PDA

View Full Version : Oro Valley Rides

dohearne
03-22-2004, 06:04 PM
In 2 weeks I will leave mud season in Vermont behind for a week and try some warm weather biking in the Tucson area. I will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Oro Valley. Any one have advice on good rides heading north from there. I was out there last October and did the SE side out towards Saguaro National Park.

Bill Bove
03-22-2004, 06:54 PM
On Saturday morning, do "The Shoot Out" but be prepared to pay for all your winter sins. It is a hard ride. Sunday, find a group going up Mt. Lemmon, lots of climbing and a great piece of pie waiting at the top followed by blast of a ride coming back down.
There is a group ride Tues. - Friday starting a the clock tower on the U.A. campus, Wednsday it goes for 60 plus miles.
Check out Fair Wheel Cycles for starting times.
My favorite loop is the one used in the Tuscon Classic around and up Gates Pass.
Have fun.

shazer
03-23-2004, 10:13 AM
North on Oracle Road to the town of Oracle. Great shoulder gradual rise all the way. Good speed back South! If your need is more miles and climbing, go on into the town of Mammoth and back. Start early (6:15 am) and bring lots of water! Traffic is tough later in the day. Water is scarce between towns.

North on Oracle to Ranch Vistoso loop back south to Tangerine Rd. west to I-10 frontage road, north to Avra Valley Road, west to Sandario Rd, south to Picture Rocks Rd. or Mile Wide then back to town east over the Tucson Mountains.

Contacts above are all good, but we're in the middle of race season here so the pace can be brutal. Be prepared!

Contact me off forum if you need more info.

shazer

dohearne
03-23-2004, 10:37 AM
"Contacts above are all good, but we're in the middle of race season here so the pace can be brutal"

Shazer,

Thanks for the suggestions. Even if I weren't just starting the bike season, I wouldn't try to hang with serious riders. I will be with my wife and I am just looking to start getting some miles in while she sleeps.

shazer
03-24-2004, 11:09 AM
I'd stick to the ride to Oracle. Out and back with good effort out, and fun speed back! Nice wide shoulders and quite a few riders along the way. If you want less miles, turn back when you're ready. Oracle is a 1000 ft elevation gain from Tucson. Detour through Rancho Vistoso for fun. Have a great stay!

shazer

66 degrees this am at 6:00. Windbreaker or vest, no tights, short gloves. Best time of the year to ride!