PDA

View Full Version : Anyone knowingly riding a frame that is too big for you?

roubaix
05-11-2015, 09:50 AM
Hi everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone here is riding a frame that is larger than their ideal fit?

As some of you may know from other threads, I'm just starting back to riding from a back injury and I was given a bike to get me started again - it's a 54cm Surly Cross Check but ideally, I'm probably a 51 or 52cm guy (so I'll ultimately replace it).

I dig the bike but I hate being "that guy" with only 5cm of seatpost showing, hahaha.

Bob Ross
05-11-2015, 09:56 AM
After almost 9 years I'm finally beginning to think that my Cannondale Synapse is just slightly too big for me. It's a 58. My Strong is more-or-less a 56.5-ish and my Bridgestone is a 57, and despite the fact that the contact points are all fairly identical I'm just beginning to realize that my position on the Cannondale isn't quite working as well as the other bikes.

Another 10 years and I'll probably be convinced!

hesh0925
05-11-2015, 10:02 AM
I did before, but only because I got the frameset for SUPER cheap. Honestly, I wouldn't do it again. This is mainly because this was a beater bike and I was too cheap to buy a new stem. The fit was bad. The bike looked a bit awkward as well.

CaptStash
05-11-2015, 10:09 AM
I have stupid long legs and arms and a short torso, so fit is sort of difficult. I have been riding 57's and 58's (I am only 5-10), so I wind up with a shortish stem (90-100mm), although seat post doesn't look too bad...

I have been moving to a more aggressive position which I am realizing is more comfortable and easier on my back, so I'm thinking it may be time to try a 56cm frame and accept a greater seat to handlebar drop.

CaptStash....

batman1425
05-11-2015, 10:21 AM
The first 3 bikes I owned were based on the deal I got rather than fit. One of which was a size too big.

Provided that you can set it up so that your contact points are in the right spots, I'd say ride it until you find something that does fit you. You may find that the handling is a bit twitchy with a short stem and your center of gravity will likely be more forward than the bike was designed for which can have an impact on handling as well. If you have to make concessions to your fit for it, I would hold out to find something else. Especially coming back from injury, your fit needs to come first.

Mark McM
05-11-2015, 10:50 AM
I guess it depends on what you mean by "too big". Bikes have multiple dimensions, so it is entirely possible that a bike can be "too big" in one dimension, but also "too small" in another dimension.

I tend to prefer a long "cockpit" (reach to the handlebars), so I generally use a frame which is taller than others my height might ride, and compensate by using a zero rise stem and no headset spacers.

hesh0925
05-11-2015, 10:51 AM
I have stupid long legs and arms and a short torso, so fit is sort of difficult. I have been riding 57's and 58's (I am only 5-10), so I wind up with a shortish stem (90-100mm), although seat post doesn't look too bad...

I have been moving to a more aggressive position which I am realizing is more comfortable and easier on my back, so I'm thinking it may be time to try a 56cm frame and accept a greater seat to handlebar drop.

CaptStash....

I'm in a similar boat. Maybe not to your extent, but I too have longer legs in proportion to my torso. 90-100mm stems and long seatposts.

shovelhd
05-11-2015, 11:04 AM
Just the opposite. My cross bike is a 52cm and I should be on a 54cm.

fuzzalow
05-11-2015, 11:17 AM
I guess it depends on what you mean by "too big". Bikes have multiple dimensions, so it is entirely possible that a bike can be "too big" in one dimension, but also "too small" in another dimension.

Agree that this is the correct and best way to look and approach the problem. Short of full custom AND depending on how well and refined you know your fit & position numbers, almost any stock bike might entail a compromise in some area of your ideal frame size/dimensions. Usually it can be worked around by seat post, stem and saddle setback adjustments if there is enough adjustability to get the approximate fit. As always the long pole in the tent gets priority with everything falling in after that if possible.

Fine tune for the balance after that initial fit and that should do it.

roubaix
05-11-2015, 11:21 AM

Maybe we should trade, hahaha

Spdntrxi
05-11-2015, 11:50 AM
I chose bike on the longest too tube and toe wheel clearance that I can get way with. Yes sometime that means less seat post sticking out but it is what it is.

