05-14-2015, 06:37 AM
Working on a Ciocc, probably within a couple of years of 1986. None of the binder bolts I have on hand are right. The drive side appears to take a nut with an oval OD. Anyone know what binder I should be looking for?

I have a 1985 Ciocc and it uses a normal 1072 Campagnolo binder bolt. It can use a Sugino, but you need to grind the little tab off. I suspect the hole is oval.
Massage or make it round, then use a washer.

ultraman6970
05-14-2015, 06:49 AM
You can bent the whole back to normal... sure the bike was used with a regular bolt and screw for a long time.

There is a site of a guy that fix old bikes, he has the trick to bend that back to normal, if im not wrong he uses a lock nut or something the same diameter.

Here is the link... enjoy.

http://www.mytenspeeds.com/My_TenSpeeds_1/Site%20Contents/How_To_Do_It/How_To_Do_It_FrameCavityPrep_3_RepairingSeat%20Pos tLug.htm

ps: once rounded again just use maybe a sugino seatpost binder or what you can do is to use a brake nut, some of those have a wider section that will hold better and the male part out of a sugino or a campy seatpost binder.

oliver1850
05-14-2015, 11:13 AM
I'd never seen an oval one, but was hoping it existed as I don't really want to mess up the new paint. I may try a Reynolds caliper nut. Perhaps it will be small enough to fit.

thanks

ultraman6970
05-14-2015, 04:00 PM
Mark you have to try to get it fixed or will continue ovalizing you know. The procedure doesnt look like that tough in the paint job either.

Black Dog
05-14-2015, 08:46 PM
Place the closed nose of a pair of needle nose pliers in the hole oriented with the oval. The nose of the pliers is oval in profile. Rotate the pliers 90 degrees and you can work out the oval. To protect the paint you can use a thin piece of plastic or metal shim that the pliers will rub against. Do not insert the nose in as far as it will go, just far enough so that when rotated you will be pushing out the flat part of the oval.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6b/Needle_nose_pliers.jpg