Currently bike has 54.5 TT .. But I still have a little toe ol. I'm only 5'8"

cnighbor1
05-11-2015, 02:45 PM
Modern frames are sized small with more seat post exposed
Older steel frames were rode larger with less seat post exposed
Hard to compare them
but yes has I collect classic bicycle I ride a few a few cm's bigger than my normal size

eddief
05-11-2015, 03:05 PM
at 5'11" I ride the equal of many 60-62 cm frames. I think I like / need it that way to get my bars even with saddle height. In so doing, of course, the length and angle of the headtube + long steerer bring my bars back and effectively shorten the top tube / reach.

tiretrax
05-11-2015, 04:50 PM
If I were returning to cycling and had a bad back, I'd get a bike that fits properly (and have a good fitter check it).

dcama5
05-11-2015, 05:26 PM
I bought a titanium bike on this forum. It was a 59cm c/c seat tube with a 60cm c/c top tube. It was a great deal. Great Deal! However, my ideal size is 58X58. oops! Anyway, with a 90mm +17 degree stem, I got my contact points almost perfect and I can ride long distances in the drops. So, I guess it works!

shovelhd
05-11-2015, 07:06 PM

If your frame wasn't a CrossCheck, I'd consider it.

mtechnica
05-11-2015, 09:31 PM
I am 5'11 and ride a 58cm caad10 but have 120mm -17 stem and 76cm saddle height, should be on a 56 but the 58 seems fine because I like reach. If anything the biggest problem with too big of a frame is not enough drop. IMO if you're comfortable and the stem is 110-130 it's fine.

CSKeller
05-11-2015, 11:01 PM
I've never had a frame that was too big. I'm 5'11" and ride a 57 or 58. One of my bikes is custom. I always go for a frame with a proper top tube length which for me is 57 - 58.5. I match the reach and stack so they all fit properly.

I'm really not a fan of the people that brag about how light their bike is..."oh, check me out!! My bike is 13 lbs!!" I then find out that they are 6'2" and their frame is a 52....wth??!!!

Sometimes it takes some experimentation but get fit properly and you will be a happy camper and riding will be enjoyable!

Javaman
05-12-2015, 12:40 AM
I never had a fitting done but was told that at 5'9" I should ride a 54.5 TT bike with a 110mm stem and that's the rule I tried to follow. Since joining the forum I learned that I could ride all the way to 56 TT (max 55 ST ctc) with a 100 mm stem so I guess my answer is yes I ride a bike that a few cm big but I can still "get close" to my ideal fit. Now if I see a 57 TT Vanilla for a great price, I probably buy it and ride it too. ;)

CMiller
05-12-2015, 01:24 AM
On road bikes I enjoy larger frames so I can get the bars up a bit higher. On mountain bikes I size down for clearance.

Jetlau3
05-12-2015, 01:44 AM
I'm 5'10.5 and Im riding a cervelo s2. Fitted with an 80mm stem and can tell the bike is slightly large . Contact points are right but could benefit from a 54 and a longer stem . Makes no difference when not racing and have done very long rides with no pain . Steering feels fine also with no noticeable twitchiness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

k-mac
05-12-2015, 02:49 PM
Yep, I'm 5'10", but with a long torso and short legs. Back in the old days, the solution was a 56 frame with almost no seat pin showing and 135 stems. Now, with sloping top tubes, I can show a little more seat pin and get back into the 120 range on stems, but I am currently riding a 52 Colnago CLX and I should probably be on a 50.

nooneline
05-12-2015, 03:29 PM
I had a bike that was "too big" for a while.

Even though I got the contact points in the right places, my weight distribution was too far off with that short stem. I never felt great cornering - and I thought it was me. But when I got a different bike, suddenly - seriously, it happened overnight - I got a lot better at cornering and descending aggressively.

roubaix
05-14-2015, 09:37 AM
Well I just received my new wheelset that Peterbuilt for me here.

Still maybe a tad large for me but once I can start riding again and regain my health, maybe I'll find that I'm 100% good to go!

http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af251/crashbangboomable/CC_zpsocd3kvw0.jpg

RonW87
05-14-2015, 02:07 PM
Roubaix,

My take, FWIW, is that there's not much seatpost showing and the bars are way up high. That might work fine for your type of riding. If you were riding in the rain and went into a sharp corner with the bike angled over, let's just say I wouldn't want to be on your wheel. Where your bars are placed increases the chance of the front wheel washing out.

R.

roubaix
05-14-2015, 02:24 PM
Roubaix,

My take, FWIW, is that there's not much seatpost showing and the bars are way up high. That might work fine for your type of riding. If you were riding in the rain and went into a sharp corner with the bike angled over, let's just say I wouldn't want to be on your wheel. Where your bars are placed increases the chance of the front wheel washing out.

R.

I appreciate the insight! This is a temporary ride, once I'm actually able to be back on the bike for a while, I'b changing to another frame. As noted before, this is a 54 (graciously built up and given to me) and I used to ride a 53 that felt big so depending on the ride, I think I'm more of a 51(?) guy.

I'm 5' 9.5" with a 30" +/- inseam.

This will work....for now, LOL!

unterhausen
05-14-2015, 03:49 PM
I always joke that one bike I ride is "French fit," which means it's too big. Top tube is about right. The only problem I have with that bike is that the seat stays hit my thighs. I built the frame, but not for me. As long as the proper position can be established, there really is no difference.